PDA

View Full Version : Failte!

Ms. Conduct
03-18-2005, 05:05 PM
I can't believe I missed St Pats at the ARMY! So, Did everyone drink green beer in my honor?

Legend of Saint Patrick ~ The Irish Version ( it has nothing to do with snakes)...

Saint Patrick was the patron saint and national apostle of Ireland who is credited with bringing christianity to Ireland. Most of what is known about him comes from his two works, the Confessio, a spiritual autobiography, and his Epistola, a denunciation of British mistreatment of Irish christians. Saint Patrick described himself as a "most humble-minded man, pouring forth a continuous paean of thanks to his Maker for having chosen him as the instrument whereby multitudes who had worshipped idols and unclean things had become the people of God."

Saint Patrick is most known for driving the snakes from Ireland. It is true there are no snakes in Ireland, but there probably never have been - the island was separated from the rest of the continent at the end of the Ice Age. As in many old pagan religions, serpent symbols were common and often worshipped. Driving the snakes from Ireland was probably symbolic of putting an end to that pagan practice. While not the first to bring christianity to Ireland, it is Patrick who is said to have encountered the Druids at Tara and abolished their pagan rites. The story holds that he converted the warrior chiefs and princes, baptizing them and thousands of their subjects in the "Holy Wells" that still bear this name.

Saint Patrick's Day has come to be associated with everything Irish: anything green and gold, shamrocks and luck. Most importantly, to those who celebrate its intended meaning, St. Patrick's Day is a traditional day for spiritual renewal and offering prayers for missionaries worldwide.

So, why is it celebrated on March 17th? One theory is that that is the day that St. Patrick died. Since the holiday began in Ireland, it is believed that as the Irish spread out around the world, they took with them their history and celebrations. The biggest observance of all is, of course, in Ireland. With the exception of restaurants and pubs, almost all businesses close on March 17th. Being a religious holiday as well, many Irish attend mass, where March 17th is the traditional day for offering prayers for missionaries worldwide before the serious celebrating begins.

In American cities with a large Irish population, St. Patrick's Day is a very big deal. Big cities and small towns alike celebrate with parades, "wearing of the green," music and songs, Irish food and drink, and activities for kids such as crafts, coloring and games. Some communities even go so far as to dye rivers or streams green!

Good St. Patrick travelled far, to teach God's Holy Word
And when he came to Erin's sod, a wondrous thing occurred
He plucked a shamrock from the earth and held it in His hand
To symbolise the Trinity that all might understand
The first leaf for the Father
And the second for the Son
The third leaf for the Holy Spirit
All three of them in one.

bueno bob
03-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Wearing green is gay.

loss of fools
03-18-2005, 05:50 PM
i was at a thin lizzy tribute gig on st pats day. folking quality.

Ms. Conduct
03-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Star Wars is gayer! :p

Anonymous
03-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Ms. Conduct
Star Wars is gayer! :p

Ouch! Touché. Sorry, Bob... Ms. Conduct owns you. That'll teach you. NEVER open your mouth without being called first.

(What am I doing? Maybe I should follow my advice? Nah...)

Cheers! :bottle:

Carmine
03-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
Ouch! Touché. Sorry, Bob... Ms. Conduct owns you. That'll teach you. NEVER open your mouth without being called first.

LOL...good post there Pus!~:D

Dan
03-18-2005, 07:36 PM
I can't believe I missed St Pats at the ARMY! So, Did everyone drink green beer in my honor?

Legend of Saint Patrick ~ The Irish Version ( it has nothing to do with snakes)...

Saint Patrick was the patron saint and national apostle of Ireland who is credited with bringing christianity to Ireland. Most of what is known about him comes from his two works, the Confessio, a spiritual autobiography, and his Epistola, a denunciation of British mistreatment of Irish christians. Saint Patrick described himself as a "most humble-minded man, pouring forth a continuous paean of thanks to his Maker for having chosen him as the instrument whereby multitudes who had worshipped idols and unclean things had become the people of God."

Saint Patrick is most known for driving the snakes from Ireland. It is true there are no snakes in Ireland, but there probably never have been - the island was separated from the rest of the continent at the end of the Ice Age. As in many old pagan religions, serpent symbols were common and often worshipped. Driving the snakes from Ireland was probably symbolic of putting an end to that pagan practice. While not the first to bring christianity to Ireland, it is Patrick who is said to have encountered the Druids at Tara and abolished their pagan rites. The story holds that he converted the warrior chiefs and princes, baptizing them and thousands of their subjects in the "Holy Wells" that still bear this name.

