PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Heard Van Hagar's Version Of Won't Get Fooled Again?

Unchainme
04-08-2005, 09:38 PM
God It's Sucks, No sythesizers in the beggining (I Think thats what the Who Did I'm not sure) They Don't Do The Who any justice except maybe with Eddie's Guitar, It's Just Sad Folks. :donkey:

I Wonder If Diamond Dave Could Have done a Better Cover with Ed?

:hitch:

DlocRoth
04-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Shit, they probably DID cover it back in the day.

Dave's always talkin about payin yer dues, learnin 1000's of other people's tunes.

Although, I don't see Dave coverin it if he didn't have to. Not his style IMO.

Unchainme
04-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Dave and CVH was pretty good at covering songs I mean they did,
You Really Got Me
Ice Cream Man?
Dancing In The Street
(Oh) Pretty Woman. And I mean those were just on The Albums they did Last Child, Walk This Way, Sweet Emotion, Rock And Roll All Night and La Grange pretty well on The Bootlegs. But Doing A cover song with Hagar is just stupid in my opinion, because dave was so much better at it.

:hitch: I Love This Smilie! :hitch:

DlocRoth
04-09-2005, 01:53 AM
Cuz Dave's got soul.

Sammy aint got nothin but hemhorroids.

EbDawson
04-09-2005, 03:02 AM
I played that thing once at a bar juke box years ago. Mainly because I love the original. Wasn't impressed and haven't listened to it since.

bueno bob
04-09-2005, 03:15 AM
The cover of it on the live album sucks. For all intensive purposes, they had plenty of shit they could have pulled out from the vault, original shit, and considering Van Halen had never done a live album up to that point, there were any number of originals they could have put in its place...hell, even the Led Zep cover was a concert standard since 1986, that would have been a more appropriate choice if they needed to do a cover at all - furthermore, there was no reason to include Mike and Alex's solos at all, all they served to do was waste space...which, really, is the sole purpose of them doing solos at all during the Hagar era - waste space so that Sammy won't have to go into the CVH catalog and actually perform something live. Something of a blessing and a curse at the same time, really. You're spared having to hear him butcher up David's material, but at the same time you walk away from the experience rightly pissed off that you didn't hear anything from Van Halen II through Diver Down.

Now, in so far as the "learning your dues" bit, I believe Mike said back in, oh, '88 or so that in the very early days Van Halen could play 500 cover tunes at a seconds notice, depending on the audience vibe and whether or not they were getting a particular request. On THAT much, there's probably no reason to disbelieve him.

Panamark
04-09-2005, 03:58 AM
Why do we even kid ourselves that a Hagar song could possibly be good ?

Full Bug
04-09-2005, 08:33 AM
You think the song is bad, check out the live video they did with it at 5150 if you can find it, lame, a shame VH didnt do something similar with Dave at 5150 during the 1984 sessions....

Full Bug
04-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Why do we even kid ourselves that a Hagar song could possibly be good ?
Who's we? I never have....

Panamark
04-09-2005, 08:45 AM
I know you havent bug, but these threads to me
are kinda asking us if we think a Van Hagar song is any good.

The answer is no !

They suck...

Cant stop loving you was their pinnacle.

Full Bug
04-09-2005, 08:52 AM
I know you havent bug, but these threads to me
are kinda asking us if we think a Van Hagar song is any good.

Your a Super Mod, move this crap out of Main!
Or are you not really a SUPER MOD, just some dude dressed in tights?:D

fe_lung
04-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Shit, U2 did a better job with that one than Van Hagar did!

fryingdutchman
04-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Ed's guitar work is an appropriate homage to Townshend.

Sammy's vocals blow. His attempt at Roger Daltrey's "Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" comes off as weak and "thin."

Too bad Sammy didn't try Daltrey's mic twirling....maybe he would have knocked himself unconscious.

Roguesgirl
04-09-2005, 11:53 AM
I never heard it, but you'd think VanHagar fans would have heeded the warning from the title :D

Unchainme
04-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Man, U2 did do a better job, I'm listening to it right now. There is Autually A Who cover worse than Van Hagar's. Hillary Duff Did My Generation My God That sucked!

janarak
04-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Once DLR left and I heard Why cunt this be love I have avoided Van Hager like the clap.
But one day a friend who new I was a big Who fan told me of it so I borrowed it from the internet.
Ed's guitar intro was a clever version of the original but the rest was shit,even the rest of Ed stuff was a rip off of a Van Halen cover band covering the who.

MEET THE OLD BOSS NOT THE SAME AS THE OLD BOSS.
I'LL GET ON MY KNEES PRAY THAT VAN HAGER GO AWAY.

DLR7884
04-09-2005, 02:08 PM
This is going to the House of Music.....

DLR7884
It doesn't belong here.

FORD
04-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
You think the song is bad, check out the live video they did with it at 5150 if you can find it, lame, a shame VH didnt do something similar with Dave at 5150 during the 1984 sessions....

Actually, it's the exact same performance if you can put yourself through the pain of listening closely. They just threw it on the so called "live album", mixed the crowd noise in, and the sheep didn't know the difference.

Not that Van Hagar was the first band to do that, or probably the last, but it figures that a cheesy band would do such a cheesy thing, in full on cheese style.

Nickdfresh
04-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh the irony of that title choice by VAN HAGAR!

Panamark
04-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Actually, it's the exact same performance if you can put yourself through the pain of listening closely. They just threw it on the so called "live album", mixed the crowd noise in, and the sheep didn't know the difference.

Not that Van Hagar was the first band to do that, or probably the last, but it figures that a cheesy band would do such a cheesy thing, in full on cheese style.

I suddenly feel like eating a cheese sandwich. Ford you are subliminally manipulating us again !

Roguesgirl
04-10-2005, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Oh the irony of that title choice by VAN HAGAR!

Exactly!

Full Bug
04-10-2005, 06:31 AM
I suddenly feel like eating a cheese sandwich. Ford you are subliminally manipulating us again !
Very true, I just ate grilled cheese minutes ago....:D

Warham
04-10-2005, 08:26 AM
It's an abortion, plain and simple.

Casemeister
04-24-2005, 04:09 AM
I have lost disc 2 of RHRN, where that song resides, but I remember listening to it and thinking it was not all that it should have been. Sammy's scream wasn't as powerful as Roger's. In fact, it wasn't even in the same universe. There was no power at all. Alex was playing a straight-ahead, boring beat. That song was his chance to really shine, and he blew it. Ed's guitar work was good, but the rest of the song is totally lacking. That version of the song was like a bunch of studio musicians getting together to create a slick, polished WGFA. That's how I remember it, anyway.

The original Who version is beyond "classic."

Jérôme Frenchise
04-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Casemeister
(...) Alex was playing a straight-ahead, boring beat. That song was his chance to really shine, and he blew it. (...)
The original Who version is beyond "classic".

Yep! Who the hell could shine on drums as compared to Keith Moon??