PDA

View Full Version : Why must FORD edit other people's posts?

BigBadBrian
03-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Motherfucker deleted out my smilie of

http://civilwarclipart.com/Clipartgallery/images/smileys/bulldozer3.gif

in post #12 of this thread. (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=436231#post436231) FORD can shovel the shit but he can't take it. :mad:

Bastard.

academic punk
03-15-2005, 03:29 PM
The irony is that the left is always complaining (rightfully) of how this administration manufactures the news, and glosses over conflicting facts to their agenda...and yet....

Warham
03-15-2005, 03:44 PM
How low can you go, FORD?

Dr. Love
03-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Nice emoticon. :cool:

Guitar Shark
03-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Now if we could just find one with Kurt Cobain under the 'dozer... ;)

FORD
03-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah, let's just glorify terrorists murdering people and pretend it's a source of humor.

Fuck off Brian, you antagonistic pussy.

Anonymous
03-15-2005, 06:33 PM
At the risk of being misunderstood, and therefore beaten up by a lot of ignorants who don't bother to read a post 'till the end, I have to say I agree with Brian on this. NOT in what the emoticon represents, but the fact of being censored. Censorship is disgusting. If people can't express their views - stupid as they may be - that's a dictatorship. We might as well create a new Hitler and let it conquer the world, and all...

Free world, free speech. Even for Katydid. *winces in pain*

Cheers! :bottle:

Warham
03-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Please, don't bring up Hitler around FORD...

Anonymous
03-15-2005, 06:41 PM
Why not? SIEG HEIL!

By the way, how do you say in German "Where are your papers? Get in the train, NOW!" :D

diamondD
03-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Hey FORD, weren't you always the most vocal about being censored at all of the other boards (before you were banned) because people couldn't stand the truth about VH? What's the difference? I think we're all adult enough to be able to look at that emoticon without you making that decision.

That said, the "keep the schlongs edited out" is still gold.

FORD
03-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
Why not? SIEG HEIL!

By the way, how do you say in German "Where are your papers? Get in the train, NOW!" :D

Not sure. But in chimp language it translates into "yer either for us or for the terraists"

Anonymous
03-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Not sure. But in chimp language it translates into "yer either for us or for the terraists"

Well, I'm against terrorism in all its forms, FORD. I say, blow their fuckin' heads off. They'd do it to us, anyway.

But I'm also against censorship... in all its forms. Sorry FORD, but I have to give reason to Brian on this one.

Steve Savicki
03-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Actually, I support what FORD did. A smiley is to make one smile, hence its name, but after seeing that smiley in this thread, I must say, I wasn't really smiling.

Can't people just use emoticons with the simple round facial expression without all the animation and violence?

*wonders whoever made the bulldozer smiley does in his/her real life and how much time he/she has on her hands"

Lou
03-15-2005, 08:44 PM
It's funny, when you get down to it everyone, conservatives and liberals alike, hate free speech at some point.

You can't edit someone's post just because you don't like the message. You just can't.

academic punk
03-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Lou

You can't edit someone's post just because you don't like the message. You just can't.

LOU, that's complete bullshit. And if it were in my power, I'd delete your above statements entirely.

;)

academic punk
03-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Actually, in light of this, the wider picture is, was it right to delete Katydid's threads?

Anonymous
03-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Actually, in light of this, the wider picture is, was it right to delete Katydid's threads?

Er... yes. I mean, that wasn't censorship. She wasn't proclaiming her point of view about anything, she was just copy-pasting bullshit.

academic punk
03-15-2005, 09:50 PM
I knew we'd find some way to rationalize that!

Anonymous
03-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Always a pleasure. :D

Big Troubles
03-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
Why not? SIEG HEIL!

:rofl:

Lou
03-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Granted rotharmy.com isn't an arm of the government so this doesn't apply here, but under Constitutional law the government cannot censor speech based on the message of the speech unless it falls into some narrowly defined exceptions. They are for the most part "indecent" speech, "obscene speech," "fighting words," "incitement," or "defamatory" speech. But everything else goes.

So yeah, pictures of penises which have zero scientific, literary or artistic value would not be protected speech. But core political speech--you better believe it is. The government would have to have one hell of a compelling reason to censor political speech and win in court. Brian's emoticon there is most definitely core political speech and frankly, that's bullshit to censor it.

