PDA

View Full Version : The Metal Files Part II

PHOENIX
02-22-2004, 05:29 PM
RUSH

Over the course of their decades-spanning career, the Canadian power trio Rush emerged as one of hard rock's most highly-regarded bands; although typically brushed aside by critics and rare recipients of mainstream pop radio airplay, the group nonetheless won an impressive and devoted fan following, while their virtuoso performance skills solidified their standing as musicians' musicians.
Rush formed in Toronto, Ontario in the autumn of 1968, and initially comprised guitarist Alex Lifeson (born Alexander Zivojinovich), vocalist/bassist Geddy Lee (born Gary Lee Weinrib) and drummer John Rutsey. In their primary incarnation, the trio drew a heavy influence from Cream, and honed their skills on the Toronto club circuit before issuing their debut single, a rendition of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away," in 1973. A self-titled LP followed in 1974, at which time Rutsey exited; he was replaced by drummer Neil Peart, who also assumed the role of the band's primary songwriter, composing the cerebral lyrics (influenced by works of science fiction and fantasy) which gradually became a hallmark of the group's aesthetic.

With Peart firmly ensconced, Rush returned in 1975 with a pair of LPs, Fly by Night and Caress of Steel. Their next effort, 1976's 2112, proved to be their breakthrough release: a futuristic concept album based on the writings of Ayn Rand, it fused the elements of the trio's sound — Lee's high-pitched vocals, Peart's epic-length compositions and Lifeson's complex guitar work — into a unified whole. Fans loved it — 2112 was the first in a long line of gold and platinum releases — while critics dismissed it as overblown and pretentious: either way, it established a formula from which the band rarely deviated throughout the duration of their career.

A Farewell to Kings followed in 1977, and reached the Top 40 in both the U.S. and Britain. After 1978's Hemispheres, Rush achieved even greater popularity with 1980's Permanent Waves, a record marked by Peart's dramatic shift into shorter, less sprawling compositions; the single "The Spirit of Radio" even became a major hit. With 1981's Moving Pictures, the trio scored another hit of sorts with "Tom Sawyer," which garnered heavy exposure on album-oriented radio and became perhaps their best-known song. As the 1980s continued, Rush grew into a phenomenally popular live draw, as albums like 1982's Signals (which generated the smash "New World Man"), 1984's Grace Under Pressure and 1985's Power Windows continued to sell millions of copies.

As the decade drew to a close, the trio cut back on its touring schedule, while hardcore followers complained of a sameness afflicting slicker, synth-driven efforts like 1987's Hold Your Fire and 1989's Presto. At the dawn of the 1990s, however, Rush returned to the heavier sound of their early records and placed a renewed emphasis on Lifeson's guitar heroics; consequently, both 1991's Roll the Bones and 1993's Counterparts reached the Top Three on the U.S. album charts. In 1996, the band issued Test for Echo and headed out on the road the following summer. Shortly thereafter, Neil Peart lost his daughter in an automobile accident. Tragedy struck again in 1998 when Peart's wife succumbed to cancer. Dire times in the Rush camp did not cause the band to quit. Geddy Lee took time out for a solo stint with 2000's My Favorite Headache, however rumors of the band playing the studio began to circulate. It would be five years until anything surfaced from the band. Fans were reassured in early 2002 of news that Rush was recording new songs in Toronto. The fruit of those sessions led to the release of Rush's 17th studio album, Vapor Trails later that spring.

Mr Badguy
02-23-2004, 02:10 PM
You know, that`s what I love about Rush, everybody`s got their favourite period of music.

Although they`ve been going for more than 30 years, they`ve never become stale and have constantly changed their sound, without ever not sounding like Rush.

That`s what I call a real progressive rock band.

I really enjoy Iron Maiden, Queensryche, ELP etc. and while they`ve been termed progressive, they`ve rarely shifted from the musical style they set for themselves.

Rush, on the other hand, could be labelled "The most progressive rock band af all time".

Take three any three albums from their back catologue, for example "A farewell to kings", "Hold your fire" and "Vapor trails", and it would be hard to tell you were listening to the same band, except for the band`s trademark sounds.

Fantastic.

PHOENIX
02-23-2004, 04:28 PM
I prefer the 80's period. I guess they had the coolest keyboard riffs then.

Mr Badguy
02-23-2004, 05:47 PM
I would pick everything between "2112" and "Hold your fire".

If you listen to the albums in sequence, there`s a real evolution in the bands music, with the keyboards gradually becoming a bigger part of the sound.

I have heard lots of fans say how much they hate the keyboard stuff but I love it, it gave the songs real depth.

The albums since then have all been very good ("Vapor trails" being one of my all time favorites), but you can`t match the excitement of the 1976-87 period.

I would say Rush were the Led Zeppelin of the 80`s in terms of the eclectic music they created.

PHOENIX
02-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I would pick everything between "2112" and "Hold your fire".

If you listen to the albums in sequence, there`s a real evolution in the bands music, with the keyboards gradually becoming a bigger part of the sound.

I have heard lots of fans say how much they hate the keyboard stuff but I love it, it gave the songs real depth.

The albums since then have all been very good ("Vapor trails" being one of my all time favorites), but you can`t match the excitement of the 1976-87 period.

I would say Rush were the Led Zeppelin of the 80`s in terms of the eclectic music they created.

Hold your fire is great. I also like some stuff from Presto and Roll the Bones. My all time favourite song though is La Villa Strangiato.

Viking
03-01-2004, 02:40 AM
Ah, man, memories - I remember when I was in the amy, and I'd pop Moving Pictures into my walkman every chance I got.

NE169
03-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

I'm one of them--though I dug GUP from the beginning--still one of my favorite Rush albums--even Alex says he still hates the keyboards.

Power Windows is a forgettable album--strangely enough, I'll probably be hunting for boots from that era soon enough.

And though in the 90s, they were coming back to a fuller guitar sound, Counterparts was the kick in the ass that they sorely needed, especially for Alex.

And didn't we have this discussion @ DDLR several months back?:)

Mr Badguy
03-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Yup, but opinions can change.

Even though I love the 80`s albums with all the keyboards, I can`t stop playing "Vapor trails" and that doesn`t contain one synthesizer at all.

How progressive can you get where you can go full circle with your sound over 30 years and come out the other side still with something exciting to offer?

BrownSound1
03-05-2004, 05:49 PM
2112 is without a doubt the best Rush album...PERIOD! I kind of lost interest with them when they did that song with that skinny bitch from 'Til Tuesday. If only Geddy would belt those vocals like he used to.