PDA

View Full Version : Alice Cooper

bueno bob
03-31-2005, 04:44 PM
New ALICE COOPER Album A Return To Creepy Classics [Rock Hard - 05.03.31 15:14:36]

Rolling Stone (www.rollingstone.com) has issued the following report from Dan Leroy:

How serious is ALICE COOPER about making his upcoming release a "pure Alice album"? Here's a hint: The godfather of shock rock has decided to bring the guillotine back to his stage show.

So expect heads to roll once again when Cooper's Dirty Diamonds debuts this June. This isn't a concept album, like recent outings Brutal Planet and Dragontown. Instead, Cooper says, he took a suggestion from his old producer Bob Ezrin, who helmed such Cooper classics as Killer and School's Out.

"One of the things Bob said was, 'If you're just gonna do twelve songs, how about twelve great songs -- no filler? If I hear filler on your album, I'll personally come beat you to death with a hammer,'" explains a chuckling Cooper, who says he's bounced ideas off Ezrin throughout his career.

"He expects the best out of me," Cooper adds. "So I refused to write a song that you can't sit down at a piano and play -- the verse, the chorus and the B-section."

Dirty Diamonds was actually overseen by Steve Lindsey, who co-produced Cooper's 2004 duet with rapper Xzibit ‘Stand’ (off the official Olympics Games album, Unity) and has worked with Elton John, Luther Vandross and Leonard Cohen.

Cooper describes the title track of Dirty Diamonds as an "epic" similar to his multilayered 1971 song ‘Halo of Flies’. "I tried to make it as cinematic as possible -- so it's definitely got a little bit of a John Barry-ish, James Bond-ish thing," he says. "I think if this song had come out five months earlier, it would've been in the movie Sin City, because it has that kind of mentality to it."

Another new tune is ‘The Saga Of Jesse Jane’, the tale of a cross-dressing truck driver. "There's always three or four pretty funny songs," Cooper says, "and a couple of great ballads. But we pride ourselves on the rock & roll."

Cooper is preparing to debut his new live show, the Dirty Diamonds Revue, in Australia and Europe this summer, with KISS drummer Eric Singer part of the band once again. According to Cooper, the tour -- which will feature "a lot of classic hits, a couple of pretty good stage tricks and a full-out production" -- should make its way to the U.S. by September.

While he made headlines last year by calling artists who campaigned for Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry "morons," Cooper says he doesn't begrudge activist rockers their say.

"You're American, you get to do that," he says. "And now if you live in Baghdad, you get to do that, too."

You know, I haven't paid all that much attention to Alice since, oh, 1987 or so, but this might actually be promising. Should be interesting to see what comes of it.

blueturk
03-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Alice Cooper is the definition of the word "sell-out". He (and manager Shep Gordon ) fucked over the original band, who were also Cooper's high school buddies. They basically took the name and ran.Alice Cooper turned into Alice Manilow and the original band faded into obscurity.
It's just my opinion, but I think Cooper's an asshole. And for him to think that any of his new material will even come close to "Halo Of Flies" or anything else from 1971 to 1973 is wishful thinking. Just the kind of thing Rolling Stone would print.

David Lee Rocks
03-31-2005, 10:20 PM
yeah, and isnt Alice Cooper supposed to be a "christian" now? yah Alice sure, he has turned into a moron himself with all his christian babbling bullshit

Bill Lumbergh
04-01-2005, 02:31 AM
Sell out or not, pick up "Brutal Planet".

blueturk
04-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Sell out or not, pick up "Brutal Planet".

Why?

Panamark
04-02-2005, 01:24 AM
blueturk, was "Welcome to my Nightmare" the original crew ??

Sorry if I already asked you this in another thread..
(I think I posted this question somewhere else)

blueturk
04-02-2005, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
blueturk, was "Welcome to my Nightmare" the original crew ??

Sorry if I already asked you this in another thread..
(I think I posted this question somewhere else)

WTMN was the first album without the original band, although the group wasn't officially told they were unemployed until after it's release.

Bill Lumbergh
04-02-2005, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by blueturk
Why?

