PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Knight contacted by Tennessee for their head coaching job

POJO_Risin
03-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Could it be that Bobby Knight is about to step into the SEC as Tennessee's new coach? He'd make them good...and we'd have to listen to fucking bitching and moaning from Kentucky about how much he's a shitheal when he beats them every year...

but should the General finish his career at a school that matters?

Not the Tennessee is a school that matters...but he could get bigtime there...IMHO...

Is Knight leaving Texas Tech?
Story Tools: Print Email
FOXSports.com
Posted: 56 minutes ago

According to a television report out of Knoxville, the marketing firm hired by the University of Tennessee to conduct its coaching search has put out a feeler to the legendary coach.

WVLT is reporting that L.A.-based Champ Sports has contacted a Knight representative. A similar report on the Knoxville News-Sentinel web site quotes an anonymous source within the UT athletic department as saying Knight was "intrigued" about the position.

Texas Tech spokesperson Randy Farley told the station it was the first he had heard of it, and that as far as he was aware, Knight had not been contacted about the Volunteers' coaching vacancy.

Knight is preparing to lead his Red Raiders against UCLA in a first-round tournament game on Thursday.

UCLA earned a No. 11 seed, claiming one of the last at-large bids to the field of 65. That put the Bruins into the tournament for the first time under Ben Howland and the first time since 2002, Knight's first season at Texas Tech.

Knight reached his last Final Four and evened his series with UCLA at 3-3 in 1992 when Indiana beat UCLA in a regional final game. That game was in Albuquerque, and the winner of Thursday's game will be one victory from going back there.

Both teams played well late in the season. UCLA won four of five and eight of its final 12 games, while Texas Tech nearly won the Big 12 tournament, falling 72-68 to Oklahoma State in the championship game.

redblkwht
03-17-2005, 12:50 AM
The only thing is legendary is he lost more Ncaa tourneys
i read yesterday, than anyone..my question is, is there
anything left in him?
Bobby should retire.IMO;)

POJO_Risin
03-17-2005, 01:01 AM
Yeah...there's nothing legendary about a guy that's perched to have the most wins in NCAA history...

and 2 NCAA titles...

and the fact that he's gotten an undermanned Texas Tech team into the NCAA tourney each year he's been there...cept maybe his first...

nothing legendary at all...

redblkwht
03-17-2005, 10:22 AM
No offense bro, i dont see anyone legendary choking thier son
on national tv or throwing chairs on the floor.
Wins/Losses? i agree, but his attitude may play him out
of a NCAA HOF, by of many of his peers.
If he is inducted he'll be long gone.

vanzilla
03-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Damn, I wish I would've seen this yesterday. In today's Tennessean, when asked about the UT job , Knight is quoted as saying "I read something at some point during the season where I was interested in coaching a job that would be one of the last jobs...I mean I'd quit before I'd taken it....I've gotten a little bit tired of that over my time in coaching."

When asked if that werea a yes or a no, Knight responded, "If you can't get an answer from that you ought ot go back to school."

--So it sounds like Bobby isn't all that interested in going there. I can't blame him. With the success of the football team and women' s basketball the men's team is a 3 tier program. I think it's good that UT is setting their sights on someone big. But I don't think Knight would take a step down and move to Knoxville.

vanzilla
03-24-2005, 02:07 AM
Should've posted this a few days ago. Apparently there is more to this than meets the eye. My sources tell me (jesus - this sounds like a fucking VH reunion rumor thread) that it was actually Bobby Knight's entourage that made the first contact with Tennessee. This was confirmed by their AD. Also they made this contact before the tourney, just one day after Buzz was bounced.

I have a hard time believing that Knight would go to UT and be the low man on the totem pole behind Fulmer and Summitt. But people tell me he would love to face UK on the courts twice a year, so much so that a return to the SEC isn't completely out of the question.

But - I have a feeling that Tech will try to lock him up, especially if they make it to the Elite 8.

POJO_Risin
03-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by redblkwht
No offense bro, i dont see anyone legendary choking thier son
on national tv or throwing chairs on the floor.
Wins/Losses? i agree, but his attitude may play him out
of a NCAA HOF, by of many of his peers.
If he is inducted he'll be long gone.

