PDA

View Full Version : How did Mark McGwire do yesterday...

Dave's PA Rental
03-18-2005, 04:33 PM
vote...

Warham
03-18-2005, 04:40 PM
He failed.

Carmine
03-18-2005, 04:42 PM
unfortunate....

FAILED!

ALinChainz
03-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Screwed himself in the eyes of the public after denying it for years.

Warham
03-18-2005, 04:52 PM
He might not even get in the HOF now.

Carmine
03-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Warham
He might not even get in the HOF now.

you really think so? That would be a damn shame!

academic punk
03-18-2005, 05:35 PM
He'll get in, but not on the first pass.

Which 48 hours ago he was a shoe-in for.

Look, you play, be prepared to pay. Just because years have gone by doesn't mean you're off the hook. He handled himself with class at the hearing, but - let's face it - if he had actually been busted while Conseco had that needle up his right ass cheek - we would hardly be sympathetic to him.

BigBadBrian
03-18-2005, 05:49 PM
He failed......but Sammy Sosa is a goddamed liar!

academic punk
03-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
He failed......but Sammy Sosa is a goddamed liar!

You think? I bought Sosa's line. Maybe I'm naive.

ALinChainz
03-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Anti-doping chief says he doesn't believe Mark McGwire

By CHERYL WITTENAUER, Associated Press Writer

March 18, 2005

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- The chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency said Mark McGwire's refusal to tell a congressional panel whether he used steroids amounts to an admission.

``What I saw and heard was a confession,'' Richard Pound said Friday.

McGwire admitted in 1998, when he hit a then-record 70 homers, that he used the steroid precursor androstenedione, which was legal and not banned in baseball at the time but prohibited for Olympic athletes.

Pound said when he raised concerns to Major League Baseball, he was told to mind his own business. Baseball banned steroids in September 2002 and began testing for them with penalties in 2004.

``Steroid use is a lot like alcoholism,'' said Pound, a Montreal lawyer and former Olympic swimmer. ``Unless you acknowledge a problem, it's hard to move on to a cure.''

``Nobody believes baseball anymore, and they shouldn't, but though baseball is the deer caught in the headlights now, (doping is) in other sports, too,'' Pound said.

Pound, addressing a symposium at Saint Louis University on doping in sports, has written commissioners of all U.S. professional sports. Without exception, he said, they admit no drug problem, say they have a good anti-doping policy and that they can do little about it because of collective bargaining agreements with players.

He said major league sports should adopt the world anti-doping code along with its rules, protections and sanctions, just as governments are set to incorporate it as part of their domestic law, ``so that the same rules apply to all sports, all athletes.''

Pound said the public can pressure professional sports to adopt strict standards.

An attorney who has represented boxer Mike Tyson and other athletes told the symposium that many rules governing substance use are ``despotic'' and deprive them of the right to take substances for therapeutic purposes.

Phoenix lawyer Darrow Soll said professional baseball, basketball, football and hockey afford their players much more due process than the International Olympic Committee.

``It's the difference between a military trial at Guantanamo and an open jury in the U.S. courts,'' he said.

The symposium was sponsored by Saint Louis University's Center for Health Law Studies.

monkeythe
03-18-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm not here to discuss things that happened in the past. My lawyer advises me to use my fifth amendmant rights in regards to this poll.

redblkwht
03-19-2005, 01:02 AM
He was a goof to say his lawyers said to say what he did..

ALinChainz
03-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Some made the comparison to Ruth for how he "saved" baseball.

A lot of people are trying to say the right thing, like LaRussa. But McGwire is taking a beating in the press for his testimony.

vanzilla
03-19-2005, 02:28 AM
IMO - The whole thing is a giant waste of time. Okay - they had the hearings...what's the result?

What is going to happen? I'll tell you what's going to happen. Bud Selig will make some horseshit politically correct statement about how the league is going to toughen it's stance on steriods, and those who use them will no longer be tolerated. - Meanwhile, they'll continue to go untested, and jag offs like Jeremy and Jason Giambi can be the Van Halens of baseball and keep fucking up their bodies while everyone turns a blind eye to it.

It's another example of the U.S. Govt. wasting time and money on something that in the grand scheme of things isn't that high on the priority list. I'd rather have congress working on some more pressing domestic issues than asking some dumbass jock if he shot up. Who cares? The guy's liver's going to rot and his balls will shrink if he did roid up. So in the end, he ultimately pays the price for what he did.

Baseball is such a fucking joke now anyways that I can't even stomach it anymore. The MLB is set to implode - whether it's caused from steroids, inflated salaries, shitty tv ratings, too many games, bad pitching, over expansion, or players with egos the size of the national debt - and who else knows what - is beyond me.

I used to love this sport. Don't know what the hell happened.

But that's just me. I could be wrong.

Warham
03-19-2005, 04:12 PM
The sport is greater than any conspiracies such as steroids.

I will always love baseball.

rustoffa
03-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Mind fucking numbing.

They should roll fucking Bonds into the proceedings on top of the chick with the food tubes dragging on the marble floor.

Full Bug
03-20-2005, 10:17 AM
:D

Gmoney
03-20-2005, 06:01 PM
I didn't know steroids make you act like a pussy, too!! What a fuckin' crybaby!!

Sosa needed an interpreter?? That grease bag has been in the US for 15 years. Hide behind the language barrier....what a lyin piece of shit!!