PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Springer As Radio Liberal Mouthpiece

blueturk
03-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Some people are scratching their heads over pro-Republican media giant Clear Channel's syndication of Jerry Springer's liberal radio show. But think about it. Liberals for years have been able to condemn Rush Limbaugh as a pill-popping hypocrite. But how in the hell do you defend JERRY SPRINGER? You can't. Those assholes at Clear Channel are far more devious than than their formulaic, faceless radio stations would have you to believe.

ANALYSIS

Conservative radio springs a surprise
Sunday, March 27, 2005
Clint O'Connor
Plain Dealer Reporter

You either hate Jerry Springer or really hate him.

Thus, he is the perfect radio host. Someone to enrage listeners with habit-forming bombast. His fledgling syndicated show landed in Cleveland this week on WTAM AM/1100.

Springer's first few shows were wall-to-wall Terri Schiavo, the brain-damaged Florida woman whose medical condition became the story of the week. One topic endlessly driven into the ground is about as interesting on radio as it is on cable news. Springer droned on too long; his callers droned on too long.

What's shocking, however, was not that another TV personality was taking radio for a spin, it was the focus of his attacks: Republicans.

For more than a decade, radio talk has been astoundingly dominated by right-wing hosts. Rush Limbaugh and his descendants - Sean Hannity, Tony Snow, Michael Medved, among many others - have kept the conservative drums beating and stuck strictly to the script: America's greatness is diminished only by the liberal media elite, tax-and-spend Democrats and godless gun-hating lefties who want to kill fetuses.

Springer is the conservatives' enemy.

An unwed, crack-addicted, welfare mother proclaiming her lesbianism would be considered a tame guest on Springer's sleazy TV show.

And yet. Here he is weekday mornings on WTAM, home to Limbaugh, being touted as a "passionate progressive" and the "voice of the middle class."

WTAM is owned by Clear Channel Communications. Executives of the San Antonio-based entertainment giant, which owns more than 1,200 radio stations, repeatedly have financed various Republicans, especially George W. Bush. Now they're paying Springer to attack the war in Iraq, the Christian Right, Bush's Social Security reform and Republican "hypocrites." What gives?

"These are businessmen, and there must be money there," said Mike McVay, head of the Westlake-based McVay Media, the nation's largest radio consulting firm.

McVay said Springer should serve as an interesting lead-in to Limbaugh, as he evolves from "shock TV host to intellectual radio talk-show host."

Two things happened last year to make Springer viable for Clear Channel.

In March 2004, Air America Radio debuted. The New York-based liberal talk-humor network featuring Al Franken and Randi Rhodes billed itself as the "other side of the debate" to counteract the glut of conservative talkers. It started on 11 stations. It's now on 51.

A few weeks later, as an experiment, Clear Channel added Air America to KPOG, one of its smaller AM stations in Portland, Ore. KPOG shot from a bottom-dwelling 26th in the ratings to third. With a mix of liberal local hosts and Air America programs, Clear Channel has expanded the experiment to more than 20 markets.

Then last month, Clear Channel reported losses of $4.67 billion for 2004. It was actually a "write-down of asset values" from its radio stations. Fellow media behemoth Viacom also devalued its radio group, Infinity, by $10.9 billion. Ouch.

Fewer people are listening to the radio, so why not try something new? You would expect that to fly in Portland, or, say, Madison, Wis., but what about Cleveland? Certainly someone inside Clear Channel noticed that John Kerry scored well in Northeast Ohio in November (even Tim Hagan's anemic gubernatorial campaign in 2002 managed to carry Cuyahoga County).

Does that mean "progressive talk" will revolutionize the industry and be the salvation of sagging corporations? No. But it's a format that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^can be plugged in on underperforming AM stations to try to grab some new listeners. It's not a huge gamble.

And neither is Springer on WTAM.

He's on at a dead time for listeners and ratings, from 9:07 a.m. to 11:30. It's not like they're blowing up the whole station. Springer replaced conservative Glenn Beck, who moved to one of Clear Channel's smaller AM stations in Akron. Beckaholics were outraged. No less outraged than Dr. Laura disciples when she was bumped by Beck in 2001.

Despite the turnover, the three shows have one thing in common: their last half hours were and are pre-empted in Cleveland by the news and commentary of Paul Harvey, who's been on radio since at least Marconi.

Harvey's odd, punchy, typewriter-key, heartland homilies are not considered conservative, liberal or progressive. Just endless.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1111833366291511.xml

FORD
03-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Fear Channel has such a lock on the radio markets now that they can afford to allow a progressive talk radio station in most of their markets. Although, as the article says, they usually mix up the content, as opposed to a straight Air America schedule.

What's weird is if you listen on a Fear Channel affiliate and hear obviously right wing slanted commercials and "public service announcements" from the BCE itself, in between "liberal" broadcasting segments. And considering that commercials are about every 10 minutes on AM radio, even the "liberal" Fear Channel outlets end up airing a lot of conservative content.

As for Springer, I haven't heard his show yet, but I've been told it's good, and nothing like his TV show at all.

blueturk
03-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by FORD

As for Springer, I haven't heard his show yet, but I've been told it's good, and nothing like his TV show at all.

Whether Springer is good or not, that TV show is a hard thing to live down.

Rikk
03-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Big business will view any such show (Liberal or Conservative) as "product". Again, big business. I bet a ton of those marketing Moore's films are "conservative" and happily do so because they know half the time he's preaching to the converted and the companies are still making a big buck.

I'd be intrigued to hear SPRINGER's show. It'd be refreshing to hear a political talk radio show by someone that isn't full of hate and isn't afraid of change.

