PDA

View Full Version : Dave's Vocals on "Zero"

SoldMySoul4RnR
03-24-2005, 10:00 PM
I was listening to the Gene Simmons produced demo "Zero" the other day and I must say, I was just in awe at Dave's voice on it. Hell, he's just freakin' awesome on it. I could be wrong but Id probably say that this is his best vocal performance ever. He sings the living shit out of every song and he breaks into his trademark scream a lot more than he did on the albums, especially on 'House of Pain', he just plain rocks on that song, I prefer that version to the one that ended up on 1984.

These are just my thoughts, what do you think people?

Calderone
03-24-2005, 10:45 PM
I dont like the zero style at all...was too young voice

Roguesgirl
03-25-2005, 01:08 AM
I thought his voice was a little too high but I like the wildness of it

I love the screams...

DLR7884
03-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Dave's voice on those early recordings was what kept VH from getting a record contract in 76. He grew into his voice as their record contract became a reality.

I like his voice on those recordings, and it's great to hear the way his voice evolved.

DLR7884
Very raw though.

Figs
03-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by SoldMySoul4RnR
I was listening to the Gene Simmons produced demo "Zero" the other day and I must say, I was just in awe at Dave's voice on it. Hell, he's just freakin' awesome on it. I could be wrong but Id probably say that this is his best vocal performance ever. He sings the living shit out of every song and he breaks into his trademark scream a lot more than he did on the albums, especially on 'House of Pain', he just plain rocks on that song, I prefer that version to the one that ended up on 1984.

These are just my thoughts, what do you think people?

I agree whole heartedly with you on "House of Pain"

BrownSound1
03-25-2005, 05:02 PM
I think part of it too was the shit ass production. Those guys were accustom to recording Paul Stanley, so they probably used the same eq settings for Dave. ;) I don't like the guitar tone either.

Big Troubles
03-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I think part of it too was the shit ass production. Those guys were accustom to recording Paul Stanley, so they probably used the same eq settings for Dave. ;) I don't like the guitar tone either.

I liked Dave's voice on that recording. I thought it was very real and raw, and that's what clicked for me. But everyone will have a different taste I suppose.

Hey BS1, that guitar tone you mentioned is very fucking hard to duplicate i tell ya. "You really got me" is one thing, but trying to play HOP, Big Trouble or She's the Woman is ultra hard. (for me anyways)

BrownSound1
03-28-2005, 07:01 PM
It doesn't sound like Dave to me....VH1 sounds like Dave.

Big Troubles
03-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
It doesn't sound like Dave to me....VH1 sounds like Dave.

VH1 sounds like a very "cleaned up" version of Zero to me. :D

bojangles
03-29-2005, 06:12 AM
Technically, his singing was pretty good i reckon... But the only thing that let him down was Gene's dodgy production, his vocal tone was too thin.

BrownSound1
03-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by bojangles
Technically, his singing was pretty good i reckon... But the only thing that let him down was Gene's dodgy production, his vocal tone was too thin.

Exactly....there was no bass..no growl in his voice.