PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP experts, need help

kentuckyklira
03-31-2005, 05:40 AM
A friend gave me his PC. It has windows xp on it. No pc Iīve ever had ran as slowly as this one. Checked out the task manager and noticed itīs filled to the brim. The cpu is on 100% most of the time. I checked out "answers that work.com" and couldnīt even find half of the stuff thatīs running on that pc.

Is there any easy way to make win xp start with a minimum of tasks running?

Thanks a lot!

saint
03-31-2005, 06:44 AM
Click on Start, then Run. In the Run dialog box type "msconfig" and press enter to start the MSCONFIG utility. MSCONFIG offers a variety of options and settings you can use to selectively enable or disable certain programs or services to try and troubleshoot and narrow down problems you might be having. You can view the contents of the System.ini, Win.ini and Boot.ini files and check or uncheck the items you want to start. You can also uncheck services or programs that startup when Windows loads if you don't want them to start.

flappo
03-31-2005, 06:48 AM
fuck windoze xp up it's shitty ass

this is my forum and it's macs only from now on

:)

flappo
03-31-2005, 06:50 AM
hahah , fookin grate

so this is wot power feels like , eh ?

JAVOLD !

hey bill , if yer reading this

KISS MY ASS !!!

flappo
03-31-2005, 06:51 AM
nah , i'll open it again

ain't his fault he's got a pc is it

:D

Full Bug
03-31-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by flappo
hahah , fookin grate
so this is wot power feels like , eh ?

Flapps wont last 2 months running this forum....:D
I can see a Donald Trump already...."Your Fired!"

Hardrock69
03-31-2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah..go to Start>>>Run>> type in msconfig. Then go to the startup tab, uncheck ALL of the items.

If he gave this comp to ya, he is not going to worry about you changing settings.

Besides, any program that is on that machine can be started by clicking on it's icon. It is not necessary to let stuff start automatically.

It is also possible it is infected with a virus or Trojan. Have you run antivirus and/or adware scans yet?

If not get two programs: AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, and run them. They will find any adware/spyware on your machine and will allow you to delete them.

If you find there is stuff in your Task manager that will not allow you to turn it off, or if you kill a process that is running, and as soon as you do another process starts up (especially a process with random numbers & letters like fer instance Plg78sd.exe) then you have got a virus or a trojan on your machine.

Hope this info helps.

pete
03-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Well said - He covered it all

Full Bug
03-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Another great program to have...
http://www.free-av.com
This thing works great, scans everything while you are on the computer, runs in the backround, great for finding trojan horses, ect....

Hardrock69
03-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Just beware of some programs like Spyware Doctor...when you install the trial version they will tell you you have like 90-something adware/spyware/virus/trojan items on your machine, when in fact you have none, just to get you to buy their stupid program.

Full Bug
03-31-2005, 01:38 PM
There is enough free programs out there that are effective, no need for trial programs....

kentuckyklira
04-01-2005, 03:24 AM
Thanks guys!

flappo
04-01-2005, 03:54 AM
ok , closing this as it's apple fools day

pcs suck , macs rule

nuff fucking said