Saint Patrick's Day has come to be associated with everything Irish: anything green and gold, shamrocks and luck. Most importantly, to those who celebrate its intended meaning, St. Patrick's Day is a traditional day for spiritual renewal and offering prayers for missionaries worldwide.

So, why is it celebrated on March 17th? One theory is that that is the day that St. Patrick died. Since the holiday began in Ireland, it is believed that as the Irish spread out around the world, they took with them their history and celebrations. The biggest observance of all is, of course, in Ireland. With the exception of restaurants and pubs, almost all businesses close on March 17th. Being a religious holiday as well, many Irish attend mass, where March 17th is the traditional day for offering prayers for missionaries worldwide before the serious celebrating begins.

In American cities with a large Irish population, St. Patrick's Day is a very big deal. Big cities and small towns alike celebrate with parades, "wearing of the green," music and songs, Irish food and drink, and activities for kids such as crafts, coloring and games. Some communities even go so far as to dye rivers or streams green!

I painted my Balls Green.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Well, I thought you rocked a bit more than this, Ms C.. :confused:
We're a little far from the I.R.A. now. What's this christianization of Ireland stuff for?
Did you see the virgin Mary lately?:D

Anonymous
03-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Well, I thought you rocked a bit more than this, Ms C.. :confused:
We're a little far from the I.R.A. now. What's this christianization of Ireland stuff for?
Did you see the virgin Mary lately?:D

I did. Oh, and by the way... She's just Mary, now. :D

Anonymous
03-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Okay, it was easy, it was childish and everyone was expecting it. But you know if I didn't, someone else would, so... :lol:

Jérôme Frenchise
03-18-2005, 08:22 PM

Okay, it was easy, it was childish and everyone was expecting it. But you know if I didn't, someone else would, so... :lol:

:D No harm, as far as I'm concerned.

Is she as hot as Mary Magdelena?;)

Anonymous
03-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Jérôme... you sweet, inocent man... virgin MARY? MARY Magdalene? Hello? MARY?

And if you still have doubts, think aboot this: Has anyone ever seen the two of them at the same place, at the same time EVER?

Carmine
03-18-2005, 08:32 PM

LMAO...you better say a few Hail Mary's!!:D

Anonymous
03-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Oh, I hailed her alright...

Carmine
03-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Oh, I hailed her alright...

:eek:

Lightning is coming....:D

Anonymous
03-18-2005, 08:38 PM
All you back room boys: Salute! When her flag unfurls...

MAX
03-18-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm a blonde slut. :o

Anonymous
03-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I'm a blonde slut. :o

:eek:

Anonymous
03-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Really?

Anonymous
03-18-2005, 09:47 PM
By the way... that may very well be THE BEST avatar yet, MAX. :D

MAX
03-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Thank you Slicker but I bet Dan would give me money if I'd bust out my old Rachel Hunter sitting on the end of the bed with the title "Baby, How 'bout you?" LOL!!!

I have a million avatars in storage bra and I used to change them daily.......However, I like this one. I think it will stay for a while............

Happy Friday!!!

Cheers!!!

:gulp:

Dan
03-19-2005, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Thank you Slicker but I bet Dan would give me money if I'd bust out my old Rachel Hunter sitting on the end of the bed with the title "Baby, How 'bout you?" LOL!!!

I have a million avatars in storage bra and I used to change them daily.......However, I like this one. I think it will stay for a while............

Happy Friday!!!

Cheers!!!

:gulp:

Bring back Rachel Hunter for just a day or two Max.

MAX
03-19-2005, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Dan
Bring back Rachel Hunter for just a day or two Max.

In due time my friend........ ;)

bueno bob
03-19-2005, 05:37 AM

I know. It's amazing how much I'm owned now. I'm owned even more than Gaywapo and Joe Thunder.

Maybe I should go over to the Joe Rogan boards where I won't be so owned.

Anonymous
03-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I know. It's amazing how much I'm owned now. I'm owned even more than Gaywapo and Joe Thunder.

Maybe I should go over to the Joe Rogan boards where I won't be so owned.

Stop changing the subject. You're owned and you know it. Why, that owning is almost as good as one of Jesterstar's.

Cockney Cant
03-19-2005, 01:07 PM
fack orf .

Nickdfresh
03-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Cockney Cant
fack orf .

I agree.

scottydabodi
03-20-2005, 10:13 PM

Ms Conduct, I did not endevour of GREEN BEER, although I drank SEVERAL green tinted beverages, and that's why I've been absent from the ARMY for a few days... I sobered up about an hour ago, and I feel like JUNK!! That reminds me, drinks on me next time I see you a Rikk & Natra's Bar!!:)