PDA

View Full Version : Johnnie Cochran dead at 67

Bob_R
03-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Famed attorney Johnnie Cochran is dead at 67
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 Posted: 6:22 PM EST (2322 GMT)

LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- Famed attorney Johnnie Cochran, 67, perhaps best known for his defense of O.J. Simpson, died Tuesday at his home in Los Angeles.

"I loved him as a good Christian man; I look at Johnny as a great Christian," Simpson told CNN. "I knew him as that. He was a great guy."

Simpson said he last saw Cochran at an L.A. Lakers basketball game a few months ago and found the flamboyant lawyer to be in good spirits. "We were praying for him then, and I still am," Simpson said.

Simpson added that he knew Cochran long before he hired the African-American lawyer to lead his 'Dream Team' defense. "I was in social circles with Johnnie and we knew each other in that way," he said.

bueno bob
03-29-2005, 07:12 PM
OOOH GOODY! Another "Ramones Death" multiple thread mess!

WAAAH-HOOO!

FORD
03-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Superstar Lawyer Johnnie Cochran Dies
By GREG RISLING, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - Johnnie L. Cochran Jr., who became a legal superstar after helping clear O.J. Simpson during a sensational murder trial in which he uttered the famous quote "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit," died Tuesday. He was 67.

Cochran died of a brain disorder in Los Angeles, said law partner Randy McMurray.

"Certainly, Johnnie's career will be noted as one marked by celebrity cases and clientele," his family said in a statement. "But he and his family were most proud of the work he did on behalf of those in the community."

With his colorful suits and ties, his gift for courtroom oratory and a knack for coining memorable phrases, Cochran was a vivid addition to the pantheon of great American barristers.

The "if it doesn't fit" phrase would be quoted and parodied for years afterward. It derived from a dramatic moment during which Simpson tried on a pair of bloodstained "murder gloves" to show jurors they did not fit. Some legal experts called it the turning point in the trial.

Soon after, jurors found the Hall of Fame football star not guilty of the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman.

For Cochran, Simpson's acquittal was the crowning achievement in a career notable for victories, often in cases with racial themes. He was a black man known for championing the causes of black defendants. Some of them, like Simpson, were famous, but more often than not they were unknowns.

"The clients I've cared about the most are the No Js, the ones who nobody knows," said Cochran, who proudly displayed copies in his office of the multimillion-dollar checks he won for ordinary citizens who said they were abused by police.

"People in New York and Los Angeles, especially mothers in the African-American community, are more afraid of the police injuring or killing their children than they are of muggers on the corner," he once said.

By the time Simpson called, the byword in the black community for defendants facing serious charges was: "Get Johnnie."

rustoffa
03-29-2005, 08:30 PM
If the pearly gates dont fit....

You go into the pit!

LadyTudor2711
03-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Famed attorney Johnnie Cochran is dead at 67
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 Posted: 6:22 PM EST (2322 GMT)

LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- Famed attorney Johnnie Cochran, 67, perhaps best known for his defense of O.J. Simpson, died Tuesday at his home in Los Angeles.

"I loved him as a good Christian man; I look at Johnny as a great Christian," Simpson told CNN. "I knew him as that. He was a great guy."

Simpson said he last saw Cochran at an L.A. Lakers basketball game a few months ago and found the flamboyant lawyer to be in good spirits. "We were praying for him then, and I still am," Simpson said.

Simpson added that he knew Cochran long before he hired the African-American lawyer to lead his 'Dream Team' defense. "I was in social circles with Johnnie and we knew each other in that way," he said.

That is called Karma...

BW,

LT

Nickdfresh
03-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
If the pearly gates dont fit....

You go into the pit!

Now that's fucking great!
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v252/catangel89/Cat%20angel%202/scan0001.jpg

LoungeMachine
03-29-2005, 10:12 PM
My first reaction was......

You mean the "Summertime Blues" guy??

I thought he died years ago...........

I'd love to help you son, but you're too young to vote

fryingdutchman
03-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Awww..........just fucking great...

He's dead?!?!

NOW whose gonna defend the blatantly guilty and use verbal gymnastics to manipulate gullible minority jurors to win big celebrity cases?

Oh well...I guess the world now turns to Tom Mesereau....

Matt White
03-30-2005, 12:38 AM
"Johnnie Cochran dead at 67"

HEY! When they punch your ticket......"

Roguesgirl
03-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by fryingdutchman

NOW whose gonna defend the blatantly guilty and use verbal gymnastics to manipulate gullible minority jurors to win big celebrity cases?

LOL

Cathedral
03-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Hmmmm, Now Chris Rock needs a new joke...

Panamark
03-30-2005, 08:26 AM
You know what is so wrong with our legal system.
If I was to help a murderer get away with murder, by law
I would be an accomplice.

However a lawyer can do this, legally.

Is that not fucked up ?

RIP JC

Nickdfresh
03-30-2005, 08:35 AM
If the coffin don't fit, put 'em on a spit!

Honeyhunter
03-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I remember him just being so fucking smiley-wiley....now he's in HELL.

Viking
03-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Now the shameless fucker can apologize to Nicole face-to-face. Oh, wait - he got off at the southbound exit of Dirt Nap Highway.

stringfelowhawk
04-18-2005, 04:33 AM
Sad. Guess his conscience finally caught up with him and punished him for freeing a guilty man. Oh well!

Reverberator
04-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Grate Coch thread .