PDA

View Full Version : Any Bill Hicks fans in the house?

vanzilla
03-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Academic Punk and I were just reflecting on the late great comic Bill Hicks. Bill died in 1994 at the age of 32 from cancer.

For those not familiar, Bill was never a big household name in the states because he was the Lenny Bruce of the late 80's and early 90's. However, one comic - Dennis Leary - pretty much lifted much of Bill's act - sugar coated it - and in the process became famous.

Fuck Dennis Leary. I hope he dies of cancer.

But if anyone is looking for some cerebral comedy in it's rawest form, check out some of Bill's work. He was at his peak in 92-93, and even though his stuff is 12-13 years old - it's still remarkably relevant and eye-opening. It's almost scary that Bill could use the same jokes today - just change the names a bit - and his stuff would still be reflecting what's going on with American Culture. In fact, it's sad that we as a culture have taken a huge step back, rather than evolve - in the past 13 years.

So if you're a fan of Bill's - come here and share your experiences, favorite bits, quotes, etc.

If you're new to the world of Hicks - prepare to be enlightened. Bill's not for everyone, but his comedy will make you think.

And check out www.billhicks.com for more info

academic punk
03-24-2005, 12:20 PM
It's hardly even changing the names a bit...at the time he was raling against "The Gulf Distraction" (his phrase for the first "Gulf War") and George H.W. Bush.

Today...well, just remove the "H" from that name, and you're there!

In the light of the rise of the Christian right, examples like Terri Schiavo, and the current goings-on in the mid-east, Bill is more relevant than ever.

Of his discs, Arizona Bay is his best. Rant in E-Minor has its moments too.

And Leary entirely ripped off Hicks...this line might sound liek Leary, but it ain't: "Yeah, I'm a smoker...but I've got it down to three lighters a day, so I think I've got it under control..."

oh...and what was his line regarding that first cigartter after you've attempted to quit?

something about rolled and kissed by the virgin Mary herself...

vanzilla
03-24-2005, 12:41 PM
I never heard the line about the first cigarette after quitting, but that sounds like something he'd say!

You're dead on about the Bush stuff though:

You know we armed Iraq. I wondered about that too. You know, during the Persian Gulf war, those intelligence reports would come out: "Iraq: incredible weapons - incredible weapons." How do you know that? "Uh, well ... we looked at the receipts."
Revelations (1990's comedy routine)

I'm so sick of arming the world and then sending troops over to destroy the flippin arms, you know what I mean? We keep arming these little countries, then we go and blow the shit out of 'em. We're like the bullies of the world, you know. We're like Jack Palance in the movie Shane ... throwing the pistol at the sheep herder's feet: "Pick it up." "I don't wanna pick it up mister, you'll shoot me." "Pick up the gun." "Mister, I don't want no trouble, huh. I just came down town here to get some hard rock candy for my kids, some gingham for my wife. I don't even know what gingham is, but she goes through about 10 rolls a week of that stuff. I ain't looking for no trouble, mister." "Pick up the gun." Boom, boom. "You all saw him. He had a gun."
Revelations (1990's comedy routine)

CLASSIC!

Matt White
03-24-2005, 01:30 PM
"Any Bill Hicks fans in the house?"

Yes.

jojo2371
04-04-2005, 01:23 AM
about time someone gave bill his due !!! that guy was alot more then just funny ,may he rest in peace i sure miss his stuff ,he was a one of a kind !!!

vanzilla
04-04-2005, 01:46 AM
5 stars to the Hicks fan! Thanks for giving Bill props Jojo!

Pope Must Die
04-04-2005, 02:09 AM
i post and am a mod ( sorta ) at the joe rogan board , joe , host of tv's fear factor , is also a superb stand up comedian and big fan of bill hicks , he also called out leary over his stealing of hicks material !

check out

http://forums.joerogan.net/

he posts there regularly , and is a very funny , highly intelligent and extremely cool guy

Panamark
04-04-2005, 04:01 AM
leary is an ASSHOLE !

an ASSHOLE yeah yeah !

flappo
04-04-2005, 05:54 AM
he should form a double act with lou

the lou-sers