Ok, don't.

stilleddiesangel
04-02-2005, 07:14 AM
I have tickets to see Alice, I'll let you know what it was like.

Panamark
04-02-2005, 08:19 AM
WTMN was the first album without the original band, although the group wasn't officially told they were unemployed until after it's release.

Thanks ! I wasnt sure but was thinking it was either the last album with them, or the first without. So it was the first without. Hate to
say this, but its a cool album.

Panamark
04-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by stilleddiesangel
I have tickets to see Alice, I'll let you know what it was like.

He is playing in Oz soon too... His last tour didnt go down very well.

blueturk
04-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Thanks ! I wasnt sure but was thinking it was either the last album with them, or the first without. So it was the first without. Hate to
say this, but its a cool album.

You're right, it isn't bad at all. The band that he had on WTMN with Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter on guitars was great, and there are some good songs on there. And at the time, "Only Women Bleed" seemed like a mere change of pace, not a precurser to housewife Muzak like "You And Me", "I Never Cry", and "How You Gonna See Me Now". Also, the details of how Alice and Shep screwed the old band weren't really known at the time. Alice and Shep's strategy of keeping the band in the background worked to perfection, and I think the majority of the public (especially the younger generation) still give most of the credit to Alice Cooper (the singer) for the the great songs like "18", "School's Out", "No More Mr. Nice Guy", "Be My Lover" and others, even though the original band (especially Michael Bruce) co-wrote everything on the pre-WTMN albums. It doesn't help that Cooper rarely acknowledges the fact that Alice Cooper was really a band, not a singer. Lke I said, an asshole.

Panamark
04-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Sounds like the Van Halens ! :)

Rebel
08-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Look at all the Cooper hating, jeez. I'm gonna go get the new album tomorrow, can't wait!

Dave's Bitch
08-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Alice Cooper is my absolute favorite of all time at the moment.I Love every alice song i've heard and i've been hearing alot over the past week.

I Cant Belive Im Going To See Him In A Few Months :D

Dave's Bitch
08-01-2005, 04:29 PM
has anyone here heard Megadeth's cover of School's Out by Alice Cooper?

Dave's Bitch
09-13-2005, 01:57 PM
im takeing over this thread

Dave's Bitch
09-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Bio time

Dave's Bitch
09-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Alice Cooper is best known internationally as the original shock rocker, and his future place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is almost a certainty. It was much more than just music that has made Alice Cooper a star.

It all began at Cortez High School in Phoenix, Arizona. Vincent Damon Furnier and four classmates from the track team formed a group called the Earwigs, and, several names later, renamed themselves the Alice Cooper Group. They were the world's first shock rockers, with many later groups inspired to adopt the concept. In 1972 Vincent legally changed his own name to Alice Cooper. Although there are different accounts of how this name was selected, I would like to believe the one that attributes his choice to the fact that the name conjures up images of a sweet looking girl hiding a hatchet behind her back.

A new era in rock 'n' roll was born. In an interview with The Tribune, Cooper said "We brought theatrics to rock 'n' roll. We did it before Bowie, we did it before Kiss and before anybody. There was no show biz in rock 'n' roll before Alice Cooper. It was taboo and really looked down upon to call yourself showbiz. So when we came along, we went as far out on a limb as we possibly could. We did everything we could to annoy every parent in America, then backed it up with anthems that got played. We had 25 gold albums and sold 50 million records; it wasn't a fluke."

Cooper realized that times were changing; people weren't as shocked as before. With the influence and pervasiveness of the media, the violence of our real-life society killed shock. So Cooper adapted. He focused his shows on entertainment with his gruesome make-up, a boa constrictor around his neck and an unhealthy dose of fake blood. Although his humor was very dark, he claims his performances always were based on humor. And at the finale of every performance the star of the show got just what he deserved: decapitation or some other sadistic end. Although he has respect for artists like Marilyn Manson, he believes that Manson might take things a bit too seriously, and the Manson audience feels a bit shameful when all is said and done. But no matter what happens on Alice Cooper's stage, or what evil story the lyrics tell, Cooper believes his job is to entertain his audience and to leave the people feeling good--to make them feel like they were "at the greatest party they were ever at in their lives." As noted by Antony John at his website dedicated to the rocker, "Alice Cooper does not just give concerts; he creates shock-rock events that mesmerize, enchant, and torture audiences around the world."

