PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars question that pisses me off

MAX
03-22-2005, 10:46 PM
I just watched Star Wars last night with my boy and it raises a question that has irked me since I first saw the flick when I was six years old.

Why in the flying fuck did they (the rebels) NOT give Chewbacca a medal at the end of the movie? He was the co-pilot, attended the ceremony and went up the steps. Complete bullshit if you ask me and pisses me off. :mad: Also, if Chewbacca is supposedly in the next one, will that explain it?

manwiththedogs
03-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I just watched Star Wars last night with my boy and it raises a question that has irked me since I first saw the flick when I was six years old.

Why in the flying fuck did they (the rebels) NOT give Chewbacca a medal at the end of the movie? He was the co-pilot, attended the ceremony and went up the steps. Complete bullshit if you ask me and pisses me off. :mad: Also, if Chewbacca is supposedly in the next one, will that explain it?
hmmm...racism maybe?
Seriously, no idea.
Good question tho.

DrMaddVibe
03-22-2005, 10:53 PM
They gave him a box of milkbones...it was in the DVD extras.

May the Force be with you.

Anonymous
03-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Is Chewbacca the hairy one? If so, that may explain it... WHERE on him would they pin the medal that wouldn't make him growl and lash out in pained fury?

What about the robots? Did they got a medal?

Cheers! :bottle:

Rikk
03-23-2005, 01:08 AM
The KKK was strong even back then. And Chewbacca is black under all that fur. Han even wore a white hood in some of the deleted scenes from Tattooine.

MAX
03-23-2005, 01:27 AM
I can't wait for the real Star Wars people to chime in cos I dig Chewbacca. I'm a dog person and Chebacca is like having a Big Ass Evil dog to watch your collective back. He RULZZZZ!!!!

Rikk
03-23-2005, 01:46 AM
Are you drunk?

MAX
03-23-2005, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Are you drunk?

Negative dumbass!!!

Why would you ask something so fucking stupid?

Rikk
03-23-2005, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Negative dumbass!!!

Why would you ask something so fucking stupid?

Holy shit, bro. Take a happy pill or five. It was a joke.:eek:

bueno bob
03-23-2005, 05:12 AM
Actually, I can SERIOUSLY answer this for you, because I once had the same question when I was about 6 or 7...this is the result I got when I asked it of the Star Wars fan club (which was, I believe, GL sanctioned):

Chewbacca DID get his medal for the assault on the Death Star. The reason it didn't appear on film is because Peter Mayhew, in all the suit, was having some difficulties bending over far enough for the tiny little Carrie Fisher to be able to reach around his neck, so the backstory that went with it was that Chewie had his medal presented to him later on since Leia was too short to reach that high.

And there ya have it.

Warham
03-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Sounds good to me.

Vinnie Velvet
03-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Beuno beat me to it.

Good job!

And yes, seriously, Bueno is right on the money.

FORD
03-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Thank God. I thought there was some Wookiephobia going on back on Tatooine :(

academic punk
03-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Han and Chewie were lovers.

Inter-species lovers is fine, but they are SAME GENDER inter-species lovers, and the council does not recognize same sex unions. Therefore, Chewie saw neither medals of honor nor benefits when Han was eligible for disability when freeze-dried by Boba Fett.

(the freeze-drying also explains why han was no longer "flaming" after his rescue)

Carmine
03-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by academic punk

Therefore, Chewie saw neither medals of honor nor benefits when Han was eligible for disability when freeze-dried by Boba Fett.

LMFAO!!! So that the deal, ehh?

academic punk
03-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
LMFAO!!! So that the deal, ehh?

Don't get me started on Lando and the ewoks.

INTER-SPECIES, SAME GENDER POLYGAMY!

SICK!!!!

Carmine
03-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Don't get me started on Lando and the ewoks.

INTER-SPECIES, SAME GENDER POLYGAMY!

SICK!!!!

LOL...then how bout JAR JAR and the rest of the Gungans?

Mezro
03-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Han and Chewie were lovers.

Han could never find a snatch under all that fur.

Mezro...but he sure could split a tauntaun...

Vinnie Velvet
03-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Mezro

Damn straight.

Anonymous
03-23-2005, 08:22 PM

That's what AP was saying, Mez... no snatch. A dick. Sick.

Cheers! :bottle:

Rikk
03-23-2005, 11:04 PM
There was a disgusting scene removed from JEDI where LANDO fucks WICKET the Ewok up the ass and jizzes in his face. The censors deemed it "unsuitable for children".

vanzilla
03-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeh, and then ALAN THE PANTHER came down and beat the shit out of Jabba the Hut. Those were good times.

