PDA

View Full Version : McGwire falling short, Bonds not with Hall voters

Bob_R
03-24-2005, 09:50 PM
McGwire falling short, Bonds not with Hall voters

NEW YORK (AP) - Mark McGwire could miss out on making the Hall of Fame because of baseball's swirling steroids scandal, heightened by his refusal to answer specific questions before Congress, an Associated Press survey showed Thursday.

Barry Bonds would get enough support to make it into Cooperstown, but he's far from being a shoo-in, according to results from 155 Hall voters polled this week among the roughly 500 eligible.

Only 65 said they would vote for McGwire when he becomes eligible in two years or were leaning that way; 52 said no or were leaning that way and 38 were undecided.

Bonds received 105 votes for election, 25 against and 25 were undecided.

Players need 75 percent of the vote to get into the Hall.

McGwire got just 55.6 percent support from those who gave a yes/no response, while Bonds was at 80.8 percent.

"I will not vote for Mark McGwire," Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times said. "It's obvious from his own statements he used some form of performance-enhancing drugs and it's obvious from his statistics he did not become a Hall of Fame-type player until he did so."

McGwire and Bonds are two of the biggest names in baseball - one past, one present.

McGwire hit 583 home runs and ranks sixth on the career list, and broke Roger Maris' record in 1998 by hitting 70 home runs.

Bonds hit 73 home runs in 2001, breaking McGwire's mark. He now has 703, just 52 shy of Hank Aaron's record.

Among the 20 players to hit 500 homers, all who have appeared on the ballot are in the Hall.

"Right now I'm sort of sitting on the fence, but leaning toward not voting for McGwire or Bonds because they cheated," said Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News, himself a member of the Hall's writers' wing.

"McGwire had the opportunity to say something, but didn't. To me, that's sort of like pleading the Fifth Amendment and not denying he did it," he said.

Subpoenaed by a congressional committee to testify last week, McGwire repeatedly refused to discuss whether he used illegal performance-enhancing drugs, saying he would not talk about the past.

The slugger was roundly criticized by fans, media and politicians - even in Missouri, the state where he set the home-run record while playing for the St. Louis Cardinals.

"He had a chance to help himself, help his sport, a chance to help kids and the parents sitting behind him and he just whiffed," said Jay Mariotti of the Chicago Sun-Times. "It might as well be a guilt admission."

Bonds, who has denied using illegal steroids, was not asked to appear before Congress. But in 2003, the San Francisco star testified before the federal grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, known as BALCO.

Henry Schulman, who covers the Giants for the San Francisco Chronicle, plans to vote for both.

"The Hall of Fame is not a museum for saints. It's filled with racists, philanderers, players who used cork bats and spitters and everything at their disposal to their advantage," he said. "It's hard for me to single McGwire out. Unless he commits a crime, he's on my ballot."

As for Bonds, Schulman said: "I think he was a Hall of Famer before he had those monster home run seasons. ... Even if he were convicted of a crime, I would probably give him my vote to be consistent within myself. I've always felt Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame. I'd have to get some damning evidence confirmed on Barry before I would knock him off my first ballot."

There's no telling when members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America will be asked to decide on Bonds - players must be retired for five years before going on the ballot.

The AP contacted members of the BBWAA who are eligible to vote or will be by 2007 and asked whether they would support Bonds and/or McGwire for the Hall. Seventeen of those were AP sports writers.

This year, 516 votes were cast for the Hall by BBWAA voters, who must be members of the organization for 10 consecutive years or more. The total of eligible voters is likely to increase slightly by the time McGwire and Bonds appear on the ballot.

Sheldon Ocker of the Akron Beacon Journal said no to McGwire - but not because of the steroid issue.

"The only thing he has done to make him worthy of the Hall of Fame was break the home run record," he said. "Overall, he hasn't been good enough to get in."

Dan Le Batard of The Miami Herald said he would vote for both.

"Barry Bonds is the greatest player of our lifetime, with or without steroids. He won three MVPs as a stick figure," he said. "I don't think they were cheating. Something has to be against the rules for you to be cheating. Despite their size, these guys climbed through a loophole."

Baseball did not ban steroids until 2002.

"I begrudge the era that tolerated this more than I begrudge the man," said Jeff Horrigan of the Boston Herald, who said he would vote for both. "You can't wipe out the '90s."

Chris Haft, who covers the Giants for the San Jose Mercury News, would vote for Bonds but isn't sure about McGwire.

"I think a lot more will come out between now and two years from now. The events will make our decision a lot easier," he said. "All of us who vote take this really seriously. We also have the right to change our mind, because we're painfully human."

DLR7884
03-24-2005, 09:56 PM
This is queer.

Both players deserve to be in the HOF.

Especially Bonds.

Baseball writers are a bunch of old men who wish it were the 1960's.

Fuck them.

DLR7884
Pete Rose should be in the HOF too.

Warham
03-24-2005, 10:35 PM
McGwire doesn't deserve to get in. The only thing he had was power, and that was enhanced.

Bonds does either way.

Warham
03-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Pete Rose was rightfully banished from the game.

He knew the rules, he broke the rules.

vanzilla
03-25-2005, 12:53 PM
I think both of these guys need to come clean if they want to keep their legacy intact.