Alice Cooper is still recording. Cooper, now in his fifties, still commands sold out concert crowds. He's had more than 25 albums since 1969. Dragontown was released in 2001.

Dave's Bitch
09-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Vincent Furnier became a Phoenician (a Phoenix resident) when he was 10 years old. He was a sickly child, and his family moved to Phoenix to help rid him of his bronchial asthma. He attended Squaw Peak Elementary and Madison No. 2 before beginning high school at Cortez, where he lettered in track for four straight years.

Although it has been many years since he changed his name to Alice Cooper, he is not solely defined by his trend-setting brand of rock 'n' roll. He has been married to the same woman, Sheryl, for more than 20 years. He has three children: Calico, Dashiell, and Sonora Rose. He is serious about his onstage career, but even more serious about his role as a husband and father. A Little League baseball and soccer coach, he is actively involved in being a dad.

Alice Cooper has other passions, too.

One of them is the Solid Rock Foundation, which he describes as a Christian nonprofit organization to help inner city kids stay out of gangs and away from guns and drugs. His foundation raises up to $150,000 each year to benefit this cause. And then there's the other passion: golf. Alice is a popular and familiar sight at Pro-Am and benefit golf tournaments. He hosts his own charity golf tournament in Phoenix each April. When asked how he became involved in golf, Cooper describes a period in his life when all he did all day was drink and sit around hotel rooms with nothing to do. One day, his road manager convinced him to try golf and apparently he was a natural. With about a 4 handicap, he has had a few holes-in-one, and a few double eagles, of which he is very proud.

If you are trying to spot Alice Cooper around town, the best places are either Little League baseball games or the golf courses.

And one last thing about Alice Cooper, the Phoenician. When he is not on stage, he is actually an absolute Mr. Nice Guy. Everyone says so.

Dave's Bitch
09-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Ladies Man (1969)

Pretties For You (1969)

Easy Action (1970)

Love It To Death (1971)

Killer (1972)

School's Out (1972)

Billion Dollar Babies (1973)

Greatest Hits (1974)

Welcome To My Nightmare (1975)

Alice Cooper Goes To Hell (1976)

Lace & Whiskey (1977)

Live: Alice Cooper Show (1977)

From The Inside (1978)

Flush The Fashion (1980)

Zipper Catches Skin (1982)

Constrictor (1986)

Raise Your Fist and Yell (1987)

Prince of Darkness (1989)

Trash (1989)

Hey Stoopid (1991)

The Last Temptation (1994)

Classicks (1995)

Freak Out (1995)

A Fistful of Alice (1997)

A Nice Nightmare (1997)

Beast of Alice Cooper (1998)

Freedom for Frankenstein (1998)

Muscle of Love (1998)

Special Forces (1999)

Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper (1999)

Brutal Planet (2000)

Dragontown (2001)

Live: The Toronto Rock & Roll Revival (2001)

Poison (2003)

Dave's Bitch
09-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Alice Cooper is the MAN

Dirty Duck
09-13-2005, 03:32 PM
I fucking love the Coop. Next to classic VH I grew up with Alice and still thinks he kicks ass. I have all his stuff except the new cd this thread is about. Cool rock title. Gotta get it. Glad he's back. Rock on alice!!

Mr. Vengeance
09-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Blue Turk has a hate on for Alice, because somehow he's convinced that Alice screwed over the rest of the original band....

Just get over it.

Bill Lumbergh
09-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Blue Turk has a hate on for Alice, because somehow he's convinced that Alice screwed over the rest of the original band....

Just get over it.

The story I've consistently heard is that the others wanted to pursue solo career's(and Glen Buxton was wasted outta his mind).

Matt White
09-13-2005, 07:55 PM
To each there own...

Haven't liked The Coop since the original band was dumped......

