PDA

View Full Version : Bush's Fake News

Nickdfresh
03-17-2005, 11:11 AM
originalreport
Government Blurring the Line on News?
Bush Defends Use of Government-Produced Reports
President Bush points to a questioner during a news conference at the White House._(Jim Bourg/Reuters)

By JAKE TAPPER and AMY THOMAS
WASHINGTON, March 16, 2005 —_President Bush today defended his administration's use of video news releases packaged as news stories, which have been sent to local television stations across the country and sometimes broadcast with no indication they were made by the government.
A report, for example, about the president's controversial education bill — which was presented as news on many local stations including those in Houston and Washington — ended with the words: "This is a program that gets an 'A-plus.' In Washington, Karen Ryan reporting."

But Karen Ryan is not a reporter. She works in public relations and was hired by the Bush administration to voice the government-produced news stories.
The U.S. Government Accountability Office — the investigative arm of Congress — ruled last month at least two of the broadcast reports — ones about Medicare and illegal narcotics — were "covert propaganda" and illegal.
"It was not clear from the prepackaged news stories who the source of the information was," David Walker, comptroller general of the GAO, told ABC News. "It was pretty clear that these were intended to go directly to the viewing audience without any editing."
According to Walker, this creates both legal and ethical issues, "not only on behalf of the people who are putting these together, but frankly on behalf of the news organizations who are using them."
Bush said in a press conference today there is nothing wrong with releasing the videos, basing his argument on two administration memos uncovered this week, written by Steven G. Bradbury, principal deputy assistant attorney general, and Joshua B. Bolten, director of the Office of Management and Budget.
"There is a Justice Department opinion that says these pieces are OK so long as they're based upon facts, not advocacy," said Bush. "And I expect our agencies to adhere to that ruling."
But the GAO investigation found the prepackaged news stories did not always stick to the facts.

For instance, the GAO found a report on Medicare — broadcast as "news" in Dallas, Atlanta and Baltimore — to be "not strictly factual," and containing "notable omissions and weaknesses."

The Clinton administration was the first to use such video news releases. Public relations executives interviewed by ABC News say the reports cross a line when presented as if they are news.

"It should have said, 'This is Karen Ryan from the Department of Education.' I have strong ethical problems with not identifying the source," said Judith T. Phair, president and chief executive officer of the Public Relations Society of America.

At a news conference in January, after the disclosure that his administration paid conservative commentator Armstrong Williams nearly a quarter of a million dollars to publicly support his policies, the president said, "There needs to be a nice, independent relationship between the White House and the press, the administration and the press."

But in his memo, Bolten backs off that declaration, stating it is up to each department or agency if they want to enter into a "specific contract with members of the news media, for consulting or other services."

It's a further blurring of the rules in an already muddled situation.

ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Politics/story?id=587288&page=1)

LoungeMachine
03-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

But the GAO investigation found the prepackaged news stories did not always stick to the facts.

ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Politics/story?id=587288&page=1)

No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you kidding me???????????????????????

Bush and Co. NOT STICKING TO THE FACTS????????

I'm shocked, shocked I am to find gambling going on in this establishment:D

steve
03-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Hello Winston.

blueturk
03-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Bush might be the most Orwellian president in history. Invitation-only town hall meetings, "freedom of speech" zones where anti-Bush protesters are kept out of sight, paid media advocates of his agendas, pre-packaged "news"...the list goes on and on. Remember, War Is Peace!

McCarrens
03-17-2005, 12:22 PM
It's obvious none of you have any media experience. Newspapers and magazines and (particularly) websites edit and print press releases as "news" all the time.

For dailies and weeklies (or hourlies, as in the current news cycle) media workers simply do not have the time to go out and research EVERY story that needs to be covered.

They depend on press releases to cover up the slack. That isn't to say that the releases aren't altered before going live or to press but the general facts remain the same.

That's the way news has been produced for at least the last 10 years.

Nickdfresh
03-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by McCarrens
It's obvious none of you have any media experience. Newspapers and magazines and (particularly) websites edit and print press releases as "news" all the time.

For dailies and weeklies (or hourlies, as in the current news cycle) media workers simply do not have the time to go out and research EVERY story that needs to be covered.

They depend on press releases to cover up the slack. That isn't to say that the releases aren't altered before going live or to press but the general facts remain the same.

That's the way news has been produced for at least the last 10 years.

It's not the same thing and you know it! The inherent difference being that media establishments take the hit if things turn out to be so far spun, that the press release is merely a deception. But an experienced journalist can spot outright bullshit, or at least check it after the fact.

This is a continual Bush ploy is merely a series of packaged Neo Con informercials, and thinly veiled "yes-men," like Gannon the Cannon, manipulating press conferences and using subterfuge to distract the tone of the conference by drawing questions away from the Bush Administration and placing the blame on Democrats.

This is clearly NOT news filtered through any critical eye, but a deception designed to market a product called ideology. Very repugnant indeed!:mad:

McCarrens
03-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Nick, you do a very good job of talking out your ass about things you don't know anything about.

Nickdfresh
03-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Nick, you do a very good job of talking out your ass about things you don't know anything about.

I'll take that from the master; but actually I have a degree in broadcast journalism. What's your degree in McKerrans?

PS: I actually felt dumber after getting that BA! LOL My speling is vary goode today-- insidious propaganda!

McCarrens
03-17-2005, 01:01 PM
I'll take that from the master; but actually I have a degree in broadcast journalism. What's your degree in McKerrans?

I don't believe that.

But my masters degree is in print journalism.

Nickdfresh
03-17-2005, 01:06 PM
I don't believe that.

But my masters degree is in print journalism.

Believe whatever you want.

I don't believe that Oral Roberts University has a journalism program; and I don't believe that you're an award winning writer.

McCarrens
03-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Believe whatever you want.

I don't believe that Oral Roberts University has a journalism program; and I don't believe that you're an award winning writer.

I'm not religious and I've never been to Oklahoma.

And why don't you believe I'm an award-winning writer?

Could it be because if that's true then what everything else I say could be true and the whole BCE/World-is-fucked house of cards you and all the rest of Ford's little lackies have built up just couldn't stand up to that?

Nickdfresh
03-17-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm not religious and I've never been to Oklahoma.

Nobody believes that one! You don't trust me when I tell you that I have a degree in broadcast journalism!

Could it be because if that's true then what everything else I say could be true and the whole BCE/World-is-fucked house of cards you and all the rest of Ford's little lackies have built up just couldn't stand up to that?

First of all I am not Ford's 'little lackey,' whomever said I believe in the BCE? I agree with Ford on a lot, but his 'lackey,' I doubt it. You're the journalist that is a Bush sycophant! How can you effectively report on a guy you so worship, and so claim to be the savior of mankind and "one of our greatest Presidents?" Muhuhawhaw... Back your idolatry up with some facts McCarrens!

McCarrens
03-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Simple. I don't write about politics. I write for a non-political magazine now.

Anyway, the target audience for the mag is <B>VERY PRO-BUSH</B> so it wouldn't matter if I let some of my bias slip in every once in a while.

And by the way, someone that has <I>any</I> schooling in journalism should have thought of the answers to those questions himself.

Just more proof you know nothing about any kind of journalistic media.

FORD
03-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Nobody believes that one! You don't trust me when I tell you that I have a degree in broadcast journalism!

First of all I am not Ford's 'little lackey,' whomever said I believe in the BCE? I agree with Ford on a lot, but his 'lackey,' I doubt it. You're the journalist that is a Bush sycophant! How can you effectively report on a guy you so worship, and so claim to be the savior of mankind and "one of our greatest Presidents?" Muhuhawhaw... Back your idolatry up with some facts McCarrens!

Busheep can't be bothered with facts. But then, neither can Bush.

FORD
03-17-2005, 02:11 PM

Anyway, the target audience for the mag is <B>VERY PRO-BUSH</B> so it wouldn't matter if I let some of my bias slip in every once in a while.

How do you figure that? I'm looking at the list of publications which your employer prints, and I don't see where any of them are political in nature, nor should they be. So how do you mean they are targeted to a Busheep audience? :confused:

McCarrens
03-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Why should I belive you know where I work?

ODShowtime
03-17-2005, 02:44 PM
originalreport
[b] "There is a Justice Department opinion that says these pieces are OK so long as they're based upon facts, not advocacy," said Bush. "And I expect our agencies to adhere to that ruling."

Exactly. When the hell did gw get clued in on the definition of "fact"?

McCarrens
03-17-2005, 02:57 PM
OD, Phil, Nick, Ford, looks like all the crazies are out today.

ODShowtime
03-17-2005, 03:26 PM
god damn right

McCarrens
03-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Have the loonies taken over the asylum?

FORD
03-17-2005, 03:40 PM
No, they took over the White House :(

Guitar Shark
03-17-2005, 04:12 PM

Believe it, it's probably as simple as an IP trace. He's done it before, but only on people whose political opinions are the opposite of his own.

McCarrens
03-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by FORD
No, they took over the White House :(

I saw that one coming as I typed the original message in.

FORD
03-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Believe it, it's probably as simple as an IP trace. He's done it before, but only on people whose political opinions are the opposite of his own.

Actually, I looked up his IP months ago, when he first appeared on this board, because I had reason to suspect he might be someone else.

I didn't mention the details of his employment, because there's no reason to do so. However, I do know enough to question his claim about writing for a Busheep audience.

Guitar Shark
03-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Actually, I looked up his IP months ago, when he first appeared on this board, because I had reason to suspect he might be someone else.

I didn't mention the details of his employment, because there's no reason to do so. However, I do know enough to question his claim about writing for a Busheep audience.

The fact that you are linking people's IP addresses with their places of employment is a disturbing abuse of power Dave. Stop being so paranoid.

FORD
03-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
The fact that you are linking people's IP addresses with their places of employment is a disturbing abuse of power Dave. Stop being so paranoid.

I'm not abusing anything. Just keeping an eye out for trolls......

Nickdfresh
03-17-2005, 05:55 PM

And by the way, someone that has <I>any</I> schooling in journalism should have thought of the answers to those questions himself.

You mean hack journalism? Dude, you write about one-level above Wayne L. Journalism is a joke, any half-wit that is willing to do packages on fires and pet rescues can get a job in this field. Though I don't pretend to have the answers to those questions, McCarrans, I don't have answers BUSHEEP, all I have are questions. You however think you have it all figured out. I fail to see how the fact that I point out how intellectually stunted and sheltered you are shows lack of journalistic training (which was a joke I admit, they teach you the worst possible style of prose writing)?

Just more proof you know nothing about any kind of journalistic media.

The only proof here is how easy it is for a half-wit dolt to get a job in the magazine writing industry. Actually, YOU KNOW nothing about foreign policy, current events, nor economic matters and you display a serious deficiency in you critical thinking. Now piss off you joke and get back to work writing Bazooka Joe cartoons fool!!

diamondD
03-17-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm not abusing anything. Just keeping an eye out for trolls......

Why? Who do you think is out to get you?

And isn't looking at the city they work in enough to tell you who they aren't?

FORD
03-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
Why? Who do you think is out to get you?

Nobody that I'm aware of at the moment. Well, not anybody online anyway.

And isn't looking at the city they work in enough to tell you who they aren't?

Not always. McCarrens IP, for example threw me off because it goes to an entirely different part of the country then to where he actually is. Still haven't figured that one out.

Seshmeister
03-17-2005, 06:27 PM

http://a1502.g.akamai.net/7/1502/6602/897f0661bec46d/www.magazine-services.net/covers/dxv/11340748.jpg

LoungeMachine
03-17-2005, 07:31 PM

:rolleyes:

Ummmm......because we read your posts.

:rolleyes:

You're so full of shit you SHOULD be writing for the Shrub.

or FAUX KNEWS