PDA

View Full Version : EU backs Wolfowitz as next World Bank chief

BigBadBrian
03-30-2005, 03:30 PM
EU backs Wolfowitz as next World Bank chief
By Raphael Minder in Brussels
Financial Times
Published: March 30 2005 15:00 | Last updated: March 30 2005 19:09

Paul Wolfowitz, the controversial US nominee to run the World Bank, on Wednesday promised to keep the institution “truly multinational”.
http://news.ft.com/cms/cb03c9b2-9701-11d9-9f01-00000e2511c8.jpg

Appearing before European Union governors of the World Bank, Mr Wolfowitz pledged to give the EU a regular say in the running of the world's leading development institution. But he fell short of endorsing a French proposal to have a European as his deputy.

After auditioning Mr Wolfowitz for two hours, Agnes van Ardenne, the Dutch development minister, said: “We have seen that he is very much committed to the mission of the World Bank as a multilateral institution and this removes a lot of our concerns.”

Her views were echoed by other EU officials, who also expressed optimism that Mr Wolfowitz, the intellectual architect of the war in Iraq, would be able to distance himself from the administration of George W. Bush once in his new job.

Mr Wolfowitz is expected to be officially elected on Thursday, following a vote among the 24-member executive board of the World Bank.

“I understand that I am, to put it mildly, a controversial figure,” he said. “But I hope that, as people get to know me better, they will understand that I really do believe deeply in the mission of the bank. It is a mission that is a unifying mission.”

Concerning future appointments to the bank, he added: “I intend to look for the best talent from all around the world and I look forward to having a truly multinational senior staff.”

Heidemarie Wieczorek-Zeul, the German development minister, said she had also been encouraged by Mr Wolfowitz's views on whether the bank should offer more grants as opposed to loans.

This longstanding US demand has in the past caused friction with Europeans who want the bank to retain a lending role that gives it financial independence from governments.

She said the US nominee appeared willing to maintain a “good balance” between the two financial instruments.

Armand De Decker, the development minister of Belgium, which was among the most outspoken opponents of the Iraq war, said Mr Wolfowitz had come across as “a great intellectual” and also seemed “very modest”.

Mr Wolfowitz told his EU audience that, ideally, he would have wanted an additional year to prepare for his new responsibilities at the World Bank.

Mr De Decker added: “Like anybody who is starting a new job, he will have to adapt to that job I am sure that he will adapt. It seems that he has always put the accent on efficiency and I certainly think he can bring more efficiency to development aid.”

Concerning the appointment of a new deputy to Mr Wolfowitz, a senior French official insisted on Wednesday that Paris had not formally proposed anybody for such a job.

Some reports have suggested the French government wants to put forward either Jean-Pierre Jouyet, the head of the Paris Club of creditor nations, or Jean-Pierre Landau, a former director of the International Monetary Fund and the author of a French report on a possible international tax to fund development aid.

“What we really want is not a French nominee but a strong European presence at the bank,” the official said.

FORD
03-30-2005, 05:14 PM
And this is how the Antichrist will build his worldwide cashless economy.....

Dr. Love
03-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Dude, that sounds sweet. What's that going to entail?

Jesterstar
03-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by FORD
And this is how the Antichrist will build his worldwide cashless economy.....

We the people need to come up with our own form of currency and stop using theirs.

Seshmeister
03-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Bush has sent a guy that hates the UN to the UN and a guy that hates the Third World to run the World bank.

Unbelievable.

FORD
03-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
Dude, that sounds sweet. What's that going to entail?

15And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

16And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Doesn't sound so sweet now, does it? :(

Seshmeister
03-30-2005, 05:25 PM
I quite liked that album at the time.

I grew out of it though...

Jesterstar
03-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Bush has sent a guy that hates the UN to the UN and a guy that hates the Third World to run the World bank.

Unbelievable.

It's Unbeleiveable that everyone isn't tuned into the fact that there is a Heiarchy of eleite fucks running the planet in the ground.

Dr. Love
03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Eh, sounds like credit cards to me.

Fuck that.