But to stay on track with the thread - does anyone feel the same as me in that The next movie better kick some serious ass to make up for the last two. I didn't hate Episode I or II, but they didn't live up to my expectations and certainly left several questions to be answered.
(Mainly, how did C-3PO not know that Darth Vader constructed him)

Rikk
03-23-2005, 11:21 PM
No shit. I hate that they felt they had to put C3PO or R2 in it at all. I hate that kind of shit. It was better knowing they were assembly line robots that just happened to be extremely talented.

I thought EPISODES I and II were pretty stupid. They were watchable entertainment but not timeless the way EPISODES IV and V are. Actually, I don't even really love JEDI.

vanzilla
03-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Damn - I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about the droids. That bothered me from the first time I saw Menace.

I agree, I and II were pretty much eye candy; all sizzle no steak.

III better kick some ass or this is going to be a franchise more damaged than VH.

bueno bob
03-24-2005, 01:19 AM
Let's talk about the DVD special features (or lack thereof) from the box set.

Where was the alternate ending where Lando and the Falcon blew up on the final run against the Death Star in "Jedi"?

You'd think they'd have included that with all the bonus features for sure...strange that they didn't.

Rikk
03-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Where was the alternate ending where Lando and the Falcon blew up on the final run against the Death Star in "Jedi"?

:eek:

GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!!!

bueno bob
03-24-2005, 01:27 AM
:eek:

GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!!!

I like it when the good guys die! :D

bueno bob
03-24-2005, 01:29 AM
Yup, the original ending for "Return of the Jedi" had Lando and the Falcon not making it out of the Death Star during it's destruction and they all bit it at the end...frankly, George should have released THAT version rather than the syrup-coated one we got instead...there'd probably be a LOT less bitching about Ewoks, no doubt...lol...

Rikk
03-24-2005, 01:30 AM
That would have been much better. I hate endings where all the loose ends tie together perfectly and everyone is happy. Pathetic. LANDO and the Falcon should have been destroyed. It would also have fit in well with that "not a scratch" and "feeling I'm never gonna see her again" lines Han has earlier.

Are you sure they actually have the Falcon/Lando scenes filmed?

bueno bob
03-24-2005, 01:33 AM
That would have been much better. I hate endings where all the loose ends tie together perfectly and everyone is happy. Pathetic. LANDO and the Falcon should have been destroyed. It would also have fit in well with that "not a scratch" and "feeling I'm never gonna see her again" lines Han has earlier.

Are you sure they actually have the Falcon/Lando scenes filmed?

Yes, it's filmed.

EXACTLY why Han says "Not a scratch" and "I got the feeling like I'm never gonna see her again"; in the original ending, he didn't.

Rikk
03-24-2005, 01:36 AM
Wow. You are a wealth of STAR WARS info, BOB.

Any other lost scenes in any of the first three that you know of (other than the ones that have since been re-inserted into EPISODE IV)?

vanzilla
03-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Damn Bob - I never knew that. Where did you find out about that dude? I agree - Having Lando bite it in the Falcon would've more than made up for all the ewoks.

I have the box set but didn't check out any of the special features other than the main "making of" documentary which became rather boring after 20 minutes.

Rikk
03-24-2005, 01:40 AM
I enjoyed the MAKING OF doc. But I don't remember what other extras there are.

bueno bob
03-24-2005, 01:44 AM
I believe it was an "Us" magazine from back in 1983, had Mark Hamill on the cover and a brief Q&A with Rick McCallum...or maybe I'm confusing two different magazines, I don't remember...dude, I had ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING Star Wars related when I was growing up, so there's lots of shit I know...

In so far as extra scenes and whatnot that never made it to past the cutting room, the best I have are rumors...there was, of course, the original Han/Jabba interaction for "Star Wars", and defeating that most of the films actually were included - there was some rumored talk that after the successes of Indiana Jones and Blade Runner, Harrison Ford wasn't necessarily interested in "Jedi" and there was a purported script floating around that had him written off as a Jabba the Hutt or Sarlac casualty, but I don't know too much about that.

I have read PARTS of the original script for "Star Wars", and trust me, the movie is almost 200% different than what it ended up being. Oh sure, it started out with Princess Leia fleeing the grasp of Darth Vader with the stolen plans for the Death Star, but it was in accompaniment of her General Luke Skywalker, Commander of the Rebel Forces...and so forth...what eventually made it to the big screen was a lot different than what GL originally had in mind (thank God...).

