PDA

View Full Version : Jason Beckers Guitar

DLR ROCKS
04-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Hey Guys any idea what axe Jason Becker used back in the day? Im a huge fan and am die ing to know the answer to this question.

Thanks everybody

Amith

Nitro Express
04-04-2005, 08:54 PM
I think his website Jasonbecker.com has the details on that. I know he played Carvins for awhile.

Nitro Express
04-04-2005, 09:04 PM
This is off of Jasons website, below where he talks about his equipment he had some interesting things to say about Eddie Van Halen so I included that.

BECKER
Guitars I used were either Hurricane, Carvin, Peavey, Fender, Ibanez or Yamaha classical electric. For amps I used either a Fender M-80 practice amp, 100-watt Marshall, 100-watt Carvin or ADA preamp, or I just went direct to four-track. With the Marshall or Carvin, I usually used one of those little yellow Boss Super OverDrive pedals. With everything else I usually used an Alesis Quadraverb. Twenty of the songs I recorded onto a Tascam four-track cassette recorder; for the others I used a Tascam eight-track cassette recorder.

GW
Tell us about some of the future projects that you're involved in - particularly the upcoming re-release of Perspective and your collaboration with Eddie Van Halen. Eddie's been very supportive of you, correct?

JASON
I first met Eddie in September 1996, just a few months before I got my breathing tube, so I was having a very hard time breathing. Someone had asked him if he would do a spot for the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon with me. He agreed, but only if he could do everything at my house. So he came up, gave me one of his guitars, jammed for a while, talked about Perspective and a couple of licks from A Little Ain't Enough [David Lee Roth's 1991 solo album], and we filmed in our backyard. He was so human and truly understanding. He kissed and hugged me a lot, really putting himself in my shoes. He guaranteed that Perspective would be on Warner Bros. and made it happen. Since then, we have kept in touch, and he has done everything would imagine he could do for a family with ALS.

jojo2371
04-05-2005, 04:49 PM
wow never knew that ,has anyone seen the video with ed that jason is talking about ?

GAR
04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
I recall him playing Ibanez and Peavey early on, then later in the 80's he got an endorsement with Carvin.

nosuchluck
04-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Jackson Guitars was working on a Jason Becker signature series, but they scrapped the idea eventually.

Nitro Express
04-06-2005, 02:44 AM
Is Carvin stuff any good? I used to get a catalog from them for some reason but I never ordered anything.

jojo2371
04-06-2005, 02:25 PM
never played a carvin guitar ,they r mostly ordered to your specs,so u rarely see one in a music store ,but i have played the carvin nomad amp and it was pretty sweet ,killer tube tone !!!!!!!111

Nitro Express
04-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I saw the G3 tour and I thought Steve Vai was getting a good sound with his Carvin amps. The guy in his band with the Carvin guitar sounded really thin though. Maybe that's why Steve still uses his Ibanez. Joe Satriani was using Peavey XXX amps and I think it ruined his sound. Too much saturation.

Too be honest though. Yngwie sounded the best using good old Marshall gear.

nosuchluck
04-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Allan Holdsworth uses Carvin guitars.
but then again, i'm sure he'll sound just as awesome on any guitar....

Nitro Express
04-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Eddie Van Halen use to talk a lot about Holdsworth and said Alan was the shit. You know, I still to this day haven't listened to Alan Holdsworth but I've heard a lot of killer players say they wish they could play as good as him.

nosuchluck
04-07-2005, 04:52 AM
Holdsworth is absolutely brilliant. his legato is definitely the best i've ever heard.
his music is an acquired taste though. weird phrases and chords... its brilliant nonetheless.