PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer old gears to new ones?

Cato
03-26-2005, 03:44 AM
I do. I'm not interested in new gears.

Cato
03-26-2005, 03:46 AM
my legendary pawnshop stratocaster was made in 1995 but it's a 54 model. that's why I bought it.

GAR
03-26-2005, 07:06 PM
1991 Mexico Telecaster= $100, pawnshop off 3rd near Alvarado. With a gigbag.

Panamark
03-27-2005, 04:11 AM
So you dont like new stuff but buy 95 strats ? :)

CATO, you are an enigma wrapped in a mystery !

Don Corleone
03-27-2005, 04:59 AM
I've got to admit, I tend to prefer newer gear, then to put my own miles down on them (beat them up and mod them to get it the way I like)

Panamark
03-27-2005, 08:23 AM
I just buy the old stuff

Panamark
03-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Why fuck around ?

80's Marshalls and guitars were great....

Don Corleone
03-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Why fuck around ?

80's Marshalls and guitars were great....

Guitar wise, you have to fuck round with them to get them right. Amp wise though, I do favour my old Plexi (its 68 or 69).

Nitro Express
03-27-2005, 02:01 PM
I don't care when it's made, I just want it to sound good. Not all old gear is good. They have always built crap. Some of these expensive vintage guitars people are paying huge sums of money for don't always sound good.

I think the place where old vs. new really comes into play is in the electronis. Some components are no longer made and it's impossible to match the sound of some old amps and peddles.

tomballin
03-28-2005, 03:09 AM
Late 50’s – Early 60’s Custom Fender stage tube amps, along with same vintage years Strats and Gibsons is all I own or want. Yeah, a little bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, but just a personal sound thing. Been playing since I popped out on the delivery table, tipped the Nurse 50 cents, and asked “which way to Hollywood”. - DLR

Cato
03-28-2005, 07:52 AM
um, for example, here's a couple of tube screamers. one is an original issue, made in the late '70s, another one is a re-issue made in 2003.
which would you take, and why?

tomballin
03-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Cato
um, for example, here's a couple of tube screamers. one is an original issue, made in the late '70s, another one is a re-issue made in 2003. which would you take, and why?

Well gear is like women, it’s all personal taste and preference.

However, when it comes to signal processors and studio gear, I usually go for the new stuff because the technology is vastly superior to the old stuff.

The only old signal processors I have is a Fender '63 Reverb unit, because I like the sound, along with an old Ibanez Tube Screamer, that actually has a tube in it, which sounds cool on blues stuff, and Ibanez stopped making that box many years ago, due to lack of demand.

BrownSound1
03-28-2005, 08:26 PM
A Tube Screamer with a tube in it? What's the model number of that?

tomballin
03-29-2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
A Tube Screamer with a tube in it? What's the model number of that?

It’s a Ibanez ECC83/12AX7 Tube. This model was for guitar, they had a bass model also.

In short it’s called an Ibanex PUE5 Tube, for professional musicians.

Ibanez came out with it after Stevie Ray Vaughan died in 1990 to showcase a signal processing board off what SRV was using.

It’s actually a six pedal combo board:

Tube Screamer, with an actual vented tube inside, (like SRV was using and he used it a lot),

Tube Drive (SRV didn’t use much, usually set at 0-1 for lead riffs),

Digital Delay (SRV used a lot)

Chorus (SRV used on songs like Cold Shot, etc.)

External Loop, (which I have channeled though a ‘63 Fender Reverb, and stereo split rig to two ‘59 Fender re-issue tube stage amps)

It has a lot of other professional features also. It’s really a sweat piece of gear, if you are into blues-rock. I just happened to stumble across it in ’93 and bought one. As much as I have used it, I'm surprised I have never had to find a replace tube for it.

BrownSound1
03-29-2005, 02:58 AM
Well that clears up my question then. I was thinking like a TS808 type of Tube Screamer, and I couldn't think of one that Ibanez made in that type of package.

I've got a Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal that has 2 12AX7's in it, and I love it.

