PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Van Halen

Sarge
02-22-2004, 06:41 PM
David Lee Roth Crazy From The Heat autobiography
I did what I did with Van Halen in good faith and I left on good faith and I asked for no quarter. I asked for no settlement, nothing. And I guess that’s precisely what I got. I should have led with my fist instead of my heart, but that would have put me right down in the bottom of the barrel with the kind of thinking that I’m railing against now.

I’m very proud of what was that band and what was that show and what it did mean to people. It disgusts me that it has turned into the complete opposite. That it now represents everything that I spoke against, that we supposedly represented the converse of. I don’t want to have to remember that the team turned into that. Makes me question what the team was while I was a member.

Was it all bullshit? If nothing else, it confirms in my mind that from my standpoint—yours truly, David Lee—not a fraction. If nothing else, this kind of morbid, wounded animal anger aimed my way has caused me to look deep into that bathroom mirror and come back to you with "my shit was legit." It was for real. And perhaps the test is time. Because here I am, a decade and a half later, haven’t changed much. I look a little different, but not much. My sense of humor is about the same.

When I left Van Halen, it was not something that I was delighted to do. I was not celebrating. I was not relieved. It was one of the scariest moments in my life. I perceived that Van Halen was heading towards catastrophe. So do you ride that plane all the way into the sand? I said no, we’d already been through a year’s worth of the Hatfields and the McCoys with the bottle of moonshine in between—and I’m not a prince. I am not Mr. Not Guilty at all, but the chemistry between us was becoming morbid, it was becoming threatening and nonproductive. You can hear it in the music, it started turning melancholy right after I left. That’s great, there’s plenty of room for melancholy music, but it’s not my personal constitution.

Ed and I hugged each other and cried at my father’s house. I said, "Ed, your brother is up to two six-packs a day. Maybe if we get ourselves square, down the line we can reconvene, and I would love nothing more than that." I don’t think he understood. We went our own ways.

Some six months later, perhaps less, somebody deposited a stack of magazines as long as your forearm on my desk, full of all the new Van Halen interviews. It had been easier for them to put a new album together because I had worked with Edward on half of that album already. Brought in a new singer, went right to all those old tapes and started with that as their go point, so it was much easier for them to reconstruct. It was going to take me a considerable while longer. So that first stack of magazines landed in front of me, and it was a Van Halen hatred campaign that was peddled belligerently and strongly as it is to this day. This had been a spectacular group, spectacular writing unit and a sensational show, and if you got anywheres near any element of it, it changed your life.

And here we currently reside thirteen years later, same mudslinging, same kind of thinking from their camp. So I guess the most critical decision I have to make is, do I really describe some of their carryings on, on the road’? Or do I continue to be the quiet guy? Do I continue to be the nice guy? Ninety-nine percent of all the hijinks and carrying on was my contribution, but everybody had a proclivity. Everybody had a little side-bar to their story.

It’s unfortunate that this feuding has to continue all the way up until the present, because what Van Halen meant to a lot of people and myself in particular, was very positive. What it meant in the early days—read:

The time period that I was involved in the band—is hanging in there like an Indian summer. It’s still all over the radio, still in the magazines, people still ask questions about the breakup.

I guess the best I can say is: Don’t believe every syllable of everything that you read by everybody who wrote it. Go out and buy those records and see if you can hear the truth in the music. That’s my recommendation. Some of those records you may have to buy twice—just in case you want your best pal to listen in too so you can discuss it some more. Dolemite, motherfucker!

Copyright ©1997 David Lee Roth Crazy From The Heat.

Big Troubles
02-22-2004, 06:59 PM
So Gospel isn't? The man- David Lee!

DavidLeeNatra
02-22-2004, 07:04 PM
this book is always near my bed...and very often I open it and read through some chapters...this made me pick it up right now and I read the "reunion blues"-chapter again...and I believe every word dave says about it (remember that quote? ed:"at least...dave never lied")

to read with how much respect dave still talks about his days back in the band and the fucking brothers after all the hatred they broght to him...this man has more class than they will EVER have (sam, you are included)...but it leaves some kind of bitter taste and melancholy because it is so sad what happened to the legacy of the biggest fun and party and big rock band this planet has seen...yes, I know...all this has been said a thousand times before...but what do we have left from these fuckers...

Sarge
02-22-2004, 07:19 PM
it's the bible.. for modern day heathens..

Sweet Irony
02-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Well, that would be all of us....

That IS a good book, no reason everyone here shouldnt have a copy!

Big Troubles
02-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Cheap plug for Dave's book. Dave would be proud. Buy it here

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786863390/qid=1077497647/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/104-8215205-3834367?v=glance&s=books

if you like it, tell a friend. If you don't like it, tell him too, 'cause dave will still be here!

MikeVanHln
02-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Great story Sarge. It's one of those that make you say Hmmmmm, wow, that's a great fucking story and that's how things really were huh? Dave is without a doubt, the best of the best and his stories prove it.

Hecubus
02-22-2004, 11:57 PM
It's really a cryin' shame that things deteriorated the way they did...

Fame will do that I guess.

Flash Bastard
02-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Sarge, can you post more material from the book? I haven't been lucky enough to find a copy.

eBay blows.

Panamark
02-23-2004, 02:21 AM
Thats a good read. The part that confuses me though is when Dave says "Ed, your brother is up to two six-packs a day. Maybe if we get ourselves square, down the line we can reconvene, and I would love nothing more than that."

Now, Ive always thought Van Halen were all massive consumers of drugs and alcohol. It seems strange that these bad boys would call out Alex for two six packs a day ??