Replace the character in the emoticon with one of a guy chanting "Bush is a great president," and he gets steamrolled over, ya think FORD is gonna censor that one? Uh, NO. That's why it's total bullshit that got censored.

You can't censor speech here unless it's truly obscene/indecent, etc. Period.

Rikk
03-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Granted rotharmy.com isn't an arm of the government so this doesn't apply here, but under Constitutional law the government cannot censor speech based on the message of the speech unless it falls into some narrowly defined exceptions. They are for the most part "indecent" speech, "obscene speech," "fighting words," "incitement," or "defamatory" speech. But everything else goes.

So yeah, pictures of penises which have zero scientific, literary or artistic value would not be protected speech. But core political speech--you better believe it is. The government would have to have one hell of a compelling reason to censor political speech and win in court. Brian's emoticon there is most definitely core political speech and frankly, that's bullshit to censor it.

Replace the character in the emoticon with one of a guy chanting "Bush is a great president," and he gets steamrolled over, ya think FORD is gonna censor that one? Uh, NO. That's why it's total bullshit that got censored.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=433256

Nickdfresh
03-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Lou

I don't think it should have been censored either. But a kid was run over by an armored bulldozer, explain the joke to her family.

Bill Lumbergh
03-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by academic punk
LOU, that's complete bullshit. And if it were in my power, I'd delete your above statements entirely.

;)

I wish we could delete every worthless Lou post EVER, ala Katydid..........

Cathedral
03-16-2005, 01:12 AM
I really should stay out of this...........so i will as far as my own opinion goes.

But here are the facts as they are presented to us.
This is a website, it is not governed by any laws but the law of Sarge.
Ford edits posts all the time, but he is never called on it by the higher powers, therefore he is supported in his actions, like it or not.

Another fact here is that he did not edit the text of the message, and THAT is what we are definately NOT allowed to do.
He removed what he percieved as an offensive emoticon, in basic terms, he did his job.

Again, I only stated facts and kept my personal opinion out of it.

LoungeMachine
03-16-2005, 01:25 AM
The problem is, by deleting it, all FORD really did was give Brie reason to spam it all over the Frontline and bitch about it.

It got exactly what Brie wanted. Attention.

I have the utmost respect for FORD in here. We share the same home state, the same political leanings, and the same sense of the absurd.

But he played right into the trap in my opinion. Brie would love nothing more than to complain about FORD deleting them all.

Offensive? yes.

Insensitive? yes.

Shit if we used those reasons for deletion, there would be no DLRArmy.

I say give Brie his Tonka back. It may be all he has.

MAX
03-16-2005, 01:47 AM
I dunno how I feel about this?

I once deleted, edited and changed ONE word in MAIN. Mind you, it was malicious, self serving, both ego and power driven towards another poster. In hindsight, completely wrong but this sounds similar IMO. Needless to say, I was smacked like a puppy and most deservedly cos I broke the rules.

Hence, that is why I don't get this? Shouldn't we move this somewhere else?

Cathedral
03-16-2005, 01:54 AM
I wouldn't have deleted it, that is all i know for sure.
Do i like that emoticon? Nope.

My answer would be to just close the thread and avoid it from becoming a needless flame war for 100 pages, emoticon intact.

There, i ended up sharing my opinion any-damn-way.

MAX
03-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Yeah Cat but you're Eastbound and Down. What about us pussys? lol.

Dr. Love
03-16-2005, 02:06 AM
FORD edits posts. It happens. There's no free speech right on this board.

If you don't like it, complain to Sarge.

Cathedral
03-16-2005, 02:10 AM
Max, man the fuck up, let the balls drop, forget about pissing people off and do yo thang, bloodbro!

Life is Short, Mod Hard....That goes double for the Pic Forum, lol.

Just be fair and balanced, everybody can respect that, and they actually do. (exceptions shall remain banned)

Rikk
03-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by MAX
I dunno how I feel about this?

I once deleted, edited and changed ONE word in MAIN. Mind you, it was malicious, self serving, both ego and power driven towards another poster. In hindsight, completely wrong but this sounds similar IMO. Needless to say, I was smacked like a puppy and most deservedly cos I broke the rules.