So you've got one of the Fender Reverb units? Those are great...no one can make a reverb like Fender.

tomballin
03-29-2005, 03:12 AM
Well that clears up my question then. I was thinking like a TS808 type of Tube Screamer, and I couldn't think of one that Ibanez made in that type of package.

I've got a Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal that has 2 12AX7's in it, and I love it.

So you've got one of the Fender Reverb units? Those are great...no one can make a reverb like Fender.

Yelp, the Reverb is great, just don't accidently bang on it with those springs inside, ouch.

Here's a pic of the Ibanez PUE 5 Tube

The tube is right under that black vent directly above the PU letters. When you look down on the board, you can see it glowing.

The pedals are all sequence/combo programmable, plenty of line in/line outs, nice stereo line outs for example, even one for a digital tuner.

tomballin
03-29-2005, 03:56 AM
Here is a better pic

http://img219.exs.cx/img219/563/pue53yk.jpg

Panamark
03-29-2005, 04:00 AM
FUCK !! I WANT ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks Awesome !!!!

Panamark
03-29-2005, 04:01 AM
Brownsound1 !! What do ya reckon ?? Fookin ACE !

Panamark
03-29-2005, 04:04 AM
Man, if that had a Wah/Flange on it, it would be effects Nirvana to me.
I love the design and simplicity of it. I bet it sounds cool.

tomballin
03-29-2005, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Man, if that had a Wah/Flange on it, it would be effects Nirvana to me.
I love the design and simplicity of it. I bet it sounds cool.

Ok, let’s round out the rest of the toys.

On my signal processing pedal board I have the following:
(been no change basically in many years)

Fender switched “stomp buttons” factory box to control Amps’ channels, reverb units, separate ‘63 Fender Reverb, and signal effects plugged straight into the preamps.

Ibanez PUE5-Tube Multi-Effects Pedal Board

Boss:
Compression/Sustainer CS-3
Digital Delay DD-3
Metal Zone MT-2
Chromatic Tuner, plugged straight into the PUE5’s special jack
…..(this is a nice feature because it by-passes the effects of the PUE5, and makes tuning a lot easier and faster)

CryBaby:
Original Wah-Wah Pedal
Volume Pedal

Peavey Signal Accelerator Pedal

Old Yahama Signal Mix-Down Unit. Cannot remember the model.
…….Had it a long time, Think it came over on the Mayflower :-)

I like to play a lot of SRV, Randy Rhodes, Satriani, CVH style music. I don’t have a lot of blistering speed, and play on pretty heavy gauge strings usually, so I have to cheat a little.

But, Satriani was using two in-line digital delays, a doubler, a signal sweep box, signal accelerator, and more, the last time I saw him play front row right in front of him, so what the hell.

Also look at the boat load of signal processing effects EVH uses. I am also a tone and sound fanatic. I hate whinny, screechy guitars. I like a fat sound with lots of soul, from Les Pauls and Strats.

BrownSound1
03-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Very cool tomballin....I'm a tone fanatic as well. I'm very close to what I want, but you know I can't quit fiddling with the knobs. :D

tomballin
03-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Very cool tomballin....I'm a tone fanatic as well. I'm very close to what I want, but you know I can't quit fiddling with the knobs. :D

That's what I hate about old Fender tube amps, even the re-issues. Killer sound, but the settings change dramatically on the power curve. Drives me nuts sometimes.

Also amazing how much different two identical amps, from the same manufacturing lot, can be.

Oh well

BrownSound1
03-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Oh yeah, I've never been able to get the same sound out of different amps, even though they are the same make and model.

tomballin
03-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Oh yeah, I've never been able to get the same sound out of different amps, even though they are the same make and model.

Women (Amps), what are ya going to do? Kinda like my post to Lou on MP3's, a while back.

-----------

My comment to Lou in Bootleg Corner, on his incessant whining about ultra minor clicks and hisses in MP3’s.

This was my take on the whole matter.

http://img178.exs.cx/img178/9747/loudpaclickshiss1nj.jpg

Cathedral
03-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Amps, can go old or new, prefer old Soldano's.
Guitars, gotta get them new, like a virgin, can't get comfortable with someone else's style broke into it.