Anyone else find this strange ? Could it be around 85, Ed wasnt a huge alcoholic ?? I would have thought Ed would be on two six packs for breakfast, back in those times. Seems strange that Dave would say this to Ed.

DavidLeeNatra
02-23-2004, 05:38 AM
well, two six-packs is something like four liters of beer every (!!!) day...I'm sure they all were heavy consumers at that time but it depends on how strong you are to know when to stop...two six-packs for a party? no problem but every day? I dunno...

dave once quoted that the lying dutchmen have been to the betty ford hospital several times...so they weren't able to control it on their own...but dave also called them weaklings or triple weaklings so I don't wonder about that...

Mr Grimsdale
02-23-2004, 05:43 AM
i thank you for those comments as much as if you had just cut off both my feet!
by gods face i swear i shall never eat bread again until you desist from such innuendo!

Panamark
02-23-2004, 05:55 AM
A fool that takes you for an idiot's no drongo.

Panamark
02-23-2004, 05:58 AM
Two six packs ? thats kinda wussy for a Rockstar.
Maybe Dave was concerned that he wasnt drinking enough ?

Big Troubles
02-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Flash Bastard
Sarge, can you post more material from the book? I haven't been lucky enough to find a copy.

eBay blows.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books

DavidLeeNatra
02-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Two six packs ? thats kinda wussy for a Rockstar.
Maybe Dave was concerned that he wasnt drinking enough ?

then the correct quote would be "your brother is DOWN to two six-packs a day" :D

Terry
02-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Great book. But even Roth admits he's as much to blame for the mudslinging in the press over the years.

I think Ed, Al and Mike just got lazy after the whole 1984 deal, and wanted to kick back and relax. The music after Roth left sounded like they were phoning it in. Seems like Dave just wanted to continue in high gear and the rest of Halen couldn't be bothered to keep up with him. Am sure the booze didn't help much.

As for 1996, there are points where I think Ed thought it would be something cool for the fans to do a couple of new songs with Dave, and nothing more....and it would also be a good way to insure the Best Of Vol 1 would sell well. Ed may have convinced himself that most people had forgotten about Roth over the previous decade +, and never expected the fallout when a full-blown reunion didn't materialize. Combined with the fact that he didn't want to share the spotlight with Dave again.

Then there are other points where I think Ed and Al just manipulated Dave into the whole scenario just to revive interest in Van Halen (each album after 5150 sold less than the one before it), with no intentions of doing anything long term at any point. They thought it would be 1986 all over again when Cherone joined. Just a lot of self-delusion going on.

Put it this way: Way more likely that Roth is tel;ing the truth about it than the Van Halens.

rustoffa
02-23-2004, 07:41 PM
The bit about the flashpots always cracks me up."it was like the tet offensive"-DLR. Ahahahahaha!:D

Va Beach VH Fan
02-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
Ed and I hugged each other and cried at my father’s house. I said, "Ed, your brother is up to two six-packs a day. Maybe if we get ourselves square, down the line we can reconvene, and I would love nothing more than that." I don’t think he understood. We went our own ways.

For two people who supposedly hate each other, there's some significant huggin' goin' on....

They hug when they broke the band up.....

They sure as hell hugged at the occasion seen below, and I still get goosebumps when I see it....

And it is for that reason that I STILL believe it will happen one day....

Terry
02-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
For two people who supposedly hate each other, there's some significant huggin' goin' on....

They sure as hell hugged at the occasion seen below, and I still get goosebumps when I see it....

Ed just doesn't want to know. He's been without Dave so long, and spent so much time trying to convince everyone that he was Van Halen, that it would take an enormous amount of humility on Eddie's part to face the fact that he was at his best when Dave was in the band.

Dave initiated that hug at the VMA's. Dave was ready to go in 1996. Dave's been ready to go for about 8 years now. Ed's just got this combination of arrogance and confusion. He's still reeling from Van Halen 3 tanking, his wife leaving him, his cancer and his inability to lead a band with a consistent lineup, yet he can't bear to bury all the petty bullshit and get Roth back in the fold.

Ed's too tired to summon the energy he would need to create music with Dave. That level of intensity, clarity of focus and desire left him a long time ago. Ed wants to coast along and fiddle about with music that represents no challenge. He's just not up to Roth's game anymore.

Sure, as long as they're all still alive, a classic lineup reunion is possible, but Ed will take the chickenshit way out and do a Sam Halen reunion instead. Eddie can fob off any half-assed riff, and Hagar will be all too happy to break out the Hallmark cards and crib a few lines over it. Quality control went out the window after Roth left.

TMR
02-23-2004, 10:45 PM
This is what makes DLR so great!

Great thing he jumped ship or I would of never had the best record of all time!!!!!!!!

DavidLeeNatra
02-24-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

no...fuck...no...DAVE called ed, DAVE wanted to stop mudslinging and to be at peace, DAVE brought back the REAL spirit of =VH= for a short moment and DAVE hugged ed...the brothers were just there and fucked it up...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
no...fuck...no...DAVE called ed, DAVE wanted to stop mudslinging and to be at peace, DAVE brought back the REAL spirit of =VH= for a short moment and DAVE hugged ed...the brothers were just there and fucked it up...

You guys may very well be right....

There's one major thing in my mind that still tells me that it's possible....

For all of the mudslinging that you mentioned, Edward Lodewijk has NEVER made anything close to a public statement that Dave would never again be the lead singer of Van Halen....

If his hatred for Dave reportedly is so intense, why hasn't he made that statement once in the last 20 years ??

Big Troubles
02-25-2004, 10:02 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books

if you like it, tell a friend. If you don't like it, tell him too, 'cause dave will still be here!