PDA

View Full Version : WTF, My "Hardware" Firewall Quit Today!

Nickdfresh
03-15-2005, 06:50 PM
My hardware firewall quit today. I'm sending it back to Linksys and they've been cool about it, so I just have my Norton software wall. And man, am I getting "pinged" by all these "remote systems" trying to access my computer! Normally, my router blocked that I guess. This sucks and is making me paranoid! Does anyone else have this problem or notice this?

Ally_Kat
03-15-2005, 08:15 PM
about three weeks ago my computer got so infected it wasn't funny. Something got in and took over Norton, so it refused to do scans or to update.

I was at school when the guy came to fix itm so I don't have any clue what actually happened cuz my father knows nothing about computers

Nickdfresh
03-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
about three weeks ago my computer got so infected it wasn't funny. Something got in and took over Norton, so it refused to do scans or to update.

I was at school when the guy came to fix itm so I don't have any clue what actually happened cuz my father knows nothing about computers

This pinging crap is why I picked up the Linksys! But it wasn't this bad before I bought the router last October. I even have the Mozilla Firefox browser, which cuts down on spyware.

Ally_Kat
03-15-2005, 11:37 PM
I have a linksys, but we have it more because my brother uses it for his PS2.

My parents are so far behind in understanding the computer world that whenever something comes up in an Adaware search, they actually blame us as if we knowingly let it come on the computer.

Dr. Love
03-16-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
My hardware firewall quit today. I'm sending it back to Linksys and they've been cool about it, so I just have my Norton software wall. And man, am I getting "pinged" by all these "remote systems" trying to access my computer! Normally, my router blocked that I guess. This sucks and is making me paranoid! Does anyone else have this problem or notice this?

What's the IP that's hitting you? 127.0.0.1?

LoungeMachine
03-16-2005, 01:13 AM

This sucks and is making me paranoid!

Perhaps it's the Neocons in Frontline :D

You rabble rouser you

You rouse rabble, you know.;)

ashstralia
03-16-2005, 05:39 AM
PEOPLE, BUY A MAC!!!!!!!!

Nickdfresh
03-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
What's the IP that's hitting you? 127.0.0.1?

All different ones. Even local IP's I think. But Norton is "recommending" that I let them access 'cause they are remote systems.

Nickdfresh
03-16-2005, 06:12 AM
I have a linksys, but we have it more because my brother uses it for his PS2.

My parents are so far behind in understanding the computer world that whenever something comes up in an Adaware search, they actually blame us as if we knowingly let it come on the computer.

Stay off the AOL! Full of adware bots and scumbags!

Ally_Kat
03-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Stay off the AOL! Full of adware bots and scumbags!

I don't have AOL. I have roadrunner.

Ally_Kat
03-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by ashstralia
PEOPLE, BUY A MAC!!!!!!!!

I work with Macs at school. I don't know how anyone can work with them. I just find them annoying to deal with.

Viking
03-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Linksys hardware has the lifespan of warm cottage cheese. I've owned two Linksys hubs and a switch - the switch blew out one port at a time, and a hub just flat went tits-up on me. I'm running a Linksys 9-port here in the bedroom, and I'm surprised it's still breathing after two years. I usually go with 3COM when possible, but I have 3COM certifications, so I admit I'm biased.

Nickdfresh
03-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Viking
Linksys hardware has the lifespan of warm cottage cheese. I've owned two Linksys hubs and a switch - the switch blew out one port at a time, and a hub just flat went tits-up on me. I'm running a Linksys 9-port here in the bedroom, and I'm surprised it's still breathing after two years. I usually go with 3COM when possible, but I have 3COM certifications, so I admit I'm biased.

They're going to replace the thing, so I won't complain, however next time I'll keep 3COM in mind.

ashstralia
03-17-2005, 07:03 AM
I work with Macs at school.
I don't know how anyone can work with them.
I just find them annoying to deal with.

ally, as a professional musician,
i think the idiot-proof operating system
was specifically engineered for ME!!!! :p