PDA

View Full Version : Cleft lip abortion done 'in good faith'

ELVIS
03-16-2005, 10:32 PM
James Meikle, health correspondent

March 17, 2005 (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1439312,00.html)

http://www.drabruzzi.com/images/Late_Term_Abortion.jpg

Doctors and health officials will consider whether more guidance on abortions is needed following the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service not to prosecute two doctors who authorised a late abortion on a fetus with a cleft lip and palate.

Jim England, the chief crown prosecutor for West Mercia, said the doctors believed, in good faith, that there was a substantial risk the child would be seriously handicapped. "In these circumstances, I decided that there was insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and that there should be no charges against either of the doctors," he said.

The inquiry began after a legal challenge over a previous decision by police not to charge the doctors involved in the abortion carried out, in 2001, on an unnamed woman from Herefordshire who was more than 24 weeks pregnant.

Joanna Jepson, 28, now at St Michael's Church, Chester, but then a trainee vicar, found out about the procedure in 2002 when studying abortion statistics and suggested that it amounted to unlawful killing.

Yesterday Ms Jepson said: "While I'm disappointed about the CPS's decision to drop the case, I am pleased the case has raised the issue of late-term abortion and the plight of disabled babies in late-term pregnancy. It has exposed grave discrimination and I will be seeking legal advice."

She said she might try to get clarification from the courts about whether unborn children in the third trimester have got human rights and what constituted "serious handicap".

She might consider whether to re-open a judicial review of the first decision not to prosecute. This was stayed after police decided to conduct a second inquiry into the case, admitting the initial decision was not based on a full investigation.

Ms Jepson was born with a congenital jaw defect, uncorrected until her teens, and her brother has Down's syndrome. Her lawyers had argued that a cleft palate could not be considered as a severe disability.

The prosecutor's decision coincides with heated debate over whether the 24-week limit on terminating pregnancy should be reduced. The 1967 Abortion Act allows for later termination if two doctors decide a child would be seriously handicapped.

The Department of Health would not comment on the case but the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology said it knew the doctors "were acting in good faith and within the current legislation," adding: "We now need to consider whether further guidance is needed."

Ann Furedi, chief executive of the abortion care organisation Bpas, said: "This is very good news. We were very concerned at the prosecution because this situation arose because somebody who had nothing to do with the particular case took this case to court claiming an offence had been committed."

She added: "Rather than leap into court or the papers, we need to take stock of the circumstance in which women and doctors make decisions around abortion."

The Cleft Lip and Palate Association accepted the CPS verdict.

"Our concern was that if it was beyond all doubt that all it was a cleft lip and palate, then we could not understand why a decision to terminate had been taken," said the chief executive, Gareth Davies.

:elvis:

Little_Skittles
03-16-2005, 11:02 PM
I just recently saw a special were surgery is done shortly after birth to correct such defects. This is your child and you carried it. A mother who can just do this is no mother at all, and that they didn't press charges just shows what society is coming to.

ELVIS
03-16-2005, 11:04 PM
That's right...

Little_Skittles
03-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Who's more to blame the doctor's that did this or the mother that didn't love her child unconditionally? Are they both to blame because neither denied this operation or is it the doctor for giving into the temptaion of greed (money)? Didn't the doctor(s) explain that there was an operation done shortly after birth anyways and that her baby would then be a healthy "normal" baby?

ELVIS
03-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Who knows ??

Little_Skittles
03-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Well personally i think they need to explain themselves. Because i would love to hear the excuse(s) espically the one that we did this in "good faith".

Warham
03-17-2005, 06:48 AM
A fucking cleft lip????

That's grounds for abortion now?

Jesus, it's gonna come to kids having the wrong hair color.

Just sick.

She's gonna have some explaining to do later, and I ain't talking about this life.

Seshmeister
03-17-2005, 07:36 AM
I think the real disability was having the genes of the mother.

BigBadBrian
03-17-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I think the real disability was having the genes of the mother.

Yup. Maybe it is best that gene pool is halted.

John Ashcroft
03-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Sick.

Didn't the NAZIs do this type of thing?

I thought the world decided long ago that this was a bad thing.

LoungeMachine
03-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Warham
A fucking cleft lip????

That's grounds for abortion now?

Jesus, it's gonna come to kids having the wrong hair color.