Finding an old guitar in like-new condition is like finding a 40 year old virgin...heaven on earth.

Panamark
03-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Thats so true about AMPS. Thats why you should never sell one you love. You may never get that tone back again, ever !

Cathedral
03-30-2005, 12:24 AM
I agree, that is why i go back and forth on selling the 5150II, lol, yeah, that Peavey thing.
I have it just the way i like it, except for the low buzz we haven't been able to eliminate from it.

And about guitars, how do you feel about letting others play your axes?
I am very funny about that when people ask if they can check mine out.
I have this quirk about it being equal to asking me if they can sleep with my woman.
Actually, i have at times thought that i'd sooner let them at her then let them put their sweaty paws on my fretboard, lol.

I lent my SG copy to a friend in highschool for one week, and when i went to get it back it was in pieces, completely torn down and he said it was because he broke a string....angry doesn't cover the emotions i experienced.
If it was a screw, it was unscrewed.
If he hadn't held up $20 for my trouble i'd have ripped his freakin head off on the spot.

I did actually learn soemthing putting it back together.....Never let someone touch my gear again, lol.

Hardrock69
03-30-2005, 01:40 AM
About 8 years ago I got a rack mount ART SGX2000 used for 275 bucks. Really cool, and has a 12AX7 tube in it. But I never use it. I originally wanted to run it as a live thang, have the Marshall set on clean, and use the unit for distortion and FX, but to be quite honest, all I really need are some stomp boxes and I am happy. I have an original TS-9 Tube Screamer, and all I need aside from that would be a noise gate, some kind of digital delay/reverb, and a wah pedal.

I prefer old gear, as it is not just good to play, but a good investment as well.

Considering my Marshall halfstack cost me a total of $550, and is now worth a grand minimum. , I say I did alright. And I love the Almighty Singing Crunch!!!
:D

However, the very best sound I ever got in my life lasted only about 20 minutes.

It was back in 1980, and I was at a friend's jam room with my 1975 Gibson Flying V. I plugged it into my friend's amp (a 1955 Tweed Fender Twin) running through an Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes distortion box...

The guitar SANG to me that night.....it was the most beautfiul harmonic feedback-drenched distortion I ever heard.

I realize that tripping on acid may have had some effect on my perception, but three things are certain A) The tone was amazing. B) IT REALLY DID HAPPEN (even though I was tripping I did not hallucinate) C) IT only lasted 20 minutes because after 20 minutes I could not play the guitar any more. I tripped so heavily that I could not move my fingers around on the fretboard, or hit only one string at a time with my pick....then I dropped the pick....then it was time to put the guitar back in it's case, and go count the air.....

:D

Oh, and I only let people touch my guitars if they are a very close friend, or I know they can play at least as well as I can.

Cathedral
03-30-2005, 01:51 AM
Counting Air, I can relate to that if flashbacks serve me correctly.
I only tripped a couple of times, but that stuff did some damage that i still notice today.

I ran my car into a bridge support on purpose the last time i did acid and destroyed a beautiful Charger.....regrets suck!

I am a fan of stomp boxes myself. I just don't care for that noticeable processed tone at all, which is why i hated the 5150 album (barring the Spam factor).
Ed screwed up his sound big time in my opinion, and it only got worse from there.

BrownSound1
03-30-2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by tomballin
Women (Amps), what are ya going to do? Kinda like my post to Lou on MP3's, a while back.

-----------

My comment to Lou in Bootleg Corner, on his incessant whining about ultra minor clicks and hisses in MP3’s.

This was my take on the whole matter.

http://img178.exs.cx/img178/9747/loudpaclickshiss1nj.jpg

Every amp has things that you have to do to them to make them work just right. Some might like to the low end pushed a bit more, or you might have to diddle the presence knob a bit just to make them purr. Which is EXACTLY the way women are. :D

For instance my Marshall Plexi doesn't moan until she's up around 7 or so. Of course who cares if your neighbors hear some moaning. (I guess I will care if the neighborhood committee comes knocking on my door.) ;)

tomballin
03-30-2005, 02:11 AM
Aw, just put a set of solid nickel core .12’s on your axe, and set the action up real high, then no one will want to play it, lol.