Unchainme
09-13-2005, 08:24 PM
I listend to his Radio show one time, (We can't get it over here Unfortunately.) He was Fucking classic, It kicked ass, He played a rarely played on the radio Floyd song, and then talked about Vampires in Wisconsin, I hope he gets his show over in cleveland.

vheddyrmv8
09-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Alice Cooper is the definition of the word "sell-out". He (and manager Shep Gordon ) fucked over the original band, who were also Cooper's high school buddies. They basically took the name and ran.Alice Cooper turned into Alice Manilow and the original band faded into obscurity.
It's just my opinion, but I think Cooper's an asshole. And for him to think that any of his new material will even come close to "Halo Of Flies" or anything else from 1971 to 1973 is wishful thinking. Just the kind of thing Rolling Stone would print.

Damn that bush is huuuuuge!

Unchainme
09-13-2005, 09:27 PM
Also I listend for A sec To Dee Snider's House Of Hair, That was auctually quit good, He played Some Ratt that usually doesn't get a lot radio play. I think he plays everything From Metallica To Poison, Rockstars who have their own Radioshow KICKASS.

BITEYOASS
09-14-2005, 05:55 PM

Hey, does anyone have a picture of the old Alice Cooper band pouring champagne over a woman's huge tits? LOL

blueturk
09-14-2005, 07:04 PM

Just get over it.

Dammit man! I posted my remarks about The Hollywood Square in this thread on March 31st! Hell yes, I'm convinced Cooper screwed over the band...and you're convinced he didn't. Like Matt White said, to each his own. I think YOU need to get over it.

blueturk
09-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
Ladies Man (1969)

Pretties For You (1969)

Easy Action (1970)

Love It To Death (1971)

Killer (1972)

School's Out (1972)

Billion Dollar Babies (1973)

Greatest Hits (1974)

Welcome To My Nightmare (1975)

Alice Cooper Goes To Hell (1976)

Lace & Whiskey (1977)

Live: Alice Cooper Show (1977)

From The Inside (1978)

Flush The Fashion (1980)

Zipper Catches Skin (1982)

Constrictor (1986)

Raise Your Fist and Yell (1987)

Prince of Darkness (1989)

Trash (1989)

Hey Stoopid (1991)

The Last Temptation (1994)

Classicks (1995)

Freak Out (1995)

A Fistful of Alice (1997)

A Nice Nightmare (1997)

Beast of Alice Cooper (1998)

Freedom for Frankenstein (1998)

Muscle of Love (1998)

Special Forces (1999)

Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper (1999)

Brutal Planet (2000)

Dragontown (2001)

Live: The Toronto Rock & Roll Revival (2001)

Poison (2003)

"Ladies Man" and "Freak Out" are identical. They are both bootlegs from The Toronto Peace Festival in 1969, with two studio tracks (Goin' To The River" and "Just Like A Woman") by an unknown band.

Mr. Vengeance
09-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Dammit man! I posted my remarks about The Hollywood Square in this thread on March 31st! Hell yes, I'm convinced Cooper screwed over the band...and you're convinced he didn't. Like Matt White said, to each his own. I think YOU need to get over it.

There's nothing for me to get over...I actually love the Coop from the 60's to the modern day. I'm not concerned why the original band broke up, although I'd love to have seen them reunite, before the death ended that dream.

Mr. Vengeance
09-14-2005, 07:37 PM
By the way, as long as we're talking about how the poor band got screwed, check out what Michael Bruce has been doing to everyone under the sun it appears. It's pretty bad when your ex-manager rips you a new asshole on a website with your name as the domain....

http://www.michaelbruce.com/index031108cop.htm

blueturk
09-14-2005, 08:13 PM
By the way, as long as we're talking about how the poor band got screwed, check out what Michael Bruce has been doing to everyone under the sun it appears. It's pretty bad when your ex-manager rips you a new asshole on a website with your name as the domain....

http://www.michaelbruce.com/index031108cop.htm

I agree, although that's old news. Bruce came to this neck of the woods back in 1995 to play a show and I had the misfortune of meeting him through a record dealer who also helped him out quite a bit. A very bitter individual. Although I would probably be bitter too, it's no excuse for turning into a crackhead (as far as I could tell) who uses anyone he can for anything he can. Be that as it may, my OPINION is that the band got a raw deal.