I have a history of the Jedi dating back to the original Jedi Master himself laying around somewhere as well, but I think I passed that surfing around the internet a while back, so I know that's out there as well...

bueno bob
03-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Generally speaking, the most that was usually cut, so far as I remember, was extra dialog that wasn't really necessary (when Luke leaves Yoda's hut after Yoda's death in "Jedi" and runs into Ben, Ben actually gives him the whole story about how he met Anakin Skywalker and the events that led up to their battle, how their battle took place, where it happened and everything that happened thereafter, but George, wisely enough, ended up scrapping it in case he ever decided to do some prequels and have a nice little nest egg to retire on)...

Vinnie Velvet
03-24-2005, 11:17 AM
The whole Han Solo dying thing came from Harrison Ford himself as Bueno said (as was confirmed in the Making of Doc. from the DVD).

Ford, having established himself a bigger star than Hammil and Fisher with Raiders and Blade Runner, decided that Han should die in Jedi. Also, he was the only one who didn't sign on for a third film, so it basically was up in the air by the time Jeid was to begin shooting.

Lucas somehow convinced him to do Jedi and that was that. You can tell Harrison's performance as Han is not as good as it was in Star Wars or Empire. He seemed like he was going through the motions.

academic punk
03-24-2005, 11:22 AM

Mezro...

...thanks, mez...now you've gone and reminded me of my last girlfriend...

Vinnie Velvet
03-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Generally speaking, the most that was usually cut, so far as I remember, was extra dialog that wasn't really necessary (when Luke leaves Yoda's hut after Yoda's death in "Jedi" and runs into Ben, Ben actually gives him the whole story about how he met Anakin Skywalker and the events that led up to their battle, how their battle took place, where it happened and everything that happened thereafter, but George, wisely enough, ended up scrapping it in case he ever decided to do some prequels and have a nice little nest egg to retire on)...

There was also a scene that wasn't necessarily filmed but it was scripted, where Luke builds his new *green* lightsabre at Obi-Wan's place on Tatooine.

Others may not know it or even realized it, but we are constantly teased in the early moments of ROTJ that Luke is turning to the dark side.

First, he wears black and is hooded as he enters Jabba's palace. He force chokes the two Gamorian guards.

And his dialogue is very 'Sith -like'.

"You will bring Captain Solo and the Wookie to me."

"You can profit from this or be destroyed but do not underestimate my powers."

"Jabba! Free us or die."

Jedis don't talk like that in a threatening way.

Interesting how when I first saw Jedi, it wasn't clear to me until the prequels.

bueno bob
03-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Very true, V V.

In so far as "going through the motions" was concerned, I think Mark, Harrison and Carrie were pretty much ALL going through the motions by the time "Jedi" hit - they were all pretty exhausted of the whole thing at by that point.

Mr Badguy
03-27-2005, 04:39 PM
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

Never mind this "Peter Mayhew couldn`t bend over" shit.

How come Luke and Han get high ranking promotions by the time of "Empire" but nobody calls Chewie "Captain" or "Commander"?

Even in "ROTJ" non caucasian smarmy turncoat would-be-traitor and man-who-would-sell-out-his-old-friends Lando gets to be a General.

Nope, there`s a definite "humanist" sectarian policy in the hierachy of the Rebellion.

bueno bob
03-28-2005, 01:50 AM
Well, fuck, at least aliens got jobs with the Rebellion. How many aliens were actually working for the Empire? About 4 in the whole organization, I think!

bueno bob
03-28-2005, 01:51 AM
And they were janitors, I think.

Rikk
03-28-2005, 02:03 AM
The Empire did hire aliens to look for the falcon. Remember that racist officer, talking about bounty hunter "scum"?

bueno bob
03-28-2005, 02:07 AM
Oh yeah, that's right! He hated the black one!

;)

Mr Badguy
03-28-2005, 04:42 AM
Yeah, it all points to George Lucas being Xenomorphic.

You can deduct that although he uses aliens as an excuse to make his films spectacular, they are nothing more than a freak show where all the most important roles are played by humanoids.

He`s a space Nazi.

secrets
03-30-2005, 10:49 AM
What about the Phantom Menace?

Besides being one of THE shitest films of all time.

Lucas takes the piss out of Japanese accents; Jewish Holywood gets the middle finger with that character that buys the young Skywalker etc

Jar Jar Binks is the biggest piss take though.

Jesterstar
03-30-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by MAX

He's a FUCKING WOOKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wookies don't beleive in Honor and Medals. They only like to make strange sounds and yell at Han Solo