FORD
03-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
Whether Springer is good or not, that TV show is a hard thing to live down.

Sure it is, and I'm not suggesting Jerry should be the Presidential nominee in 2008, but I believe he has considered running for either the Senate or Governor in Ohio. And considering that election fixing bastard Blackwell is likely to be the GOP nominee, I believe Jerry could do well there.

Worst thing he ever did was pay for a hooker with a check and put some crazy trailer dwellers on TV.

Compared to what Blackwell's friends have done to this country, that's really not looking too bad.

LoungeMachine
03-27-2005, 02:16 PM
At least I wont have top listen to " Big Eddie" anymore. What a twat he is.

I love listening to Al Franken, [ except that oy, oy, oy, schtick] and once Randi gets off her hysterectomy stories and back to Tom Delay and Co. her show will be good again.

Jerry has good takes on things when he's not singing "country music" [oxymoron] or having joe thunder and katydid as guests from whatever trailer park they're renting

FORD
03-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
At least I wont have top listen to " Big Eddie" anymore. What a twat he is.

I love listening to Al Franken, [ except that oy, oy, oy, schtick] and once Randi gets off her hysterectomy stories and back to Tom Delay and Co. her show will be good again.

Jerry has good takes on things when he's not singing "country music" [oxymoron] or having joe thunder and katydid as guests from whatever trailer park they're renting

So Jerry's on the Seattle affiliate then? I can't get decent AM reception anywhere. Not at home, not in the car, and at work it's absolutely out of the question, so I get Air America by streaming directly from NYC. I used to listen to Franken in the morning, but the oy oy oy shit got old. Good to hear that Randi's back from her medical leave. I'll have to start listening again.

LoungeMachine
03-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by FORD
So Jerry's on the Seattle affiliate then? I can't get decent AM reception anywhere. Not at home, not in the car, and at work it's absolutely out of the question, so I get Air America by streaming directly from NYC. I used to listen to Franken in the morning, but the oy oy oy shit got old. Good to hear that Randi's back from her medical leave. I'll have to start listening again.

Randi's "back", but the first hour is pretty much her diatribe on her medical care:rolleyes:

I too listen on streaming, but KING AM 1090 in the car.

Remember Jim Althoff? Now he was a great host in the late 80's early 90's Met him a couple of times.

Not sure if we're getting Jerry on AM or not. Regardless, I think he'll fit in nicely.

I also love when Joe Connison [sp?] fills in or guests on AAR.

Satan
03-29-2005, 09:38 PM
No April Fool's Joke here kids.... Jerry's bad and he's about to go nationwide....

Springer liberal talk radio show to expand nationwide

3/23/2005, 7:44 p.m. ET
By LISA CORNWELL
The Associated Press

CINCINNATI (AP) — More people will be able to hear trash TV talk show host Jerry Springer pick on President Bush's plan to create private accounts for Social Security and the war in Iraq under a deal announced Wednesday to take his liberal radio program nationwide.

"I said when I started the show that I am committed to making this radio program work, not only because I enjoy it, but because we need to hear progressive voices as well as conservative voices in our conversation today," Springer said in a telephone interview from Chicago.

Springer's show will go live weekdays on the Air America Radio network beginning April 1.

The liberal all-talk radio network currently broadcasts programs on 51 radio stations and on the Sirius and XM satellite networks. Springer will be heard on about 45 of those stations initially.

Air America President Jon Sinton said the network hopes to get Springer on the remaining stations soon.

"I think Jerry expands our audience," he said. "He brings us the potential of reaching many more people."

New York-based Air America, which started up a year ago, includes comedian and liberal commentator Al Franken's show and another commentary program by Randi Rhodes.

The "Springer on the Radio" show, which began in January on WCKY-AM in Cincinnati, has expanded to other Clear Channel Radio stations in Cleveland, Detroit, Miami and San Antonio. Springer owns the syndication rights to his program and said the deal with Air America will not affect his relationship with Clear Channel.

Liberal talk radio shows have been working since last year to establish their place in an American broadcasting industry that has been dominated for years by conservative talk show hosts such as Rush Limbaugh.

Springer and others in the industry say the close outcome of the last two presidential elections shows that there are people in the country who don't share the conservative viewpoint.

"Most people haven't made up their minds on issues, and even conservatives like to hear the other side," he said.

An official with Jones Radio Network, which distributes a liberal program by host Ed Schultz to more than 80 stations, said progressive talk has revitalized AM radio.

"Any new entries in the format are welcome if they help strengthen a station's ratings," said Amy Bolton, vice president and general manager of news and talk for the Denver-based Jones Radio.

Tom Taylor, editor of Inside Radio, an industry publication, said Springer brings name recognition to liberal talk radio, but warns that it could be a double-edged recognition.

Springer's television show debuted in 1991, building its ratings on raunchy topics and featuring a lineup that includes pimps, prostitutes and skinheads.

"A lot of people know him only as the ringleader in a TV show where they throw chairs," said Taylor. "I think he is looking ahead to his legacy with his radio show. He wants people to know that he is someone who can talk about serious issues."

Some observers have seen Springer's radio show as a springboard for the Democrat's possible return to politics in 2006, either in a run for governor or a Senate seat.

Springer, 61, was elected mayor of Cincinnati in 1977 and made an unsuccessful bid for the Democratic nomination for governor of Ohio in 1982. He also worked as a television political commentator and reporter in Cincinnati.

Springer wouldn't say Wednesday whether he would run for office again.

"I am committed to making this (radio show) work now, but who knows down the road?" he said. "I want to determine where I can have the greatest influence in the political dialogue of America. One option is running for office, but the argument can be made that I could do more good for the progressive cause on radio."