PDA

View Full Version : 83' Us Festival

bigbadbill
02-24-2004, 01:05 AM
HEY! guys I'm looking for an audio recording of VH at the US FESTIVAL.

SilvioDante
02-24-2004, 11:18 AM
I have an .avi video verson of it...

Cato
02-25-2004, 05:44 AM
I'm looking for an audio of Dave's fart...

Eyes of the Night
02-25-2004, 07:27 AM
USFest is way overated IMHO ... you need to get a hold of the argentina 83' audio! That's some do dah there ...

Big Troubles
02-25-2004, 07:39 AM
yeah I always found US Fest. to be a mixed bag. Good performance, but Dave was soooo wasted it kinda blurred his style of entertaining.
Audio was weak too. Argentina was a good show. And somehwhere on this big ol' net is a show in Rio from 81 that was off the hook.
Montreal boot from '84 was good too.

Eyes of the Night
02-25-2004, 07:45 AM
Montreal 84' was "tight"! ... 81' Rio? You must post a song from that one dude ... I never heard of Rio before!

:gulp:

Fairwrning
02-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Eyes
USFest is way overated IMHO ... you need to get a hold of the argentina 83' audio! That's some do dah there ...

agreed...Argentina was a much better performed show...i have it on dvd and watch it often..Dave actually sings alot of the lyrics on this one...GREAT version of " little dreamer"..my personal fave..

Big Troubles
02-25-2004, 07:01 PM
dont have any tunes from the rio concert. it was actualy from '83 and it was a smooth concert. Nice and clear. Buddy went and taped it on cassette. (which has since been chewed)
Montreal 84' was "tight"! ... 81' Rio? You must post a song from that one dude ... I never heard of Rio before!

:gulp:

Lou
02-25-2004, 08:48 PM

Is there an audio boot of that show? I thought there was just the DVD bootleg.

pete
02-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by SilvioDante
I have an .avi video verson of it...

thanks for sharing paison!

pete
02-25-2004, 09:27 PM

"OOOOOWWWW Baby"
-barry white

Lou
02-25-2004, 09:53 PM
BTW when people hype up the US Fest, it's not so much for the performance. It's just the whole atmosphere of it and the Daveisms, and the fact the crowd was 200,000 strong, the excitement going through the air that weekend. It's as if at that precise point Van Halen became king of the rock and roll world. To listen or watch that show is more about re-living all of that rather than hearing an A+ performance.

For all you Led-heads out there I find it comparable to the three MSG concerts at the end of July 1973. Not the best performances, at the end of a tour (like VH was here), but just legendary nonetheless.

Top Jimmy
02-26-2004, 07:06 PM
I have vid of usfest, AND argentina....but the one that REALLY kicks ass is the video from Baltimore 1982...the tightest, best all around Live VH video I've ever seen.
Argentina is great, and the show was better....but the cameraman either had a hard on for Mikey, or was WAAAAY pissed at ol' Edward....'cause there is hardly any concentrated footage of EVH on the vid. When Ed is soloing...most of the time you're looking at Mikey. It's funny up until about the 3-4 songs...and by then it gets irritating.....
On the Baltimore show (which was right after Dave's b-day) his voice is on, he remembers most all his lines....the banter from Dave is smooth, and he doesn't seem fucked up at all...but at the same time.....awww FUCKKKIT....get the vid...you'll see...I don't know why people think Argentina is so great...the Baltimore show blows them all away....
I also don't care much for ANY of the 1984 boots...by then the band and it's image were bloated and laboring (not physically...but you know what i mean), and miserable. You can tell....they don't have hardly ANY eye contact onstage...no smiles....

Lou
02-26-2004, 10:25 PM
I have Largo '82 on VHS and yes it is a fantastic concert. Typical 1982 setlist, but the performance was just right on, the crowd was great and Dave knew it. He even acknowledges the crowd at the end for their energy and enthusiasm.

ian_doherty
02-26-2004, 11:36 PM
i have video of the '83 us fest if you want it..

classicvanhalen has stuff too .

DLR7884
02-28-2004, 01:32 PM
My brother was at the '82 Largo show at the old Capital Center.

DLR7884
He said it was one of the best shows he's ever seen by any band, ever.

philouze
03-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Still. Can anyone post a soundboard recording of the US Fest 83 instead of the audience recording ???

Full Bug
03-08-2004, 03:26 PM
I gotta get my hands on the largo VHS show, its really the only one I dont have yet that I really want to get, keep hearing about it all the time.....

Mr Walker
03-08-2004, 04:23 PM
If you can get it... Sinclair's DVD of the Largo '82 show is the best one available.
He did a bang up job on fixing it up real nice.

And as far as the US Festival goes, I agree with Lou and his comments.
I always figured alot of EVH fans bashed the US Festival show because right before the encore, there are 200,000 people chanting...

ROTH!!! ROTH!!! ROTH!!! ROTH!!!!

That's a vibe that can't be found on the other shows that have been discussed.

FORD
03-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Mr Walker
If you can get it... Sinclair's DVD of the Largo '82 show is the best one available.
He did a bang up job on fixing it up real nice.

And as far as the US Festival goes, I agree with Lou and his comments.
I always figured alot of EVH fans bashed the US Festival show because right before the encore, there are 200,000 people chanting...

ROTH!!! ROTH!!! ROTH!!! ROTH!!!!

That's a vibe that can't be found on the other shows that have been discussed.

Not only that, but the sheep always say "Roth was drunk and fucked up the entire show".

Bullshit.

The whole damn band was drunk, and they all fucked up notes, harmonies, drumbeats, etc.

And you know what? The 300,000 people who saw the whole thing live LOVED IT.

It wasn't their greatest musical performance ever, but who gives a rat's ass. This wasn't a typical gig, it was a fucking party. And nobody parties better than Van HALEN :cool:

Lou
03-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Best thing you can do for DVD's is to contact PanicBoy over at vhtrading.com ...he is an excellent trader and is willing to do 2 for 1's.