PDA

View Full Version : Bush Hits New Low

LoungeMachine
03-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Saturday, March 26, 2005 - Page updated at 12:00 a.m.

Bush hits a new low in polls for job approval

By Ron Hutcheson

Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON — President Bush's job-approval rating has sunk to 45 percent, the worst of his presidency, amid public opposition at his intervention in the Terri Schiavo case and growing concern over gasoline prices.

The 45 percent rating is a far cry from his record 90 percent approval after the Sept. 11 attacks, but it's still well above the low marks scored by most recent presidents.

Except for a slight bounce after the Jan. 30 Iraqi elections, Bush's job-approval rating has been stuck in the high 40s to low 50s since early 2004. The Gallup polling organization tests the president's standing almost weekly by asking voters if they "approve or disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling his job."

Pollsters attributed the president's lackluster showing to economic worries, high fuel prices and a public backlash against his entry into the Schiavo case. The CNN/USA Today/Gallup nationwide survey of 1,001 adults — the margin of error is plus or minus 3 percentage points — was conducted Monday through Wednesday, after Bush signed legislation that gave federal courts a chance to decide whether Schiavo should be allowed to die. Federal courts have refused to intervene.

Polls showed that big majorities of Americans — 70 to 82 percent — opposed the intervention by Bush and Congress.

But the Schiavo case isn't Bush's only political problem.

"The public's increasingly dismal views about the economy, and about the way things are going in general, could also be factors in Bush's lower approval rating," a Gallup analysis said. "Even more dramatic is the greater pessimism about the future of the nation's economy."

Nearly 60 percent of Americans believe the economy is worsening, compared with one-third who think it's improving. About 32 percent think economic conditions are good or excellent, compared with 41 percent who felt that way at the start of the year.

Economic jitters seem directly related to rising gas prices. That ranked at the top of concerns, along with unemployment and low wages.

Only 5 percent mentioned fuel prices last month, before average retail prices surged sharply above $2 a gallon nationally.

Even at his current low point, Bush outscores every other recent president's low point since John Kennedy, who bottomed out with a 56 percent approval rating. Richard Nixon holds the modern record for the lowest approval rating — 24 percent during the Watergate scandal.

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company

Nickdfresh
03-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Social Security reform anybody? Not from this Administration!

academic punk
03-26-2005, 11:16 AM
It was either MSNBC or CNN this morning where one analyst (who also took the dems to task for they way they split their vote this past monday morning) that Bush made the mistake of thinking this last election gave him a mandate.

It obviously didn't. Mandates are considered when someone wins 55% of the pop vote, and though Bush got the most pop votes ever back in November, he also generated the most votes against.

Between his and the larger republican drive on SS and the politicization of the Schiavo thing, damage control mode begins now.

It's impossible for him to back down on either issue though. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here: has the plan all along been to "martyr" Terri Schiavo, so the right-to-life (anti-abortion) issue can have a fresh push (under the guise of an attractive wehite woman)?

Is she going to in her final moments mutter "Rosebud" and prove that there was a consciousness there all along? Is this all just a smoke screen to divert attention?

Everything that constitutes conventional wisdom, Bush has thus far managed to not only thwart, but also stand on its ear and completely reverse.

I'm really concerned. The Bushes are careful, smart, savvy. Something about this doesn't sit well. For me, anyway.

Nickdfresh
03-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by academic punk

Is she going to in her final moments mutter "Rosebud" and prove that there was a consciousness there all along? Is this all just a smoke screen to divert attention?

You know, I heard her mother claimed that TERRI uttered the words "Wait, I want to live!" when her feeding tube was removed. The Judge asked for clarification and she then said TERRI said, "WAAAAAA UHHHHHH!" Yeah, I trust these people on anything!:rolleyes:

Switch84
03-26-2005, 12:27 PM
:( I'm not surprised his approval rating hit an all time low. I'm not too happy with the motherfucker myself, especially with this Terri Schiavo-pimping his agenda thing! Less government is what he waxed poetic about, less government is what he should follow through with, gosh DAMN IT!

And fuck you to those that'll mention that I voted for him! How many of your preferred politicians followed through on every fuckin' thing they promised?

Yeah, just what I thought...I hear cricket chirping its so silent.

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!