PDA

View Full Version : Church fights Da Vinci Code novel

Seshmeister
03-15-2005, 10:01 AM
The Vatican has spoken out against what it says are "shameful and unfounded lies" in the best-selling but highly controversial novel The Da Vinci Code.

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, Archbishop of Genoa, has broken the Catholic Church's official silence on the book.

Its story about the Church suppressing the "truth" that Jesus had a child with Mary Magdalene has convinced many fans.

But the cardinal's spokesman denied reports that the clergyman was asked by the Vatican to hit back at the book.

Carlo Arcolao told the BBC's News website that it had been the cardinal's own decision to make a public statement about the book.

Mr Arcolao confirmed that the cardinal told an Italian newspaper: "It astonishes and worries me that so many people believe these lies."

The archbishop Il Giornale: "The book is everywhere. There is a very real risk that many people who read it will believe that the fables it contains are true."

The Da Vinci Code has made author Dan Brown a household name
The book, by US author Dan Brown, has been a publishing sensation around the world and is still in best-seller lists.

Its conspiracy theories and thriller style, in which two code-breakers try to track down the truth behind the Holy Grail, have caught the imaginations of millions.

Its central claim is that the Holy Grail is really the bloodline descended from Jesus and Mary Magdalene - which the Church is supposed to have covered up, along with the female role in Christianity.

Brown has previously said: "All of the art, architecture, secret rituals, secret societies, all of that is historical fact."

'Unmask lies'

On Wednesday, Cardinal Bertone will host a seminar called Storia Senza Storia (Story Without History) to rebut the claims.

He said he wanted "to unmask the lies" so readers could see how "shameful and unfounded" the book was.

The cardinal has been deputy to Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the man known as "the Pope's enforcer" and a possible successor to the pontiff.

As well as the original novel, published in 2003, another 10 books have been written to debunk its claims and a booming tourist industry has sprung up around its sites.

It is also being turned into a film starring Tom Hanks, Jean Reno and Audrey Tautou. Publisher Transworld was unavailable for comment.

Seshmeister
03-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Mr Arcolao confirmed that the cardinal told an Italian newspaper: "It astonishes and worries me that so many people believe these lies."

The archbishop Il Giornale: "The book is everywhere. There is a very real risk that many people who read it will believe that the fables it contains are true."

Mr Pot meet Mr Black Kettle...:)

Oh the irony, LMFAO!

Cheers!

:gulp:

BigBadBrian
03-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Mr Pot meet Mr Black Kettle...:)

Oh the irony, LMFAO!

Cheers!

:gulp:

Sesh is really pissed at the Catholics this week I guess. They trying to kidnap and baptize your little girl behind your back, Sesh? :gulp:

LoungeMachine
03-15-2005, 10:18 AM

Yes indeed.

The Book is everyhere.

There is a risk that many people who read it will believe the fables contained within

:D :D :D

Fucking classic.

Seshmeister
03-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Sesh is really pissed at the Catholics this week I guess. They trying to kidnap and baptize your little girl behind your back, Sesh? :gulp:

I think they usually prefer little boys...