He didn't choke his son...he kicked him...

and he threw the fucking chair 20 years ago...

no offense bro...but you're sounding like that old fucker Brand...

here's the deal with Knight...if you talk to any of his players that stick it out at Indiana...any of them...they'll tell you that Knight is as close to them as their parents (and yeah...that includes his son...)...

Wins and Losses? You talk about a couple of incidents that were a dark mark on his resume...especially when he kicked Pat.

The Chair? Christ...is that any worse than what any major league manager does when they get pissed off?

Bobby Knight hates the media and treats them like shit. They, in turn, treat him like shit...and that's plain and simple.

Knight is a hard ass...which is why many top recruits don't play for him. They can't handle it...

What does Knight do well?

Not necesarily in order:

1. Coach Basketball...3 national titles...

2. Lead Young Men...like I said...most of his players and former players have gotten their jobs through Knight...have him at their weddings...etc...

3. Graduate kids...and not put up with cheating in his program...

yeah...you're right...nothing legendary about that.

POJO_Risin
03-24-2005, 11:47 PM
The question is though...does Knight want to end up at Tech...and the answer is no...

Knight wants to be in a league in which he can show Indiana how they fucked up...

You really have to think that he wanted that OSU job last year...

it would have been fantastic...

redblkwht
03-25-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

yeah...you're right...nothing legendary about that. LMMFAO
you lit it up there bro can i call you bobby? or al?
you can call me ray, you can
call me jay
or you can call me RJJ Jr.

redblkwht
03-25-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

You really have to think that he wanted that OSU job last year...

it would have been fantastic... I agree he will end up somewhere to stick it to the Hoosier GM & Execs.

vanzilla
03-25-2005, 01:58 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by POJO_Risin

here's the deal with Knight...if you talk to any of his players that stick it out at Indiana...any of them...they'll tell you that Knight is as close to them as their parents (and yeah...that includes his son...)...

Great point POJO. I'm friends with Kirk Haston who left Indiana early to go to the NBA (Not the best decision he's made BTW). We've talked at length about Bobby's personality.

Basically - he told me that he pushes people's buttons in order to get the best out of them. You may not agree with his techniques - but they've been proven over time. He also told me Knight truly cares about his players and treats them as if they were his own sons. Kirk's mom died in a tornado while he was playing at Indiana and he told me Bobby was the first person there to offer condolenses.

I think generally the media misunderstands the way he operates (basically because a lot of us are fucking retards that have no business doing what we're doing) and as a result he gets frustrated and blows up.

I don't think he's the best at anger management, but if I had a son -I'd absolutely have no problem letting Knight coach him.

POJO_Risin
03-25-2005, 04:55 PM
My cousin worked a couple of camps that Knight did some talks at...

My cousin said that Knight took the time not only to talk to all the high school kids about their game...and he said ALL the kids...even the ones that were afraid to talk to them...

but he sat down with my cousin (who was 26 at the time and in his first year of coaching) and talked to him about philosophy of the game...about how to demand respect from your players at all cost...and about the demeanor that you carry yourself with people OUTSIDE the confines of the team...parents...administration, etc. The one thing that he told Trav was to always remember that the team comes first, but to learn to dance with administration a bit better than he does...but to never let that come between what he does with the team...

I don't know any players that played for him, but Steve Alford was quoted this past year as talking about his relationship with Knight over the years...it's up and down moments...and how it's on strong footing right now. He talked about how Knight made him successful in college...but put a lot of pressure on him during their NCAA runs...and how Knight apologized for that during a conversation they had recently. Alford also talked about the similarities between Knight and his father, and how it's always important to Alford that he perform in a manner that would make Knight proud...even now...

the only reason why I mention Alford is because at this stage of his career...I would have to think that he would be the front runner for the Indiana job should Davis get canned...and how that plays out...could be interesting...

I would WANT my son to play for Knight...he's one of only a few that demand the respect that most coaches today don't...

tough love