I'll give McGwire props for one thing: Bring the fans back to baseball. After the strike in 95 not many people gave a crap about MLB. When McGwire broke the record in 98, it brought a lot of interest back to the game.

I think they both deserve to be in the Hall - but only if they come out and say what everybody already knows.

blueturk
03-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Pete Rose was rightfully banished from the game.

He knew the rules, he broke the rules.

Give me a fucking break! Rose's banishment is based on ethics more than anything. Bonds is (was? whatever...) set to break the Holy Grail of baseball records.I think it's safe to assume at this point that Bonds had considerable assistance from Better Hitting Through Chemistry.
Rose should be in the Hall Of Fame WAY before Bonds.

ALinChainz
03-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Rose broke the rules AFTER his playing days.

During his playing days, multiple records, including the career hit record.

McGwire during his playing days, and did bring baseball back when it needed it.

Tough call. They all knew the rules and have lied about it.

POJO_Risin
03-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Pete Rose shouldn't be in the hall...ever...

bet on baseball...period...and the dumbass signed the paper banning himself from the game...

he paid the piper...and should never be considered until HE comes clean with what he did in a manner that befits the game...and not just to sell a book...

Let McGwire roll with whatever happens happens...

If they vote him in...so be it...if they don't...fine...

fact of the matter is...Bonds and Mac will get in the hall at some point...deserved or not...

Rose needs to have things happen...and Selig getting gone would be the first thing...

Warham
03-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Pete Rose committed the unpardonable sin in baseball's eyes.

POJO_Risin
03-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Well Warham...if you really dig into it...it was a bit more involved than that...

A Bart Giamatti was completely sickened having to be involved in that situation...

he was a baseball man...and was a fan above all else...and having Rose banned ISN'T what he wanted...but knew it was the right thing...

it was Giamatti that had Rose sign the affadavit that essentially said Rose would be banned from anything related to baseball...

it was also understood that Giamatti's love of the game would have eventually brought Rose back into the fold...

when he died...Fay Vincent refused to touch it out of respect to his friend Giamatti...and Selig is ballless...

what's needed here is a strong commisioner like Tagliabue...someone who love the game...and ISN'T AN OWNER! Of course...the owners vote in the commisioners...so it's not likely to ever happen...

If it were me...I'd look to someone who's been around the game for an eternity...who loves the game...but is firm with the owners...and the players...

I would love to see someone like George Brett or Lou Pinella or Lenny Dykstra...someone like that run this league...

get someone who the players and owners respect...but who will always put the game first...grab Rose, and say...here's what you need to do...

you need to lay on the grave of Shoeless Joe Jackson for a month...

you need to serve peanuts in the bleachers of Yankee stadium for a month...and if you live...

you need to eat chicken with that ugly whore that Wade Boggs was banging...

you need to stand at home plate...While Ray Fosse's 5 grown kids round third base...heading for home ahead of the throw...

you need to publically apologize for fucking betting on the game...and apologize to Giamatti's family for fucking killing the guy...

you need to place a hit on Canseco...

and you need to place a $1,000,000 bet on the Reds to win the series this year...

after all of that pain...let him back the fuck in...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Bonds was a HOF'er before he ever got into the 'roids...

3 MVP's prior to 2000, and SHOULD have been 4 but they fucked him in '91 I believe because of Terry Pendleton...

But, IN MY OPINION, that is ALL washed away once he started on the 'roids...

POJO_Risin
03-25-2005, 09:10 PM
It's not washed away...

you're just hearing all the negatives about Bonds because that's all the fucker brings on himself is the negatives...

the fact that this guy has the audacity to fucking blame the media for "finally bringing him down..."

Whatever happened to humility...

Bonds can't look in the mirror like everyone else has to...it's all because of someone else...

He's a freakin' prick...and deserves all the pain that he gets...

He's going to get into the hall Va...

and nearly every article or piece on Bonds talks about what he did BEFORE steroids...

but facts are facts...he was an asshole then too...

Warham
03-25-2005, 11:52 PM
He's always been a spoiled brat.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
It's not washed away...

you're just hearing all the negatives about Bonds because that's all the fucker brings on himself is the negatives...

the fact that this guy has the audacity to fucking blame the media for "finally bringing him down..."

Whatever happened to humility...

Bonds can't look in the mirror like everyone else has to...it's all because of someone else...

He's a freakin' prick...and deserves all the pain that he gets...

He's going to get into the hall Va...

and nearly every article or piece on Bonds talks about what he did BEFORE steroids...

but facts are facts...he was an asshole then too...

Do you make a concerted effort to piss me off ???

Wait a minute, don't answer that... ;)

You fucking Clevelandian/Eriean/Edinborian/Slippery Rockian...

I said it was MY fucking opinion, if I had a vote (which I don't last time I checked), he would be out....

POJO_Risin
03-26-2005, 09:11 AM
The amazing piece about all of this is his reaction...

it's amazing to me to watch a guy that's 7 or 8 years OLDER than me...act like my 2 year old when he doesn't get chocolate...

It's amazing that there are people that think they are untouchable...

It's amazing that there are people that think all their problems are brought on by outside factors....

Is the media hard on Bonds? You bet your ass...in the same way they were hard on Ted Williams...

Bonds refuses to not only not respond to the media...which is fine...but even more than Williams...he has to put them down...

you reap what you sew...and Bonds is getting all that he deserves...