PDA

View Full Version : Go, Gov. Blagojevish!!!

academic punk
04-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey, in the first place, how did someone with a name like "Blagojevish" get elected in the first place???!

Illinois governor: No delays in birth control prescriptions

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/01/birth.control.governor.ap/index.html

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Gov. Rod Blagojevich approved an emergency rule Friday requiring pharmacies to fill birth control prescriptions quickly after a Chicago pharmacist refused to fill an order because of moral opposition to the drug.

The emergency rule takes effect immediately for 150 days while the administration seeks a permanent rule.

"Our regulation says that if a woman goes to a pharmacy with a prescription for birth control, the pharmacy or the pharmacist is not allowed to discriminate or to choose who he sells it to," Blagojevich said. "No delays. No hassles. No lectures."

Under the new rule, if a pharmacist does not fill the prescription because of a moral objection, another pharmacist must be available to fill it without delay.

The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation has also filed a formal complaint against the Chicago Osco pharmacy for the February 23 incident.

The pharmacy was cited for "failing to provide appropriate pharmaceutical care to a patient." Penalties could include a fine, reprimand or revocation of the pharmacy's license.

An Osco spokeswoman did not immediately return a call Friday.

Steve Trombley, CEO for Planned Parenthood in Chicago, praised the state's efforts.

"When medical professionals write prescriptions for their patients, they are acting in their patients' best interests," Trombley said. "A pharmacist's personal views cannot intrude on the relationship between a woman and her doctor."

The Chicago pharmacist was not the first to attract attention for refusing to fill a birth control prescription.

In February, a judge recommended that a Roman Catholic pharmacist in Wisconsin be reprimanded and required to attend ethics classes after the pharmacist blocked a woman's attempt to fill a prescription for birth control pills in 2002.

FORD
04-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Could one of our Catholic friends please explain this to me.....

If the argument against abortion is that "life begins at conception", then what is wrong with preventing conception in the first place, and thereby ensuring that a life is never ended in such a manner?

If the Catholic Church wants to reduce the number of abortions (and what rational human being wouldn't?) then why do they encourage the creation of life which will be ended in this manner? Would it not be better to prevent conception from occurring in the first place?

academic punk
04-01-2005, 09:32 PM
The Church considers conception to begin from the moment the man begins to attempt to unhook the woman's bra strap.

or, as monty python (or was it MAD magazine..?) so pithily put it:

Every sperm is sacred
Every sperm is great
If a single sperm is wasted
God gets quite irate!

(This is also the primary argument against the Jeff Gannon's (or whatever his real name is) of the world)

Nickdfresh
04-02-2005, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Could one of our Catholic friends please explain this to me.....

If the argument against abortion is that "life begins at conception", then what is wrong with preventing conception in the first place, and thereby ensuring that a life is never ended in such a manner?

If the Catholic Church wants to reduce the number of abortions (and what rational human being wouldn't?) then why do they encourage the creation of life which will be ended in this manner? Would it not be better to prevent conception from occurring in the first place?

I'm Catholic (technically speaking), and I am at a complete loss. "We HATE abortions, but no birth-control for you!"

By the way, I heard on NPR this week that teenage kids raised Catholic tend to have the most premarital sex! This comes from a recent study on teens and religion. Very upsetting indeed. And my parents wonder why I don't go to church anymore.

Nickdfresh
04-02-2005, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by academic punk
The Church considers conception to begin from the moment the man begins to attempt to unhook the woman's bra strap.

or, as monty python (or was it MAD magazine..?) so pithily put it:

Every sperm is sacred
Every sperm is great
If a single sperm is wasted
God gets quite irate!

(This is also the primary argument against the Jeff Gannon's (or whatever his real name is) of the world)

We've got another Catholic!:D
http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/pages/eiga/MO/Previews/Plans-37624.jpg

4moreyears
04-02-2005, 09:52 AM

WOW I actually agree with FORD.