Mr. Vengeance
09-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Here's some news regarding the release of the little-seen classic Alice Cooper Band movie:

The following press release regards the ALICE COOPER film, Good To See You Again, Alice Cooper. Good To See You Again, Alice Cooper is one of the great lost rock films. The movie, which captures the original band lineup in themiddle of the legendary 1973 Billion Dollar Babies tour, has neverbefore been available on home video or DVD. Shout! Factory is proud to present the original cut of the film (including skits featuring the band) which was given a very limited theatrical run-mostly at midnight screenings-in the mid-'70s. This is the early cut, predating the Holywood version. Now available for the first time since the theatrical release, Good To See You Again, Alice Cooper boasts a new high-definition film transfer as well as a new Surround Sound mix created from the 16-track master tapes, plus a multitude of extras, including movie-length commentary by Alice himself. "The film that out-grosses them all" - as it was originally billed-is back, looking and sounding better than ever. The tracklisting is as follows: 'Hello, Hooray', 'Billion Dollar Babies', 'Elected', 'I'm Eighteen', 'Raped And Freezin'', 'No More Mr. Nice Guy', 'My Stars', 'Unfinished Sweet', 'Sick Things', 'Dead Babies', 'I Love The Dead', 'School's Out', 'Under My Wheels', 'The Lady Is A Tramp' (studio). Special features include: Audio Commentary by Alice Cooper; Anamorphic Widescreen & 5.1 Surround Sound; "Play concert only" viewing option; Original Theatrical Trailer and Radio Spots; Deleted Scene and Outtakes; Easter Eggs; Poster Gallery with Original Promotional Material; Band Biographies. The release date for the DVD is now November 8th, 2005.

blueturk
09-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Here's some news regarding the release of the little-seen classic Alice Cooper Band movie:

The following press release regards the ALICE COOPER film, Good To See You Again, Alice Cooper. Good To See You Again, Alice Cooper is one of the great lost rock films. The movie, which captures the original band lineup in themiddle of the legendary 1973 Billion Dollar Babies tour, has neverbefore been available on home video or DVD. Shout! Factory is proud to present the original cut of the film (including skits featuring the band) which was given a very limited theatrical run-mostly at midnight screenings-in the mid-'70s. This is the early cut, predating the Holywood version. Now available for the first time since the theatrical release, Good To See You Again, Alice Cooper boasts a new high-definition film transfer as well as a new Surround Sound mix created from the 16-track master tapes, plus a multitude of extras, including movie-length commentary by Alice himself. "The film that out-grosses them all" - as it was originally billed-is back, looking and sounding better than ever. The tracklisting is as follows: 'Hello, Hooray', 'Billion Dollar Babies', 'Elected', 'I'm Eighteen', 'Raped And Freezin'', 'No More Mr. Nice Guy', 'My Stars', 'Unfinished Sweet', 'Sick Things', 'Dead Babies', 'I Love The Dead', 'School's Out', 'Under My Wheels', 'The Lady Is A Tramp' (studio). Special features include: Audio Commentary by Alice Cooper; Anamorphic Widescreen & 5.1 Surround Sound; "Play concert only" viewing option; Original Theatrical Trailer and Radio Spots; Deleted Scene and Outtakes; Easter Eggs; Poster Gallery with Original Promotional Material; Band Biographies. The release date for the DVD is now November 8th, 2005.

It's about time! Rhino had plans to release the movie but that must have fallen apart. I pre-ordered it from VH1 but finally gave up after about 6 or 7 months and told them to forget it...

Rebel
10-06-2005, 03:39 PM
bump

VonHalen
10-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
has anyone here heard Megadeth's cover of School's Out by Alice Cooper?

Yes, i have it on hidden treasures, dave did a nice job

Rebel
10-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Well, had it for awhile and listened to it quite a few times, and Dirty Diamonds just doesn't do it for me. It isn't anywhere on the level of Eyes IMO. It's not bad, just doesn't do it for me. Steal that Car is an awesome song for sure though.