PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins to Fiedler: Find new team

Sarge
02-24-2004, 11:32 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7112923

MIAMI -- The Miami Dolphins gave quarterback Jay Fiedler permission to seek a trade after arranging a deal to acquire A.J. Feeley from the Philadelphia Eagles as a probable replacement, Fiedler's agent said Monday.

Advertisement

The Dolphins have confirmed trade talks with the Eagles but declined to say whether a deal for Feeley is in place. Miami is expected to give Philadelphia a conditional second-round draft pick in 2005 in the trade, which can't be completed until the offseason trading period begins March 3.

Fiedler's agent, Brian Levy, said he is seeking a new team for his client, and six teams have expressed interest. Levy declined to identify any of them.

Levy said Fiedler is scheduled to meet Wednesday with Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt, who will be returning from the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. But the Dolphins already have indicated Feeley is the front-runner to become the starter, Levy said.

"Jay has done nothing to lose the job," Levy said. "Now the job is open, and it would be a surprise if Jay won the job. It doesn't make sense."

Jay Fiedler's contract indicates strongly he'll be moving soon.(AP)
Fiedler has been erratic and injury-prone since succeeding Dan Marino as the Dolphins' quarterback in 2000. Fiedler has gone 35-17 with them but has led the Dolphins to just one postseason victory, and they've failed to make the postseason the past two years.

Fiedler is unlikely to remain with Miami as a backup in part because he's due a $2 million option in April, and his base salary for 2004 is $3.7 million.

His backup last season, Brian Griese, is likely to be released for financial reasons. Miami has two other quarterbacks, Sage Rosenfels and Clint Stoerner.

The Dolphins set their sights on Feeley after failing to acquire Mark Brunell from Jacksonville or Patrick Ramsey from Washington. The trade would be Miami's first major move since an organizational shake-up that stripped Wannstedt of his authority over personnel and promoted Rick Spielman to general manager.

Feeley, a fifth-round draft choice in 2001, didn't play last season as Philadelphia's third-string quarterback behind Donovan McNabb and Koy Detmer. The Eagles went 4-1 with Feeley when McNabb and Detmer were hurt in 2002.

Feeley's agent, David Dunn, didn't return a call seeking comment.

Sarge
02-24-2004, 11:33 AM
I have never liked Fiedler.. even though all he has ever done is win (and get hurt)

Feeley is probably not the answer either..

Shit wouldn't you be pissed if you get replaced by someone with 4 wins 2 seasons ago?

ALinChainz
02-24-2004, 02:34 PM
I agree with that. He has a better winning percentage among active QBs except for Brady, but can't seem to stay healthy or get them very far into the playoffs. I don't see Feeley being any kind of solution either. They should have pushed harder for Brunell or Ramsey in my opinion.

Sarge
02-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Brunell is great.. but old.

KANE
02-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
I agree with that. He has a better winning percentage among active QBs except for Brady, but can't seem to stay healthy or get them very far into the playoffs. I don't see Feeley being any kind of solution either. They should have pushed harder for Brunell or Ramsey in my opinion.

Im a Jax fan , i miss my boy Brunell already, Del RAio's an idiot.

KANE
02-24-2004, 04:53 PM
Brunell is just what they need to get em over that hump, maybe a new coach also, Marino will be coaching them soon, watch.

redblkwht
02-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Why toss Feidler & not Greise??

man, the teams are becoming flat out stupid!!
Dolphins were smart, they would go get Drew Breese
i hear he wants out of S.D.

young & held back with ole shotty's run run pass
predictable offensive schemes-

ALinChainz
02-24-2004, 08:36 PM
I think I read Griese maybe on his way out. Guess it depends on Feidler staying or going now. Feidler stays, Griese is out of there.

Sarge
02-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by redblkwht
Why toss Feidler & not Greise??

man, the teams are becoming flat out stupid!!
Dolphins were smart, they would go get Drew Breese
i hear he wants out of S.D.

young & held back with ole shotty's run run pass
predictable offensive schemes-

At least Feidler can play when he isn't hurt. He would make a decent backup.
Griese JUST PLAIN SUCKS!

Sarge
02-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
I think I read Griese maybe on his way out. Guess it depends on Feidler staying or going now. Feidler stays, Griese is out of there.

Griese is not the answer.
He sucks. he can never carry them to where they want to be.

They need a new coach more than a new QB!

ALinChainz
02-24-2004, 10:11 PM
I don't think Griese has ever been a real team guy either. I think he cocked off to someone at a party at Terrell Davis' house when he was still with Denver and got socked, but they covered it up, saying he "fell".

I know he was arrested for drunk and disorderly when at Michigan too, I believe he busted out a bar's front window. He had one good season in Denver, and still missed games THAT year.

I think you may be right about Wanny. Some guys are coordinators, and some are coaches.