PDA

View Full Version : Club Days Questions....

DLR7884
02-22-2004, 03:20 AM
I was just listening to a little Roth Radio, when a few tracks from the club days started playing.....

It was then that I realised that Michael Anthony felt the need to yelp and scream before, during, and after most songs.

:asshole:

On the bootlegs I have of this era he does it too. He did it on Goldenwest Ballroom, Pasadena Hilton, even on Civic Pride (Pasadena Civic).

It seems like as time went on he was less vocal....I can't hear him on many later bootlegs through 1984, besides his backing vox.

My questions are this:

A: Does anyone have a club era boot where that fat shit doesn't ruin it by screaming and ruining songs and fucking up Dave's on stage banter with the crowd?

B: Did someone end up telling that lard ass to cut the shit or he'd be removed from the band?

Does anyone else feel that what he was doing back then was fucking up a perfectly recorded reel of Classic VH?

I think I speak for the masses on this issue.

Please feel free to share both your thoughts and your frustration with this matter.

DLR7884
:pissl: Michael Anthony's screams and yelps need to be pissed upon.

DLR7884
02-22-2004, 03:21 AM
Fuck, my similes overfuckinglapped.

DLR7884
God damnit!

Dave's PA Rental
02-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Gotta go against you on this one...

The backing vocals by Michael Anthony are, in my opinion, a MAJOR part of the classic VH sound. Try and keep separate the MA who has been Sammy's personal ball-washer for the past few years from the Michael Anthony who helped to cast the VH mold.

I think that one of the reasons that MWM and CGTSNM sounded so "classic" after being removed for 11-12 years is the way MA's voice blends in with Roth's.

Just my 2 sense...

DLR7884
02-24-2004, 12:13 AM
I'm not saying anything negative about his backing vocals. I'm talking about the screaming and yelping he did during songs and between songs.

MA's backing vocals are better than anyone else in any other band I can think of. They do mesh great with Dave's voice. I think his backing vocals were more important to old school VH than his bass playing.

DLR7884
What about his obnoxious squeals on the bootlegs though?

Dave's PA Rental
02-24-2004, 06:39 AM
For me it just adds to the charm...

Catfish
02-24-2004, 11:07 AM
I always thought he was trying to out-scream Dave.

Remember, MA was a lead singer in the band he had before joining Van Halen. That fucker probably always thought he had a better voice than Dave.

You think Mike's screaming ruined the early shows? I say is USELESS bass solos ruined the later ones..

Dave's PA Rental
02-24-2004, 06:17 PM
man, there is NOTHING about the classic VH that I can think of bad-mouthing. How fucking cool were those obnoxious bass solos back in the day?

Ruined shmooined.