Hey Guys besides the washburn 7 string i found these 4 guitars
http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-Special-II-i27931.music

http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-SG-Special-i30244.music

http://www.music123.com/Washburn-X10-i120152.music

http://www.music123.com/Washburn-x12-i134933.music

id like to know what you guys think of these guitars

BrownSound1
04-08-2005, 01:39 AM
I'm not a big fan of Epiphones as a whole, but I really can't say if these are worth a shit without playing them. That goes for the Washburns as well. Just get a guitar that has a sound you like, and the features you want.

I've never bought a guitar online or through mail order....I'm a bit leary of that. Not because I'm afraid I won't get the product or anything, but because I can go to a music store and pick up five guitars that are supposed to be the same make and model, and they'll all sound different. When buying online you just don't get to pick you favorite of the bunch.

Panamark
04-08-2005, 02:29 AM
Right on Brownsound1 !

You *HAVE* to play it before you buy it !

GAR
04-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Id say the Washburn X10, replace the humbucker with a Duncan 59 and pull the others out.

Cathedral
04-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I'm not a big fan of Epiphones as a whole, but I really can't say if these are worth a shit without playing them. That goes for the Washburns as well. Just get a guitar that has a sound you like, and the features you want.

I've never bought a guitar online or through mail order....I'm a bit leary of that. Not because I'm afraid I won't get the product or anything, but because I can go to a music store and pick up five guitars that are supposed to be the same make and model, and they'll all sound different. When buying online you just don't get to pick you favorite of the bunch.

Straight from the Guitarist's Bible..............

Don Corleone
04-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
but because I can go to a music store and pick up five guitars that are supposed to be the same make and model, and they'll all sound different.

Thats bang on. You really need to play a guitar before you buy one (no 2 guitars will sound the same).

GAR
05-03-2005, 11:10 PM
DLRRocks is looking down in the dollar-value bin with the Epiphones so my recommendation is within scope of his original question.

mhsWR210
05-31-2005, 01:47 PM
if your gonna get a guitar get a fender to start out with. they are good guitars.

Cathedral
05-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Make sure that you understand their return policy too.
Like Brownie stated above, you can have 10 of the same axe and all of them will feel different, have different action, and in that group you'll find maybe one killer one while the others would be better suited as coffee tables, just add legs and a coaster.

zeronumber
06-01-2005, 12:00 AM
You know what Guitar I like? The one that has a body, a neck, some frets, some pickups, a bridge, some tuners and some strings...

But with all seriousness, It should be something out of personal prefrence, from trying out the instrument, not by looks and price alone.

Speaking of which, that's another thing, Don't be sold on flashy, and "economically" priced guitars. Though it may look interesting, they don't have good sounds, mostly because these guitars are made out of Adler wood, instead of Maple, as you would know on some higher end models.

Plus, you don't want to go with something that would go out of tune, or would require new pickups in short spans of times.

Though, this being irrelavent to you, I'd go with 3 for, 3 reasons.

Mostly because it has a Thin strat body, humbucker pickup, and a tremolo...

That has shredding writtin' all over it.

Seshmeister
06-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Right on Brownsound1 !

You *HAVE* to play it before you buy it !

I thought you had an internet fiancee?:D

Big Fat Sammy
06-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by zeronumber

Speaking of which, that's another thing, Don't be sold on flashy, and "economically" priced guitars. Though it may look interesting, they don't have good sounds, mostly because these guitars are made out of Adler wood, instead of Maple, as you would know on some higher end models.

Alder is good, its the standard on quality opaque painted guitars, ash on transparent natural ones... and as far as I know there are no maple bodies...only the top is maple, like on Les Pauls.

The low end guitars are usually poplar...its cheap and light, but I tend to like them because they are light and resonate very well for sustain.

EVH used poplar if I remember correctly.

kentuckyklira
06-01-2005, 04:33 AM
The Washburn will probably get you better value for money because you wonīt be paying extra cash for the "by Gibson" bit. If you donīt feel the need for a tremolo then get the hardtail, better for staying in tune and all that.

Of course, take into account that the Washburns and the Epiphones have different scale necks. I for example, donīt like shorter, Gibson Les Paul style scale necks.

If youīre looking for a good deal on a Les Paul style guitar, check out SX guitars. I think Rondo Music has them!

Panamark
06-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I thought you had an internet fiancee?:D

Not sure what you are inferring ??

I have a fiance whom Im marrying very shortly.
(In fact next month)
Yes we did meet on the net, but the rest of the deal has
been real life my friend. Did you not know that ??
Fairytale stuff, true love all the way. Im sure you
know what that is.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as we havent spoken
directly in a while. Congrats on the twins
if you havent read any of my other congratulations.

You can congratulate me too if you feel like ;)

Cheers,

-Mark

zeronumber
06-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
Alder is good, its the standard on quality opaque painted guitars, ash on transparent natural ones... and as far as I know there are no maple bodies...only the top is maple, like on Les Pauls.

There are, a couple, but they're usually saved for higher end models, Such as "Deluxe" versions of guitars.

Besides, Maple in the long run looks better if you want to modify the paint, such if you want to ink the top and put a clear coat to do a whole "Prs" look, maple wood is usually the best way to go.

