Clear All
  • Ally_Kat
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Device lets you out-Fox your TV

Device lets you out-Fox your TV

By Emily Fredrix

The Associated Press

This device blocks the reception of the Fox News Channel.

It's not that Sam Kimery objects to the views expressed on Fox News Channel. The creator of the "Fox Blocker" contends the network is not news at all.

Kimery says he has sold about 100 of the little silver bits of metal that screw into the back of most televisions, allowing people to filter Fox News from their sets. The Tulsa, Okla., resident also has received thousands of e-mails, both angry and complimentary, as well as a few death threats since the device debuted in August.

"Apparently the making of terroristic threats against those who don't share your views is a high art form among a certain core audience," said Kimery, 45.

Formerly a registered Republican, even a precinct captain, Kimery became an independent in the 1990s when he said the state party stopped taking input from everyday members.

Sam Kimery is the creator of the "Fox Blocker."

Kimery now contends Fox News' top-level management dictates a conservative journalistic bias, that inaccuracies never are retracted, and what airs is more opinion than news.

"I might as well be reading tabloids out of the grocery store," he said. "Anything to get a rise out of the viewer and to reinforce certain retrograde notions."

A Fox spokeswoman at the station's New York headquarters said the channel's ratings speak for themselves. For the first three months of this year, Fox has averaged 1.62 million viewers in prime-time, compared with CNN's 805,000, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Kimery's motives go deeper than preventing people from watching the channel, which he acknowledges can be done without the Blocker. But he likens his device to burning a draft card, a tangible example of disagreement.

And he's taking this message to the network's advertisers. After buying the $8.95 device online, would-be blockers are shown a letter that they can send to advertisers via the Fox Blocker site.

"The point is not to block the channel or block free speech but to raise awareness," said Kimery, who works in the high-tech industry.

Kimery doesn't use the device; he occasionally feels the need to tune into Fox News for something "especially heinous."

Business could pick up since the blocker was alluded to in a recent episode of the ABC drama "Boston Legal." The show's original script mentioned Fox News, but ABC removed the references.

The boisterous conversations on Fox News may be why the station is so popular, said Matthew Felling, media director for the Center for Media and Public Affairs, a nonprofit, nonpartisan media watchdog group. And despite a perception that Fox leans to the right, Felling said, that doesn't mean people who lean left should tune out.

"It's tough to engage in an argument when you're not participating in it," Felling said. "It's just one more layer in the wall that the right and the left are building in between each other."

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company
    Roth Army Militia
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Already own this technology

It's called a "remote" Easy as pressing a button.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Ally_Kat
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Here's a novel idea -- change the channel. That's what remotes are for.

I don't like MTV and I don't have a problem with not watching it. There are over 1,000 other channels on my setup. No one's forcing me to watch any one of them.
      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Ally_Kat
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
        Already own this technology

It's called a "remote" Easy as pressing a button.
        damn you, posting at the same time as me and all! *shakes fist*
        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• DLR'sCock
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

Yeah, a remote is all you need, but damn that is funny!!!

The thing is, I enjoy watching FOX "news" for a good laugh now and then....

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

I love Faux News Sunday's "panel"

Good old Juan Williams shoving it right back at Hume.
            Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• steve
              Sniper
              • Feb 2004

Maury Povich needs to send Alan Colmes and Juan Williams to "Boot Camp" - teach them how to express themselves and not be cowards.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                I love Faux News Sunday's "panel"

Good old Juan Williams shoving it right back at Hume.
                You've got to be kidding. Juan is as much a lackey as they come.
                “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I like FOX NEWS, it's great comedy! Sort of like THE DAILY SHOW from the right.

And the fembot anchors are kind of nice too.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If they can market a "V-chip" to block out South Park and HBO movies, than why not a "P-chip" (for propaganda) to block out neocon bullshit?

Though as Nick says, FAUX is good for the comedic value. Hannity's standup routine last week was especially good.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Big Train
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Didn't someone post this (Like Ford) a few months back?

I think it is a good device but it should be called a tax: a tax on morons who want to pay twice for their freedom of choice..

Comment

• vanzilla
                        Veteran
                        • Jul 2004

The Daily Show has more journalistic integrity that Fox News. But I like their graphics.
                        Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Vanzilla's New "Can't Get This Stuff No More" Video Coming Soon!

Comment

• Cathedral
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

ROTFLLC, I want to see the idiots who paid $8.95 for one of these units.
                          I have 60 channels i have never seen anything on, and did all that for free, lol, this Tech Dude needs a hobby....or is this it?

Comment

• Satan
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
                            ROTFLLC, I want to see the idiots who paid $8.95 for one of these units.
                            I have 60 channels i have never seen anything on, and did all that for free, lol, this Tech Dude needs a hobby....or is this it?
                            My guess is that this guy formerly made these little cable tubes for a living. Usually they would be good to unscramble one pay TV channel or another (HBO, Showtime, etc)

But of course the cable companies are going digital which leaves him with obsolete technology. Unless he can figure out a new use for it.

Thank Hell my job can't get obsolete like that
                            Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                            I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Cathedral
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Very true, but i'm stuck with this vision in my head of some guy seeing an ad for it and saying to himself, "I gotta get me one of those" and actually GETTING one, lol.

I have tried my best to come up with something stupid that makes people flock to it like bee's to honey.
                              So far the only thing i came up with took too much time to make and didn't garner enough profit to continue.

Comment

Working...