PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jennings diagnosed with lung cancer

FORD
04-05-2005, 12:52 PM
April 5, 2005, 11:08AM

Peter Jennings diagnosed with lung cancer

By MIKE McDANIEL
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Peter Jennings, sole anchor of ABC News since 1983, told colleagues and friends in an e-mail today that he has lung cancer.

"As you all know, this is a challenge,'' Jennings wrote. "I begin chemo-therapy next week. I will continue to do the broadcast. There will be good days and bad, which means that some days I may be cranky and some days really cranky!''

"He will begin outpatient treatment next week here in New York,'' said ABC News executive David Westin. "It's both Peter's and my expectation that he will anchor World News Tonight during the period of treatment to the extent he can do so comfortably; but, we should also expect him to be off the broadcast from time to time, depending on how he feels.''

Jennings, 66, has been feeling ill for the past several months and was replaced Saturday on coverage of the pope's death by anchor Charles Woodruff. He last anchored World News Tonight on Friday.

Charles Gibson, who's in Rome for the pope's funeral, and Elizabeth Vargas will be Jennings' primary substitutes on the evening news.

Jennings first anchored ABC's evening newscast for two years in the 1960s, and was a Europe-based correspondent for the network after that. He started again as an anchor as ABC tried a multi-anchor format starting in 1978, then took over the broadcast himself in 1983.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

steve
04-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Chemo is a bitch.
He should take a load off, sit down in a chair, and perhaps just read the news off a teleprompter for a while as his energy will be low.
No more heavy investigative journalism.

Nickdfresh
04-05-2005, 12:55 PM
I saw this earlier. It's too bad, he's my favorite anchorman.

FORD
04-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I saw this earlier. It's too bad, he's my favorite anchorman.

Hell, he's the only one left who's not on the BCE payroll.

Phil theStalker
04-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Peter Jennings, sole anchor of ABC News since 1983, told colleagues Jennings, 66, has been feeling ill for the past several months
he's been around those depleted uranium zones

:spank:

FORD
04-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker

You mean the ones in Iraq, or the ones in Manhattan?

Of course the fact that he used to be a heavy smoker probably didn't help either. Not sure whether he still is or not.

Jesterstar
04-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker

Funny that people still have faith in anyone in the National News.

FORD
04-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Jesterstar
Funny that people still have faith in anyone in the National News.

Pete's the last one I have any respect for at all. He'll still read the crap that his Disney corporate bosses put on his teleprompter, but he's found subtle ways of communicating whether he thinks a particular story is bullshit.

And with Brokaw and Rather being replaced by hard core right wingers, Jennings was all there was to network news. The cable channels were already useless.

Ted Turner needs to get CNN out of AOL's hands and if he doesn't want to run it himself, sell it to a group of liberal investors, so there can at least be one national network that challenges the BCE spin.

vanzilla
04-05-2005, 10:16 PM
FORD, Jest - I've got to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I know how you feel about the mainstream media, and I agree with you on many points, but not on this one.

I met Peter back in 1996 at the Kentucky Derby. I was lucky enough to actually have a conversation with him, as opposed to an interview. He gave me good advice on how to further my career in the biz. Keep in mind - this was a time when I wanted to quit TV all together. He gave me his card and told me to mail him a tape so he could critique it. I mailed him one 2 days later. One week later he writes me back with advice. He didn't have to do that.

The next year, Peter's former producer - Steve Tello (now the VP of Fox Sports Net, then the GM of the WB affilate) hired me in Nashville. Peter gave me a recommendation.

I owe him a lot. He didn't have to help out a 24 year old reporter, but he did. He said he owes it to the profession to help out as many young newsmen as he could. Peter Jennings is a class act. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Jesterstar
04-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by vanzilla
FORD, Jest - I've got to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I know how you feel about the mainstream media, and I agree with you on many points, but not on this one.

I met Peter back in 1996 at the Kentucky Derby. I was lucky enough to actually have a conversation with him, as opposed to an interview. He gave me good advice on how to further my career in the biz. Keep in mind - this was a time when I wanted to quit TV all together. He gave me his card and told me to mail him a tape so he could critique it. I mailed him one 2 days later. One week later he writes me back with advice. He didn't have to do that.

The next year, Peter's former producer - Steve Tello (now the VP of Fox Sports Net, then the GM of the WB affilate) hired me in Nashville. Peter gave me a recommendation.

I owe him a lot. He didn't have to help out a 24 year old reporter, but he did. He said he owes it to the profession to help out as many young newsmen as he could. Peter Jennings is a class act. I hope he makes a full recovery.

With all due respect. Him helping you out professionally was a good thing for you. Doesn't make the news he reports any more legit.

Warham
04-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Are we talking about the ABC/DNC network?

DrMaddVibe
04-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by vanzilla

That's a cool story. I bumped into him at an auto plant where Clinton was appearing and he seemed above it all. He had a guy lighting his smokes and another girl running out for his meals and drinks. I'm glad that you posted this because it evens out the picture that he "painted" in my memory.

flappo
04-06-2005, 10:17 AM
i need a drink

FORD
04-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Are we talking about the ABC/DNC network?

If by "DNC" you mean the Disney Nazi Corporation, yes.

aesop
04-06-2005, 11:30 AM

Ahhh... Good 'Ole supply and demand wins again. If only Air America were on TV 24x7 to balance out the Right Wing NBC and CBS (I'm laughing my ass off right now!). You can't be serious?

I lost all respect for PJ when he claimed his job was to present the news in a way 'regular people' could understand it, and that he could explain what the news 'actually means'... That not your job there, Peter. Leave it to a Canadian liberal to think that's his 'duty' is to help all of us stupid dipshits understand the highly complex and complicated 6 o'clock news! Gimme a break.

Warham
04-06-2005, 11:47 AM

Well if you think of the Democratic National Committee as pseudo-Nazis, I'm almost certainly going to have to agree with you.

FORD
04-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Well if you think of the Democratic National Committee as pseudo-Nazis, I'm almost certainly going to have to agree with you.

No, I was referring to Eisner, who went out of his way to block the distribution of Fahrenheit 9-11.

Obviously, there's a party pulling the strings at Disney, but it ain't the Democrats.

FORD
04-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by aesop
Ahhh... Good 'Ole supply and demand wins again. If only Air America were on TV 24x7 to balance out the Right Wing NBC and CBS (I'm laughing my ass off right now!). You can't be serious?

The new NBC anchor Brian Williams was referred to in a GOP memo as their "new goto guy". The new CBS anchor is the brother of the BCE ambassador to Japan. Therefore the NBC and CBS news broadcasts are right wing

I lost all respect for PJ when he claimed his job was to present the news in a way 'regular people' could understand it, and that he could explain what the news 'actually means'... That not your job there, Peter.

But it's OK if Bill O'Vibrator Up His Ass does it, right? Or Sean Insannity?

Leave it to a Canadian liberal to think that's his 'duty' is to help all of us stupid dipshits understand the highly complex and complicated 6 o'clock news! Gimme a break.

Actually it's not really that complicated. Just listen to what the whores tell you. Then believe it, if you're a Busheep. If you're not, just assume they're lying.

flappo
04-06-2005, 12:03 PM
how can a jew be a nazi ?

aesop
04-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Actually it's not really that complicated. Just listen to what the whores tell you. Then believe it, if you're a Busheep. If you're not, just assume they're lying.

Bill O'reily's show is an OPINION BASED show. If you don't know that's the difference, you need serious help. The network news is NOT opinion. And they hate that.

Ally_Kat
04-06-2005, 12:35 PM
He sounded really bad on that message last night.

My grandfather died of lung cancer. But I never remember him sounding as hoarse as Jennings did.

A lot of the talk I heard was debate on how bad it was and how if he was starting chemo right away, it had to be bad. Doing chemo first isn't the end of the world for a patient, but it normally makes people think they are a bad case.

Positive thoughts will help get him thru the darkest hours. It sounds corney and cliche, but you'd be amazed how powerful they can be.

FORD
04-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by flappo
how can a jew be a nazi ?

Would seem to be a conflict of interest, wouldn't it?

But then Ariel Sharon has made a career out of it. So have the PNAC'ers Perle, Wolfowitz, Feith, Kagan, Kristol, etc. I guess the neocons don't mind the fact that their own ancestors are spinning in their graves.

Warham
04-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Oh brother...

I know one thing's for sure...Bill Clinton is in the doghouse right now with the DNC for becoming buddy buddy with the Bush family.

Not like he really gives a shit.

Jesterstar
04-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Would seem to be a conflict of interest, wouldn't it?

But then Ariel Sharon has made a career out of it. So have the PNAC'ers Perle, Wolfowitz, Feith, Kagan, Kristol, etc. I guess the neocons don't mind the fact that their own ancestors are spinning in their graves.

I would think that you'd see the odvious connection that the Nazi movement is more than just Jew Hating. Honestly I doubt if personally they reconize half the relegeions and types of people as we do.

BigBadBrian
04-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Best of luck to Peter. :gulp:

Angel
04-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by aesop
I lost all respect for PJ when he claimed his job was to present the news in a way 'regular people' could understand it, and that he could explain what the news 'actually means'... That not your job there, Peter. Leave it to a Canadian liberal to think that's his 'duty' is to help all of us stupid dipshits understand the highly complex and complicated 6 o'clock news! Gimme a break.

Umm, when he WAS Canadian, I doubt he was liberal by Canuck standards. He may be Canadian by Birth, but he's American by choice. Totally renounced his Canuck citizenship when he obtained his US a couple of years ago.

Frankly, a lot of people need help when it comes to understanding the news... In case you haven't noticed, there are a LOT of stupid dipshits in this world! ;)

aesop
04-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Umm, when he WAS Canadian, I doubt he was liberal by Canuck standards. He may be Canadian by Birth, but he's American by choice. Totally renounced his Canuck citizenship when he obtained his US a couple of years ago.

Frankly, a lot of people need help when it comes to understanding the news... In case you haven't noticed, there are a LOT of stupid dipshits in this world! ;)

>>>OK you got me there ;)