Originally posted by Cathedral
I agree, that is why i go back and forth on selling the 5150II, lol, yeah, that Peavey thing.
I have it just the way i like it, except for the low buzz we haven't been able to eliminate from it.

I have this quirk about it being equal to asking me if they can sleep with my woman.
Actually, i have at times thought that i'd sooner let them at her then let them put their sweaty paws on my fretboard, lol.

I lent my SG copy to a friend in highschool for one week, and when i went to get it back it was in pieces, completely torn down and he said it was because he broke a string....angry doesn't cover the emotions i experienced.
If he hadn't held up $20 for my trouble i'd have ripped his freakin head off on the spot.

I did actually learn soemthing putting it back together.....Never let someone touch my gear again, lol.

BrownSound1
03-30-2005, 02:19 AM
There are certain friends that I will let play my guitars IF I ask them if they want to play it. You just don't go up and ask someone if you can play their guitar. That's an unwritten law, just like you don't go into a restroom where there is a wall full of unoccupied urinals, except for one, and go right up next to the guy and take a piss. You've got to have a minimum of one empty urinal between you. It's just fucking taboo to ask to play someone's guitar.

Panamark
03-30-2005, 03:41 AM

Totally agree CAT ! I wont let somebody play my Destroyer. (Unless I
love that person) Thats the only exception. I agree with
the other comments here too about just going up and asking
"Can I play your guitar" .. Thats not cool, unless you are closeknit.

BS1 ! Your urinal analogy is hillarious. What is it with those dudes that
have to stand next to you when there is like three miles of empty
urinal ?? I always worry they are gay and just want to perve at your
cock..

I point away from them.. Fuck em...

Hardrock69
03-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Counting Air, I can relate to that if flashbacks serve me correctly.
I only tripped a couple of times, but that stuff did some damage that i still notice today.

I ran my car into a bridge support on purpose the last time i did acid and destroyed a beautiful Charger.....regrets suck!

I am a fan of stomp boxes myself. I just don't care for that noticeable processed tone at all, which is why i hated the 5150 album (barring the Spam factor).
Ed screwed up his sound big time in my opinion, and it only got worse from there.

Another band that lost it due to over-processing of their guitar sound was Judas Priest. They were ok up to Screaming For Vengeance, but then they started going down hill after that, and by Ram It Down I was pretty disgusted with the artificial, sterile, laboratory sound they were getting.

They were using Rockman's with their guitar rigs by 1990. I had a friend who worked at SIR studios in the early 90s, and when Priest showed up to rehearse with their new drummer (Scott Travis), he ran their monitors in the rehearsal room they were in...

BlimpyCHIMP™
03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Cato
um, for example, here's a couple of tube screamers. one is an original issue, made in the late '70s, another one is a re-issue made in 2003.
which would you take, and why?

I WOULD TAKE BOTH OF EM AND SHOVE THE OLDEST ONE UP YOUR ASS AND THE OTHER DOWN YOUR FUCKING THROAT YOU CRAPPY JAP

Nitro Express
04-04-2005, 04:11 AM
Holy fuck, you sound just like my uncle who fought the squint eyed bastards on Iwo Jima and was lucky enough to tell about it.

jojo2371
04-06-2005, 02:27 PM
lol is this a worldwar2 thread or old vs. new gear thread ?

tomballin
04-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Every amp has things that you have to do to them to make them work just right. Some might like to the low end pushed a bit more, or you might have to diddle the presence knob a bit just to make them purr. Which is EXACTLY the way women are. :D

For instance my Marshall Plexi doesn't moan until she's up around 7 or so. Of course who cares if your neighbors hear some moaning. (I guess I will care if the neighborhood committee comes knocking on my door.) ;)

baaawaaa!

My ex-wife’s “presence knobs” didn’t work. Guess that’s why it’s ex now, lol.

As I said, I like the vintage stage amps, but when it comes to p-tang, I like the newer stuff.

Tighter sound, greater oscillation, and superior sustain.