PDA

View Full Version : The Modern Music Scene

roont_in_calla
04-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Right off the bat I should admit that was a fan of Emo music when I was in high school. However I would think that the music scene would have moved on by now, sadly that is not the case. Since the Emo and "Punk" sound flooded the popular consciousnes in 2002 - 2003 the atmosphere and ideals of the music scene have taken a dangerous turn. It isn't even about music anymore but rather which skinny teenage kid can look the most downtrodden in tight jeans and t-shirts, dyed black hair and the obligatory pair of dark-rimmed eyeglasses. Rock is dead. Now punk isn't an attidute but a very specific look and whoever is best dressed takes the title.

Occasionally you find a singer who can really use his sex appeal or get a crowd prepared to tear down the venue if he asked them to (very DLR like) but they are few and far between.

My question is, what happened to quality? What happened to rock & roll? Bands like Van Halen, AC/DC, Motorhead, ZZ Top, Motley Crue, etc. that really have the passion and the respect for music. With the music today you aren't good enough unless you've got the right look. Do you think Angus Young was more concerned about how good he looked when he went onstage or how well he performed and how much energy he could give the crowd?

The rock & roll scene should be about that kind of positive energy shared between the band and the audience, unlike most Emo bands that are about being depressed and spiteful towards the world. Not that there is anything wrong with feeling that way but to me music should be used to help releive these feeling instead of enhance them. It reminds me of an interview I saw with Vince Neil where he said he never understood the grunge scene (which took bands like Motley Crue out of the mainstream) because it was all about being depressed rather than "having a good time, going out and fucking some chicks". I was at a Fall Out Boy concert the other night and between songs the bass player would utter a raspy scream and say "I want all you fuckers to know that we hate everybody!" and then start the next song. That's horrible.

I know this is long but I'm a huge fan of classic VH (especially Dave) and I fear that the things that they, and rock in general, have held dear for all these years is in serious jeopardy of being forgotten or overlooked entirely by the modern young "rock" audience. Heaven forbid.

Matt White
04-09-2005, 01:46 AM
How would anyone here know about the "modern music scene"?!?

We argue about DAVE & Van Halen, and they split 20+ years ago! We're all OLD!!!:)

rustoffa
04-09-2005, 02:05 AM
Call me paranoid, but Trent Reznor will have a hard time reinventing the fishnet if prog rock gets out of hand.

These double-bridge jumping motherfuckers are going to rob the entire hard rocking fucker concencus of mascabra if gone unchecked.

Make no mistake, these flistafuck futalitarians are planning a groundswell of electric violins and moog sympathisers the like the world has never scene.

If the collective hard rocking fucker demographic chooses to go silently into that kinda slient night, we are all
SERIOUSLY FUBAR'D!!!!!!!

:mad:

Fabulous Shadow
04-09-2005, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by roont_in_calla
Right off the bat I should admit that was a fan of Emo music when I was in high school. However I would think that the music scene would have moved on by now, sadly that is not the case. Since the Emo and "Punk" sound flooded the popular consciousnes in 2002 - 2003 the atmosphere and ideals of the music scene have taken a dangerous turn. It isn't even about music anymore but rather which skinny teenage kid can look the most downtrodden in tight jeans and t-shirts, dyed black hair and the obligatory pair of dark-rimmed eyeglasses. Rock is dead. Now punk isn't an attidute but a very specific look and whoever is best dressed takes the title.

Occasionally you find a singer who can really use his sex appeal or get a crowd prepared to tear down the venue if he asked them to (very DLR like) but they are few and far between.

My question is, what happened to quality? What happened to rock & roll? Bands like Van Halen, AC/DC, Motorhead, ZZ Top, Motley Crue, etc. that really have the passion and the respect for music. With the music today you aren't good enough unless you've got the right look. Do you think Angus Young was more concerned about how good he looked when he went onstage or how well he performed and how much energy he could give the crowd?

The rock & roll scene should be about that kind of positive energy shared between the band and the audience, unlike most Emo bands that are about being depressed and spiteful towards the world. Not that there is anything wrong with feeling that way but to me music should be used to help releive these feeling instead of enhance them. It reminds me of an interview I saw with Vince Neil where he said he never understood the grunge scene (which took bands like Motley Crue out of the mainstream) because it was all about being depressed rather than "having a good time, going out and fucking some chicks". I was at a Fall Out Boy concert the other night and between songs the bass player would utter a raspy scream and say "I want all you fuckers to know that we hate everybody!" and then start the next song. That's horrible.

I know this is long but I'm a huge fan of classic VH (especially Dave) and I fear that the things that they, and rock in general, have held dear for all these years is in serious jeopardy of being forgotten or overlooked entirely by the modern young "rock" audience. Heaven forbid.

There's your QUALITY thread Doc...

rustoffa
04-09-2005, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
There's your QUALITY thread Doc...

:confused:

Fabulous Shadow
04-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Doc said there were not enough quality threads... I found this one rich... that's all...

rustoffa
04-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
:confused:

:stupid:

Soul Reaper
04-09-2005, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by roont_in_calla

Pop-punk and emo use lyrics about their girlfriend ditching them and hating everybody becuase they think it relates to people. I just think they're just a bunch of kids who look the same and relive what happened in the past (bullied at school, parents beating them etc.)

Classic rock bands are more about fun and "having a good time, going out and fucking some chicks". I prefer to listen to that than those angst bands.

The Scatologist
04-09-2005, 05:00 PM
I'm all about making those whiny ass bitches cry some more:D

Yep, the elmo scene's blame is all on me baby:D

Redballjets88
04-09-2005, 05:08 PM
yeah its very true what your saying what happened to being on stage and having fun. it used to be that music was what people went to to forget there problems now its like they listen to it to be reminded of how they feel

The Scatologist
04-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Do they really want to be reminded of how I banged their mama's so much? :D

Coyote
04-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
Classic rock bands are more about fun and "having a good time, going out and fucking some chicks". I prefer to listen to that than those angst bands.

Exactly.

scottydabodi
04-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Just for the record, this EMO bullshit is a trite, phony, contrived wuss-fest that passes off pseudo-anger in place of ANY real emotion WHATSOEVER. As far as whatever happened to Quality music... ask Kurt Cobain, cuz before his stupid ass showed up, we were all having a great time...

vanzilla
04-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by scottydabodi
Just for the record, this EMO bullshit is a trite, phony, contrived wuss-fest that passes off pseudo-anger in place of ANY real emotion WHATSOEVER. As far as whatever happened to Quality music... ask Kurt Cobain, cuz before his stupid ass showed up, we were all having a great time...

Scotty - I almost forgot how beautiful your posts looked on my screen!

Well put brother!

vanzilla
04-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
How would anyone here know about the "modern music scene"?!?

We argue about DAVE & Van Halen, and they split 20+ years ago! We're all OLD!!!:)

Ain't that the truth.:(