PDA

View Full Version : Dem Convention Security Plan Challenged

lucky wilbury
02-20-2004, 06:44 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,112042,00.html

Dem Convention Security Plan Challenged

Friday, February 20, 2004

BOSTON — Attorneys are challenging a preliminary security plan for this summer's Democratic National Convention (search) that would limit protesters to a small patch of land virtually out of sight of the convention hall.

The plan would restrict protests to a triangle-shaped site near the FleetCenter (search), which attorneys fear could be obscured from view by buses and television satellite trucks, making demonstrations useless.

"What's the point to just have a rally when you don't have an audience for whom the rally is organized?" said Urszula Masny-Latos, executive director of the Massachusetts chapter of the National Lawyers Guild (search).

A spokeswoman for Boston police said the department is committed to accommodating protesters, but because of the urban setting, there are few open areas near the arena suitable for demonstrations.

"Our first priority is public safety, but people have a right to come and be heard, and we totally understand that, and we're supportive of that," police spokeswoman Mariellen Burns said.

If protesters are restricted only to the small pen without fear of arrest or harassment, attorneys will take their challenge to court, said Carol Rose, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union (search) of Massachusetts. The ACLU has joined with the lawyers guild to ask police to change the plan so delegates will have to walk past protesters.

Convention organizers are asking groups that want to demonstrate to use a proposed "free speech zone" at designated times, with limited protests allowed outside the zone.

A similar situation arose during the 2000 Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles, where protesters were initially restricted to an area blocks from delegates. A federal judge ruled the protest area was unconstitutional and ordered that protesters be allowed to demonstrate in a parking lot across the street from the convention's entrance.

FORD
02-20-2004, 07:53 PM
As I said before, the only borders of my Freedom of Speech zone are the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.

BTW, I'm seriously thinking about a vacation on the East Coast this summer. Depends on which convention I decide to protest :D

Pink Spider
02-20-2004, 08:21 PM
As if anyone needed more proof that the Democratic party has gone RepubliNAZI light.

What's next? The burning of subversive literature? Homeland SSecurity approved signs?

Seshmeister
02-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Sounds familiar.

In the UK the Labour party (Democrats) have been pulling the same shit for a few years now.

What they used to do is have delegates that decided what the poliies should be but that wes considered 'media unfriendly'.

Cheers!

:gulp:

FORD
02-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Maybe that's why Terry McUseless is now referring to the warmongering Judasbots as "Blair Democrats"?? Because they're dictator appeasing poodles just like Tony.

The "New Labour Party" is apparently the British DLC.

Seshmeister
02-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Yup!

The only difference is that the conservatives are still seen as unelectable here.

There is no way someone like Bush could ever have survived the weekly barrage of live debate.

Cheers!

:gulp:

BigBadBrian
02-21-2004, 07:06 AM
The Democrats going to all of this security trouble is hilarious. Hell, the terrorists want them to win. :D

BigBadBrian
02-21-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Yup!

The only difference is that the conservatives are still seen as unelectable here.

There is no way someone like Bush could ever have survived the weekly barrage of live debate.

Debate? Watching the House of Commons is a hoot! :D

They do more grumbling and agreeing than debating. It looks like a beer hall minus the suds. It is entertaining, though. Watching Congress is like watching bread bake. They need more fistfights. Bottoms Up. :gulp:

FORD
02-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Actually the Taiwanese parlaiment is the really entertaining one. Needs subtitles though, because I don't know what the fuck they're yelling about.

seriously though, at least they still debate. Which is more than I can say for a lot of the so called opposition party in this country :(

lucky wilbury
02-21-2004, 04:11 PM
i always like the fist fights that break out overseas. nothing like a bunch of drunk russians calling each other assholes as they throw shoes at each other.