The low end guitars are usually poplar...its cheap and light, but I tend to like them because they are light and resonate very well for sustain.

EVH used poplar if I remember correctly.

Meh, I don't like them because they usually have a cheap feel and sound to them. Granted, on a standard 10 watt amp, you'll hardly tell the difference between the clean sounds of a cheap guitar, with a regular guitar, but in the long run, you'll want something that's going to last you for many reasons.

1- Because if you're a student, you'll want something that's going to last a very long time, stay in tune, and be fairly low maintenace, which is something you won't tend to find in guitars that are so cheaply made these days. Espesially if you see something priced 200. My rule is, that if my pickups cost more than a mass produced guitar, It's most likely the guitar is a POS.

2- If for whatever reason you want to quit, You might as well have a guitar with good buy back value. These sort of guitars go for about 50 at pawn shops...

3-Customization. Higher end guitars are better to invest in because of this factor alone. Mostly because the neck and the body are already top quality...Thus any new parts you add to it, won't be such a shock of a change. (Like say, if you put a different set of tuners on your guitar, you won't have an unequal distrabution of weight, because a alder necks are so light) Plus, any person who ever painted their guitar, or any paints for a guitar, suggest maple, to get the best color you can. Then the final factor, are pickups. Nearly every pickup company (Be it EmG, Lace, Seymour Duncan, etc.) will highly recomend that you have a set put into a Maple guitar to get the best tone possible.

If you donīt feel the need for a tremolo then get the hardtail, better for staying in tune and all that.

Actually, Tremolo's stay in Tune quite well(If the tremolo bridge was put in correctly.) They only tend to go out of tune, if you break a string.

Seshmeister
06-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Not sure what you are inferring ??

I have a fiance whom Im marrying very shortly.
(In fact next month)
Yes we did meet on the net, but the rest of the deal has
been real life my friend. Did you not know that ??
Fairytale stuff, true love all the way. Im sure you
know what that is.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as we havent spoken
directly in a while. Congrats on the twins
if you havent read any of my other congratulations.

You can congratulate me too if you feel like ;)

Cheers,

-Mark

Congrats!

I've been out of the loop a bit.

I was just reminding you to try before you buy...:D

Panamark
06-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Congrats!

I've been out of the loop a bit.

I was just reminding you to try before you buy...:D

No worries ;)

Well its been a year now, so we know each other pretty well.
No need to try anymore ;)

Cheers !

-Mark

Redballjets88
06-01-2005, 08:40 PM
yeah gibson makes you pay for the name

zeronumber
06-01-2005, 10:25 PM
A lot of companies make you pay for their name...that's another one of my rules about buying a guitar...If the name/title of a guitar is long enough to make a sentence...chances are...It's a rip off.

Such as "Limited Addition Gibson Les Paul Studio '67 Reissue"...waste of money. 99.9% of Les Paul's Play, look, and built the same way.

Besides...who wants to play like les paul nowadays...
And for that matter, how many people even know who les paul is?

kentuckyklira
06-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by zeronumber
A lot of companies make you pay for their name...that's another one of my rules about buying a guitar...If the name/title of a guitar is long enough to make a sentence...chances are...It's a rip off.

Such as "Limited Addition Gibson Les Paul Studio '67 Reissue"...waste of money. 99.9% of Les Paul's Play, look, and built the same way.

Besides...who wants to play like les paul nowadays...
And for that matter, how many people even know who les paul is? Raises hand,

I know who Les Paul is, donīt want to play like him though. Thatīs why I usually play Strat!

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Raises hand,

I know who Les Paul is, donīt want to play like him though. Thatīs why I usually play Strat!

I know who Les Paul is too...but I don't play those guitars because they weigh more than he does!

kentuckyklira
06-02-2005, 05:26 PM
I know who Les Paul is too...but I don't play those guitars because they weigh more than he does! True, plus I still havenīt figured out what kind of hands those baseball bat but short scale necks are supposed to be built for!

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 05:29 PM
I like the thickness of those necks, but the shorter scale kills me.

And that EDGE where your right arm lays across, just DIGS into the skin! Painful, :)

kentuckyklira
06-02-2005, 05:33 PM
I like the thickness of those necks, but the shorter scale kills me.

And that EDGE where your right arm lays across, just DIGS into the skin! Painful, :) Plus, you gotta love the easy access to the higher frets!

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 05:36 PM
No kidding!

Ever see how Slash does it?

He picks the guitar up off the strap, and turns the whole thing sideways with the neck pointing up, and gets down into it from the top.

Thats not a stage move..it's strategy of playing high notes on a Les Paul. LMAO

hollywood5150
06-02-2005, 05:38 PM
you should get an EVH Charvel.......... or an san dimas it it basically the same thing......minus the paint job and floyd

why not a strat or a gibson/esp baretta style??

better yet you should try the online store.......i think it is musicians friend.com..........

they have the EVH Kramer as well

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Musicians Friend has those EVH guitars? Never saw them in the catalog.

zeronumber
06-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Raises hand,

There is nothing in that post, I didn't like.:rockit2: