PDA

View Full Version : The Roth Army Book Club

vanzilla
03-18-2005, 12:48 AM
When I'm not spending my time here in the Roth Army finding out who the biggest cocksucker on this site is, or wondering "Did Ed really bang Gary?" I like to read a good book.

So here's your chance to share your thoughts on any book you think is worth reading.

Here's a few I've finished with some quick reviews.

I Am Charlotte Simmons - Tom Wolfe. 700 pages of college life. Read how a girl from a po-dunk town loses her virginity! Wolfe is a long winded mother fucker, but it's worth it if you can stay with it.
Grade: B

When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? - George Carlin. Makes some funny points about the 10 Commandments that's sure to piss off religious people. Other that that just mindless ramblings.
Grade: D

America: The Book - Jon Stewart. Written in a textbook form, this is the book that is best read on the can. Funny as hell. Great pictures.
Grade: B

Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown. Christ, haven't we all read this by now?
Grade: A

Angels and Demons - Dan Brown. Christ, didn't we all go out and buy this after reading Da Vinci Code?

The Very Hungry Caterpiller - Eric Carle. My 10 month old daughter's favorite!

Crazy From the Heat - David Lee Roth. Required reading for anyone on this site.

The Alcholic's Guide to Wrecking a Career in Music - Ed Van Halen
Still a work in progress. Although some chapters have been completed for many years now.

Rikk
03-18-2005, 12:51 AM
I'll think of some. In the meantime, I can say very simply that I fucking hate Oprah!!:p

franksters
03-18-2005, 12:53 AM
she makes me sick to my stomach!

Ally_Kat
03-18-2005, 01:02 AM
Jennifer Government -- A++!

bfm
03-18-2005, 01:06 AM
oprah makes me angry with her fucking bullshit, katydid should go on her show so there can be 2 ugly cunts in one room at the same time

DeadOrAlive
03-18-2005, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by vanzilla

Crazy From the Heat - David Lee Roth. Required reading for anyone on this site.

Where can i get this book?

Ally_Kat
03-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive

Books stores...libraries...any place with books.

Carmine
03-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive

Amazon.com

DOA, they have alot of brand new hardcovers available for $20!!

kentuckyklira
03-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Read both Dan Brown books. Good stuff, but he´ll have to work hard to write another book in that direction.

Just ordered

"The Book Of The Law" and "The Book Of Lies" by Aleister Crowley. Can´t wait to get them.

Carmine
03-18-2005, 08:02 AM
The Mario Puzo Library: The Godfather, The Family, The Sicilian, Omerta, Fools Die, Dark Arena, The Last Don, The Fourth K, Fortunate Pilgrim.

The Godfather Returns- I am reading this now. The story goes inside of the Godfather parts 1 and 2, into Michaels assention to power. Alot more details that the movies....set in 1955 thru the 60's. AWESOME BOOK, so far!!

Steven King- Dreamcatcher: Great book, shitty movie!

David Lee Roth: Crazy from the heat.....of course!!

moose
03-18-2005, 08:37 AM
CFTH, Lord of the Rings(all 3), The Hobbit, Catcher in The Rye, anything by Peter Hathaway Capstick, Jack O'conner. Many more I can list but I'm just lazy right now.
Can someone give me a quick "dummy guide lesson" as to what the DaVinci code is about.
Cheers

Carmine
03-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by moose

Can someone give me a quick "dummy guide lesson" as to what the DaVinci code is about.
Cheers

Me too...I almost bought it the other day, just cause everybody says its great!!

probably will pick it up today.

Nickdfresh
03-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Books stores...libraries...any place with books.

Not that easy since it's out-of-print!:(

Carmine
03-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Not that easy since it's out-of-print!:(

I got another copy just last week at Amazon.com for $20. Brand new hardcover!!

My frikkin labrador pup ate my other one!!:rolleyes:

moose
03-18-2005, 08:55 AM
[
My frikkin labrador pup ate my other one!!:rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

Yellow, Black or Chocolate?? I'm thinking of getting one for the kids(and hunting of course) but I'm leaning more towards a yellow.

academic punk
03-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Amazon is an excellent source for out of print books, as is Ebay.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Carmine
03-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Choclate Lab, AP....

I have a 9 year old boy and a 6 year old girl. GREAT dog with the kids!! She's only 6 months old now, but, already does the "sit", "shake" and fetch!

took 4 months to teach her to stop shittin' in the living room though! LOL

moose
03-18-2005, 09:08 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17, 2003
Spinning a Thriller From the Louvre
By JANET MASLIN

he word for "The Da Vinci Code" is a rare invertible palindrome. Rotated 180 degrees on a horizontal axis so that it is upside down, it denotes the maternal essence that is sometimes linked to the sport of soccer. Read right side up, it concisely conveys the kind of extreme enthusiasm with which this riddle-filled, code-breaking, exhilaratingly brainy thriller can be recommended.

That word is wow.

The author is Dan Brown (a name you will want to remember). In this gleefully erudite suspense novel, Mr. Brown takes the format he has been developing through three earlier novels and fine-tunes it to blockbuster perfection. Not since the advent of Harry Potter has an author so flagrantly delighted in leading readers on a breathless chase and coaxing them through hoops.

The first book by this onetime teacher, the 1998 "Digital Fortress," had a foxy heroine named Susan Fletcher who was the National Security Agency's head cryptographer. The second, "Deception Point," involved NASA, a scientific ruse in the Arctic and Rachel Sexton, an intelligence analyst with a hairdo "long enough to be sexy, but short enough to remind you she was probably smarter than you."

With "Angels and Demons," Mr. Brown introduced Robert Langdon, a Harvard professor of art history and religious symbology who is loaded with "what his female colleagues referred to as an `erudite' appeal." No wonder: the new book finds the enormously likable Langdon pondering antimatter, the big-bang theory, the cult of the Illuminati and a threat to the Vatican, among other things. Yet this is merely a warm-up for the mind-boggling trickery that "The Da Vinci Code" has in store.

Consider the new book's prologue, set in the Grand Gallery of the Louvre. (This is the kind of book that notices that this one gallery's length is three times that of the Washington Monument.) It embroils a Caravaggio, an albino monk and a curator in a fight to the death. That's a scene leaving little doubt that the author knows how to pique interest, as the curator, Jacques Sauničre, fights for his life.

Desperately seizing the painting in order to activate the museum's alarm system, Sauničre succeeds in buying some time. And he uses these stolen moments — which are his last — to take off his clothes, draw a circle and arrange himself like the figure in Leonardo's most famous drawing, "The Vitruvian Man." And to leave behind an anagram and Fibonacci's famous numerical series as clues.

Whatever this is about, it is enough to summon Langdon, who by now, he blushes to recall, has been described in an adoring magazine article as "Harrison Ford in Harris tweed." Langdon's latest manuscript, which "proposed some very unconventional interpretations of established religious iconography which would certainly be controversial," is definitely germane.

Also soon on the scene is the cryptologist Sophie Neveu, a chip off the author's earlier prototypes: "Unlike the waifish, cookie-cutter blondes that adorned Harvard dorm room walls, this woman was healthy with an unembellished beauty and genuineness that radiated a striking personal confidence." Even if he had not contrived this entire story as a hunt for the Lost Sacred Feminine essence, women in particular would love Mr. Brown.

With Leonardo as co-conspirator, since his life and work were so fraught with symbols and secrets, Mr. Brown is off to the races. Google away: you may want to investigate the same matters that Langdon and Agent Neveu pursue as they tap into a mother lode of religious conspiracy theory. The Priory of Sion, the Knights Templar and the controversial Vatican prelature called Opus Dei are all invoked, as is the pentacle, the Divine Proportion, the strange sex rites glimpsed in the film "Eyes Wide Shut" and the Holy Grail. If you think the Grail is a cup, then Mr. Brown — drawing upon earlier controversial Grail theories involving 19th-century discoveries by a real Sauničre — would like you to think again.

As in his "Angels and Demons," this author is drawn to the place where empirical evidence and religious faith collide. And he creates a bracing exploration of this realm, one that is by no means sacrilegious, though it sharply challenges Vatican policy. As Langdon and Sophie follow clues planted by Leonardo, they arrive at some jaw-dropping suppositions, some of which bring "The Da Vinci Code" to the brink of overkill. But in the end Mr. Brown gracefully lays to rest all the questions he has raised.

The book moves at a breakneck pace, with the author seeming thoroughly to enjoy his contrivances. Virtually every chapter ends with a cliffhanger: not easy, considering the amount of plain old talking that gets done. And Sophie and Langdon are sent on the run, the better to churn up a thriller atmosphere. To their credit, they evade their pursuers as ingeniously as they do most everything else.

When being followed via a global positioning system, for instance, it is smart to send the sensor flying out a 40-foot window and lead pursuers to think you have done the same. Somehow the book manages to reconcile such derring-do with remarks like, "And did you know that if you divide the number of female bees by the number of male bees in any beehive in the world, you always get the same number?"

"The Da Vinci Code" is breezy enough even to make fun of its characters' own cleverness. At one point Langdon is asked by his host whether he has hidden a sought-after treasure carefully enough. "Actually," Langdon says, unable to hide his grin, "that depends on how often you dust under your couch."

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company | Privacy Policy

Here ya go boys The DaVinci code.

vanzilla
03-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
Me too...I almost bought it the other day, just cause everybody says its great!!

probably will pick it up today.

No prob Carmine - Here's the plot from Dan Brown's homepage:

While in Paris on business, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon receives an urgent late-night phone call: the elderly curator of the Louvre has been murdered inside the museum. Near the body, police have found a baffling cipher. Solving the enigmatic riddle, Langdon is stunned to discover it leads to a trail of clues hidden in the works of Da Vinci…clues visible for all to see…and yet ingeniously disguised by the painter.

Langdon joins forces with a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, and learns the late curator was involved in the Priory of Sion—an actual secret society whose members included Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Da Vinci, among others. The Louvre curator has sacrificed his life to protect the Priory's most sacred trust: the location of a vastly important religious relic, hidden for centuries.

In a breathless race through Paris, London, and beyond, Langdon and Neveu match wits with a faceless powerbroker who appears to work for Opus Dei—a clandestine, Vatican-sanctioned Catholic sect believed to have long plotted to seize the Priory's secret. Unless Langdon and Neveu can decipher the labyrinthine puzzle in time, the Priory's secret—and a stunning historical truth—will be lost forever.

In an exhilarating blend of relentless adventure, scholarly intrigue, and cutting wit, symbologist Robert Langdon (first introduced in Dan Brown's bestselling Angels & Demons) is the most original character to appear in years. THE DA VINCI CODE heralds the arrival of a new breed of lightening-paced, intelligent thriller…surprising at every twist, absorbing at every turn, and in the end, utterly unpredictable…right up to its astonishing conclusion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This book is addictive The main character, Robert Langdon - explains a lot of things about the history of religion. There's a reason the Catholic Church has come out against this book; you'll understand why after you get into a few chapters. I highly recommend it. I would definitely read it before the movie comes out.

moose
03-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Kids already picked out names(male) Magnum and Diesel, just lookin for the right one.

Carmine
03-18-2005, 09:13 AM
That sounds awesome you guys!!

Going to Borders in a little bit!!

Thanks!

Carmine
03-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Kids already picked out names(male) Magnum and Diesel, just lookin for the right one.

Shit Moose! I thought AP posted that about the pup!!

Sorry guys...I'm only on my second cup of coffee!!

Disregard that PM Ap!!

sending one your way Moose!

academic punk
03-18-2005, 09:28 AM
It's 9:26 am EST, and this auction ends in two hours...

If you need it, grab it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=378&item=4535012247&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

moose
03-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Don't ya worry, listen I'm at work right now so I'll see the pictures later.
Cheers Bro!!!!

Carmine
03-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Don't ya worry, listen I'm at work right now so I'll see the pictures later.
Cheers Bro!!!!

cool, they'll be there!:)

Hardrock69
03-18-2005, 12:52 PM
I just finished reading (a month ago) Secrets Of The Code. It is all of the factual stuff behind The DaVinci Code.

A really fun read is Lemmy Kilminster's autobiography, "White Line Fever". Some of his commentary had me laffing like hell. He has had a life of adventure worthy of any pirate....

Arg Matey....we attack at dawn!

:D

Carmine
03-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I just finished reading (a month ago) Secrets Of The Code. It is all of the factual stuff behind The DaVinci Code.

Shit, I'll have to get that after I read the book.