Just sick.

She's gonna have some explaining to do later, and I ain't talking about this life.

We agree.

Warham is 100% correct.

Satan
03-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Geez.... next thing you know, they'll be considering horns and tails as birth defects http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/smiley_evilFrown.gif

LoungeMachine
03-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Satan
Geez.... next thing you know, they'll be considering horns and tails as birth defects http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/smiley_evilFrown.gif

But katy's parents kept her anyway.....

Seshmeister
03-18-2005, 12:18 AM
It's funny how so mant people get excited about one kid getting terminated by some nasty cunt mother but couldn't give a flying fuck about their troops killing 50 000 kids.

Gimme a break.

Cheers!

:gulp:

kentuckyklira
03-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Snuff it!

scorpioboy33
03-18-2005, 03:39 PM
It's funny how so mant people get excited about one kid getting terminated by some nasty cunt mother but couldn't give a flying fuck about their troops killing 50 000 kids.

Gimme a break.

Cheers!

well said...

Warham
03-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
We agree.

Warham is 100% correct.

Do you have a fever, Lounge?

:D

UNCLAX72
03-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Little_Skittles
I just recently saw a special were surgery is done shortly after birth to correct such defects. This is your child and you carried it. A mother who can just do this is no mother at all, and that they didn't press charges just shows what society is coming to.

I completely agree with you

UNCLAX72
03-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Sick.

Didn't the NAZIs do this type of thing?

I thought the world decided long ago that this was a bad thing.

yeah its called (I don't know how the fuck to spell it)
Youthenesia or something It's fuckingsick and anyone who commits it should fuckin die

FORD
03-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Nonsense. Euthanize all stupid people now, before they breed.

Warham
03-20-2005, 06:40 PM
FORD,

I'd say that you'd eliminate a good portion of folks who post on this forum if you did that.

Island Boy
03-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by FORD

LMAO!!!

BigBadBrian
03-20-2005, 06:55 PM

You'd be a goner.

FORD
03-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Warham
FORD,

I'd say that you'd eliminate a good portion of folks who post on this forum if you did that.

Look at the post right above mine and tell me how that would be a bad thing ;)

Nickdfresh
03-20-2005, 07:31 PM
They should have saved the baby and aborted the mother.

Nickdfresh
03-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by UNCLAX72
yeah its called (I don't know how the fuck to spell it)
Youthenesia or something It's fuckingsick and anyone who commits it should fuckin die

www.m-w.com Or any dictionary.

Warham
03-20-2005, 08:54 PM
I'm sure Lounge doesn't have a problem with this.

Nitro Express
03-20-2005, 09:22 PM
There's always someone who wants to clone their deffinition of perfect and give the rest a dose of Ziclon B. I think God is the master comedian. He slowly allows us to develop the technology to play Godlike games but he knows we can handle the power. In the end, we will just destroy ourselves with our technology as God has a good laugh. Do the righteouse really go to heaven or are we all ants in some mighty beings jar and he's got som M-80', lighter fluid, matches, and a big ass magnifying glass. Maybe life is the biggest joke of all.

Cathedral
03-20-2005, 11:31 PM

Gimme a break.

Cheers!

One break, coming up!

I give a flying fuck about all life, dude.
Not one shell left my guns to kill any children.

Warham
03-21-2005, 06:33 AM
It's a weak charge leveled by most liberals, Cath.

They somehow think 1,500 troops being killed is worse than 40 million abortions.

Seshmeister
03-21-2005, 06:42 AM
Typical...lol

I wasn't talking about US casualties I was talking about US victims...

Warham
03-21-2005, 06:47 AM
I consider those casualties.

BigBadBrian
03-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Look at the post right above mine and tell me how that would be a bad thing ;)

Can't leave well enough alone, can you?

Once again, FORD has deleted one of my posts.

That's right.

I responded to this post last night and he deleted it.

Fucking baby.

http://civilwarclipart.com/Clipartgallery/images/smileys/bulldozer3.gif

kentuckyklira
03-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Can't leave well enough alone, can you?

Once again, FORD has deleted one of my posts.

That's right.

I responded to this post last night and he deleted it.

Fucking baby.

http://civilwarclipart.com/Clipartgallery/images/smileys/bulldozer3.gif Have a kleenex!

:daisy: