PDA

View Full Version : Howard Stern Rips Leno

Sarge
02-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Stern words for Leno

Jock sounds off after 'Tonight' snags sidekick

By RICHARD HUFF
DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR

Howard Stern is peeved at Jay Leno for hiring Stuttering John Melendez.

Stuttering John (l.) with Leno on 'The Tonight Show.'

Calling Jay Leno "creatively bankrupt," Howard Stern lashed out at the "Tonight Show" host yesterday for hiring away Stern show regular Stuttering John Melendez to be his announcer.
Stern told listeners on his first morning back on the radio since Melendez gave notice that Leno called him twice since the announcement.

"You're using this to get some edge, and you're lame and you're gay," Stern said he told Leno. "Jay's just lame," Stern added. "I told him 'You're an a, you're a ripoff...' "

Radio's most famous morning motormouth also slammed Leno for thinking that by getting Melendez, he would draw viewers not watching the "Tonight Show" now.

"What John has to do with Jay's show is just beyond my comprehension," Stern said.

"Jay, at what point did your creativity turn off?" Stern asked. "You're creatively bankrupt."

Melendez, who will get $500,000 a year for the NBC gig, is leaving Stern's show at week's end. He'll start on March 29, replacing current "Tonight Show" announcer Edd Hall.

Leno and Stern have been friendly throughout the years. And each has appeared on the other's show. However, Stern has often criticized Leno's "Tonight" work as being soft, and not nearly as good as his time in standup comedy.

"Jay is just a really odd guy," Stern said. "He's bizarro."

By hiring Melendez, Leno gets someone with a builtin following, especially with young male viewers, a crowd tough to lure on TV.

Melendez has been toiling on Stern's show for 15 years. He started as a gofer, grew into doing absurd celebrity interviews while stuttering and is now a fixture on the program.

Stern said he chided Leno during their phone conversations for copying bits from the radio show. Leno, Stern said, attributed the pieces on his "Tonight" show to those done by Steve Allen decades earlier.

"You're just comical in your ability to rip things," Stern said he told Leno. "You reek of desperation."

"Dude," Stern added, "you already take half my crap, you might as well steal my people."

Leno, through a spokeswoman, had no comment on Stern's rant.

Stern said yesterday he's starting the process of hiring a new staffer.

Originally published on February 23, 2004

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/167293p-146281c.html

Sarge
02-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Stuttering John is an idiot anyways..
He is.. well..
Radio quality.. and I am shocked Jay hired him.

Mr Walker
02-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Stern went easy on Leno compared to what Jimmy Kimmel said about Leno in a letter her shot off to Stern concerning this situation...
Kimmel called Leno a "fucking snake", among other things.

Sarge
02-24-2004, 12:51 PM
is stuttering john really worth 40 grand or so a month just to announce?
You have got to be kidding me!

alexpgrimes
02-24-2004, 05:47 PM
That shit Jimmy Kimmel said was funny. Too bad he's not that funny on his show..

twonabomber
02-24-2004, 08:05 PM
i'd rather watch Kimmel than Leno. Jay kisses more ass than Arsenio Hall ever did.

i may watch John's first show with Leno, but am i gonna turn into a regular Tonight Show viewer? uh, no.

Little Texan
02-25-2004, 01:12 AM
I always thought Conan was better than Leno.

High Life Man
02-25-2004, 11:39 AM
A half mil to announce a show.

FUCK!

I need to get into that business.

Leno sucks anyway. My parents think he's hilarious - that's enough to make me want to never watch him.

Ally_Kat
02-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by High Life Man

My parents think he's hilarious - that's enough to make me want to never watch him.

that's the logic i use when people ask me why i don't listen to Stern.

Sarge
02-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Sam thing
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
that's the logic i use when people ask me why i don't listen to Stern.

Same could go for Sammy Hagar

Dr. Love
02-25-2004, 08:53 PM
So you guys don't watch/listen to anything High Life Man's parents listen to?

ELVIS
02-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Stern is the one who's desparate.. he's washed up.. he was funny in 1996...

Rubnose
02-25-2004, 11:40 PM
For $500,000 a year i would leave Stern too. He probably gets 30k a year now if that. The guy is tight with a penny.

I used to love Howard but it's the same show every day now. He lost it somewhere between getting rid of Jackie and getiing divorced.

Just not fun anymore.

Ba Ba Booey should join Lettermans show.

Dave IS VH
02-25-2004, 11:53 PM
I use to like Leno, but now I think his show is really lame. Letterman is better compared to Leno.

Ally_Kat
02-26-2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Sarge

Same could go for Sammy Hagar

I come from a Roth household :hula:

Golden AWe
02-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Little Texan
I always thought Conan was better than Leno.

100% True