Hence, that is why I don't get this? Shouldn't we move this somewhere else?

C'mon...that was GUWAPO. He deserved it.:D

MAX
03-16-2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Max, man the fuck up, let the balls drop, forget about pissing people off and do yo thang, bloodbro!

Life is Short, Mod Hard....That goes double for the Pic Forum, lol.

Just be fair and balanced, everybody can respect that, and they actually do. (exceptions shall remain banned)

WOW CAT!!!

I'm hearing you my blood brother!!!

You are the THIRD person of whom I both respect and call a friend to tell me that today. You know what I feel like? Ever see Rocky III where Rocky fights Clubber for the first time? Rocky is in totally killer shape physically but fucked mentally. That is how I feel. Fuck this "nice" shit. I have to go back to what got me here in the first place.

Thanks bro and I mean that.

Rikk
03-16-2005, 02:41 AM
Good stuff. Being a pussy is worth nothing. Be strong, tough and take no prisoners. It brings one respect and makes people fear you.

Now shut the fuck up, you whining cunt.

FORD
03-16-2005, 02:41 AM
Considering that entire threads of Katydid posts have been wiped in the last few days, I don't want to hear any whining about me wiping one fucking lousy attempt to present terrorist murder as humor.

Rachel Corrie jokes play in this town like 9-11 jokes play in lower Manhattan. And the same goddamn thing is responsible for both - terrorist shitbags with no regard for human life. I didn't know the chick myself, but I have friends, neighbors, and co-workers who did. And they weren't laughing.

And for the record, I don't miss the Katydud threads either. As far as I'm concerned, it falls under the same category. Some fucking moron spamming the board with blatant bullshit which has nothing to do with the topic of discussion.

diamondD
03-16-2005, 08:22 AM
Yeah, but the whole board is in agreement with the Katydid thing, that's a whole different level of stupidity. You're still editing to fit your own agenda and you know it. If this had happened to you, you would still be martyring yourself as being a victim of censorship nazis.

You've been told that the Hitler/Bush pics are offensive to Jewish people by Jewish people (on a Jewish singer's site no less) and it didn't faze you a bit. So that "people you know didn't find it funny" excuse is weak.

Warham
03-16-2005, 08:34 AM
FORD doesn't think posting Nazi pics on this forum is offensive.

Nickdfresh
03-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Warham
FORD doesn't think posting Nazi pics on this forum is offensive.

I'm not sure which ones you mean, but I don't think a picture of Hilter masturbating is exactly the kind of thing you'd see on stormfront.org.

Guitar Shark
03-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
Yeah, but the whole board is in agreement with the Katydid thing, that's a whole different level of stupidity. You're still editing to fit your own agenda and you know it. If this had happened to you, you would still be martyring yourself as being a victim of censorship nazis.

You've been told that the Hitler/Bush pics are offensive to Jewish people by Jewish people (on a Jewish singer's site no less) and it didn't faze you a bit. So that "people you know didn't find it funny" excuse is weak.

Checkmate!

FORD
03-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I'm not sure which ones you mean, but I don't think a picture of Hilter masturbating is exactly the kind of thing you'd see on stormfront.org.

I don't believe I ever posted that either. In fact, I don't post pictures of Hitler at all.

I post pictures of Bush Jr. AS Hitler, but the fact is, pictures aren't even needed to prove that fucking bastard is a fascist. The PNAC agenda is the Mein Kampf of the 21st century, and the schedule they have used to implement it so far is remarkably similar to what Hitler did.

flappo
03-16-2005, 12:22 PM
people actually think i'm a racist and hate jews

which is fucking ironic , when you think i've got a wanking nude hitler in my sig

nuff said

fuck hitler and fuck nazi bullshit !

:D

Seshmeister
03-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Grate!

You have a wanking Hitler and a quote from me in your sig.

What does that say about me...? :)

Golden AWe
03-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Grate!

You have a wanking Hitler and a quote from me in your sig.

What does that say about me...? :)

that you're the singer of the bernard edwards project?

eh?

Lou
03-16-2005, 06:23 PM
He removed what he percieved as an offensive emoticon, in basic terms, he did his job.

Again, I only stated facts and kept my personal opinion out of it.

