PDA

View Full Version : I Just Bought FAIRWARNING Remastered!

Nickdfresh
03-22-2005, 07:46 PM
It's sounds fucking great! The best Van Halen album, artistically speaking, hands down! But I forgot how short it is! (I haven't listed to the old not-remastered copy for several months in anticipation of hear that sweet high-resolution mix!)

FAIR WARNING is only 32 minutes, recorded in the days before CD was the norm! They could have "thrown us a fricken' bone here" and included the live Oakland songs that were used as videos ("Unchained," "Here About It Later"):mad: But NOOOOO! Fucking Van Halen sisters! Do these pricks ever do something just for the fans besides overcharge them to see Spam?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004Y6O7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2093

academic punk
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
no.

Anonymous
03-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
no.

You're starting to sound like Figs, AP... Guess that's what happens to people who go beyond 1500 posts. :D

Oh, no! I've got less than 200 to go! Quick, Mr. Grimsdale - delete some of Katydid's threads!

Then again, posting like you and Figs would shirley be betta. No more neverending ramblings, posts going up, up, up... Yea. Kewl.

Cheers! :bottle:

Anonymous
03-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
It's sounds fucking great! The best Van Halen album, artistically speaking, hands down! But I forgot how short it is! (I haven't listed to the old not-remastered copy for several months in anticipation of hear that sweet high-resolution mix!)

FAIR WARNING is only 32 minutes, recorded in the days before CD was the norm! They could have "thrown us a fricken' bone here" and included the live Oakland songs that were used as videos ("Unchained," "Here About It Later"):mad: But NOOOOO! Fucking Van Halen sisters! Do these pricks ever do something just for the fans besides overcharge them to see Spam?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004Y6O7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2093

No.

academic punk
03-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
No.

ahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!

should've seen that one coming, but I honestly did not! smelling salts please!

Nickdfresh
03-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Yes! Bitches!
http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/RickJames.jpg

Nickdfresh
03-24-2005, 12:30 PM
This is the first that I have heard of DLR's Haiti (vacation in hell?) excursion and the lyrical content of FAIR WARNING derived from his visit there...

Dark

November 21, 2004

Reviewer: S. D. Rogers (Gainesville, Ga United States) - See all my reviews

Van Halen's party-hardy with her [...] around her ankles theme took a sharp turn toward the dark side with the release of Fair Warning in '81. Partly because the band was beginning to age a bit, but mostly due to the fact that David Lee Roth's lyrics were being shaped by recent holiday trips to Haiti (of all Places). The realization came to Roth after finnally seeing that Haiti was not really a place of merriment for rich rock stars looking to party all over the world. Thus we see the change to darker, more frank lyrics (Mean Streets, Unchained). There is a bit of the ol' Diamond Dave represented here (Sinner's Swing, One foot out the Door) but the dark edges never quiet leave the entire collections of tunes. Ed Van Halen's then latest collection of authentic riffs give the album the toughness needed for the darker side, his sense of humor in his style being put aside for a more gritty, and dense playing. Fair Warning should have been a cross-roads for the band to progress into a more mature adult-oriented rock and roll band, but time shows it as the beginning of the end of the "Classic" Van Halen lineup, which preceeded the melancholy Sammy Hagar era. Fair Warning stands on its own merits as a classic Van Halen offering, it stands toe to toe with any other effort from the band. It seems that the direction the band took for Fair Warning could have moved them into the direction of such "serious" bands such as The Who or Led Zeppelin as their careers progressed, and would have allowed them to leave the "party band" image that Ed Van Halen is so intent of shedding nowadays. But it's all ancient history today.

Other customer reviews at:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004Y6O7/qid=1111685207/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/103-2872234-0625464?v=glance&s=music

Figs
03-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Do these pricks ever do something just for the fans besides overcharge them to see Spam?

no

academic punk
03-25-2005, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nickdfresh
[B] This is the first that I have heard of DLR's Haiti (vacation in hell?) excursion and the lyrical content of FAIR WARNING derived from his visit there...

QUOTE]

This si the first you've heard it? He discusses it a bit in Crazy From the Heat.

He describes being on his bicycle riding around and encountering a local beggar who motions to Roth, you know, beggin for money.

Dave had some cream cheese (I think) with him, and so he handed it to the begger. The beggar looked at Dave in complete shock, so much so that Dave initially worried he had offended the man.

Then Dave noticed that the man's eyes were filling with tears. The begger got down in "that third-world squat" and ate every bit from Dave's offering. He was licking the wrapper when Dave finally came ot the conclusion that Haiti was not the sort of place to go to if you're "looking for fun and merriment".

It was experiences like these - and the maturity to appreciate them - that caused Dave to grow from writing music that centralized on him - "Nobody rules these streets at night but me", "I'm on fire" - to larger, more worldly, more frustrated perspectives on Fair Warning.

Nickdfresh
03-25-2005, 12:51 PM
This is the first that I have heard of DLR's Haiti (vacation in hell?) excursion and the lyrical content of FAIR WARNING derived from his visit there...

Originally posted by academic punk

This si the first you've heard it? He discusses it a bit in Crazy From the Heat.

He describes being on his bicycle riding around and encountering a local beggar who motions to Roth, you know, beggin for money.

Dave had some cream cheese (I think) with him, and so he handed it to the begger. The beggar looked at Dave in complete shock, so much so that Dave initially worried he had offended the man.

Then Dave noticed that the man's eyes were filling with tears. The begger got down in "that third-world squat" and ate every bit from Dave's offering. He was licking the wrapper when Dave finally came ot the conclusion that Haiti was not the sort of place to go to if you're "looking for fun and merriment".

It was experiences like these - and the maturity to appreciate them - that caused Dave to grow from writing music that centralized on him - "Nobody rules these streets at night but me", "I'm on fire" - to larger, more worldly, more frustrated perspectives on Fair Warning.

Thanks for the perspective AP, I haven't read it yet 'cause I'm looking for a used copy of the used book .

academic punk
03-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Get a copy off Ebay.

They've always got. Hardcover editions too.