And my point is if it were an emoticon running over a pro-Bush guy it wouldn't have gotten edited, for anything anti-Bush isn't offensive in his eyes.

Guitar Shark
03-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Lou
And my point is if it were an emoticon running over a pro-Bush guy it wouldn't have gotten edited, for anything anti-Bush isn't offensive in his eyes.

LOOO!

I was beginning to think you weren't aware of this forum.

There is an important thread requiring your attention here. (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17285)

Lou
03-16-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm aware of it, I don't care though.

Dr. Love
03-16-2005, 07:44 PM
I sense this thread is about to be derailed.

Cathedral
03-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Lou

Damn straight...It's a sad state of affairs when ya got slugs coming up behind you thinking they have a right to correct your thoughts and opinions.

This site has a Big Brother, and his name is Ford.

FORD
03-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Lou

If an Israeli terrorist tank would have run over a Busheep, then we would be talking about the illegal invasion of Israel, and the entire thread would be different.

So stay out of it, Virgin-boy!

FORD
03-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Damn straight...It's a sad state of affairs when ya got slugs coming up behind you thinking they have a right to correct your thoughts and opinions.

This site has a Big Brother, and his name is Ford.

What the fuck are you talking about? :confused:

Anonymous
03-17-2005, 12:01 AM

He's talking about, FORD, that you, as a human being, have no right to judge what's right or wrong. Noone has.
Brian's post may have hurt some feelings, but he had the right to do it. Same as someone who felt ofended with it had the right to state so. So Brian would have the right to choose among a few options: Apologize, feel the person was overreacting, disregard the person's feelings completely, etc.

That's all in his rights, and he may not be wrong, regardless of what he chooses to do - yes, even if he happens to choose the third. You can never tell what happens in the long run.

Problem is, if we start to get all worried about hurting feelings, we start censoring, but that only leads to more censorship, and that solves nothing. It only serves to block freedom of speech. Example: In France, recently, a bunch of I-don't-know-what decided that it was wrong to have Jesus hang up on the walls of the schools, so demanded to have EVERY Christian symbol removed from schools (and other public places). The French government obliged, worried about 'hurting feelings'. Trouble is, those people wanted to continue using THEIR OWN religious symbols. Censor once, censor twice. No, the government decided, you can't use them. Were those people happy? Hell, no! See the problem? Jesus ofends them, so remove him. But their symbols ofend someone else, and that's a different story.

So let's summarize: if the French government told them that everyone had the right to display their beliefs, as it should've done in the first place, subsequential polemics would not have arisen. Understand?

Lack of censorship leads to dialog between the ofender and the ofended - it may end up violently, or it may end up with people understanding the other person's point of view. But that only depends on the people arguing, nothing else. But you can't expect people to accept something by pretending it's not there.

FORD
03-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Guess you owe katydoodle an apology then.

Anonymous
03-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Guess you owe katydoodle an apology then.

:D

I knew you would come forth with this one... but like I said, if she has the right to post her crap, I have the right to say I don't like it. Would I delete it if I was a mod? Not before posting a poll in non to know the opinion of the site users. Check it out, I've done it for Mr. Grim in the Dump when he started having fits of conscience.

I'm not saying that you should post a poll to every single case of possible ofending posts. I'd do it in Katy's case because she bothered most of the site.

Anonymous
03-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Of course, if you want to go deeper in the subject, noone actually has the right to post here. It's a PRIVILEGE, granted to us by Sarge. If he chose to close the site tomorrow, noone could really complain. Donated? Yes, but that's what it is... a donation. You're not buying a part of the site. Anyway, he's the only one with the right to edit posts here and he doesn't do it.

Seshmeister
03-17-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
that you're the singer of the bernard edwards project?

eh?

Say no more!

Cathedral
03-17-2005, 09:05 AM

I'm just giving you shit, bro. I'll always have at least 1% respect for you, lmmfao.
I never run my tank beyond empty. ;)

Right it down in your schedule, I'm the kinder gentler Cathedral today, haaaaaa haaaaaaaa. Only i won't be here much as i have a full list of appointments.

Can i just say here that people take this board way too fucking seriously.
And people "definately" take me waaaaaaaay too fucking seriously.

I am an extreme fanatic, just like everyone else here, or lets face it, none of us would be here as much as we are.

Roth On!