PDA

View Full Version : Bush's Approval Rating Drops to 44%

Nickdfresh
04-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Bush's approval rating dips to 44%

Associated Press
4/9/2005

WASHINGTON - The public's dissatisfaction with President Bush and the Republican-led Congress is growing as their poll numbers drop amid record high gasoline prices, war in Iraq, the Social Security debate and the Terri Schiavo case.

The Republican president's job approval is at 44 percent, with 54 percent disapproving. Only 37 percent have a favorable opinion of the work being done by Congress, according to an AP-Ipsos poll.

Bush's job approval was at 49 percent in January, the same month in which he was sworn in for a second term, while Congress' was at 41 percent.

The president claimed indifference when asked about his falling ratings. "Some of them were going up the other day," he said. "You can find them going up and you can find them going down. You can pretty much find out what you want in polls is my point."

Asked about the reasons for Bush's declining ratings, Republican pollster Tony Fabrizio cited uphill efforts to change Social Security, the Schiavo case and "economic jitters" heightened by rising oil prices.

Republicans in Congress and the president moved quickly during the Easter recess to approve legislation intended to prolong the life of Schiavo, the brain-damaged Florida woman who died after her feeding tube was disconnected.

The percentage of those supporting Bush's handling of domestic issues dipped between March and April, to 42 percent for the economy and 38 percent for issues such as education and health care, according to the poll conducted for the Associated Press by Ipsos-Public Affairs. Support for the president's approach to his top domestic priority, Social Security, remained at 36 percent, while 58 percent oppose it.

"The public hasn't bought into the idea of private accounts and the necessity of them," said Charles Franklin, a political scientist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Republicans argue that young adults are supposed to benefit the most from Bush's Social Security proposal, but 54 percent of that group opposes the president on that issue.

The poll of 1,001 adults was taken April 4-6 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050409/1073871.asp

twonabomber
04-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

The president claimed indifference when asked about his falling ratings.

yeah, he only had to keep the snow job going until last November.

LoungeMachine
04-09-2005, 12:26 PM
It's all Clinton's fault anyway.

FORD
04-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
It's all Clinton's fault anyway.

Yeah, that will probably be the next bullshit spin.... All these Clinton appearances with Poppy and Junior in recent months are dragging down the BCE image :rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
04-09-2005, 12:55 PM
It's a fake Liberal-media conspiracy poll.;)

Warham
04-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Bush doesn't give a rat's ass about polls. He'll probably leave office with an approval rating of about 50%. But his legacy will be greater than Clinton's, who left at around 60%. Clinton was led by Dick Morris and his polls the whole eight years he was in office, and ended up doing nothing of long-lasting importance, besides appeasing the masses.

BigBadBrian
04-09-2005, 07:28 PM
I heard on the news the other day that Harry S. Truman had the overall worst polling numbers for his Presidency. Forgot what the numbers were. They averaged in the '40's. :gulp:

blueturk
04-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Bush doesn't give a rat's ass about polls. He'll probably leave office with an approval rating of about 50%. But his legacy will be greater than Clinton's, who left at around 60%.

And what will that legacy be? The biggest deficit in history? False WMD's? His Social Security "plan"? Coddling the rich?
Clinton's legacy will be a blow job. Not very honorable, but a hell of a lot better than the shit that Dubya will leave when he's gone. But as you said, Bush doesn't give a rat's ass. It won't be his problem.

"In this job you've got a lot on your plate on a regular basis; you don't have much time to sit around and wander, lonely, in the Oval Office, kind of asking different portraits, 'How do you think my standing will be?'" —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., March 16, 2005

Nickdfresh
04-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by blueturk
And what will that legacy be? The biggest deficit in history? False WMD's? His Social Security "plan"? Coddling the rich?
Clinton's legacy will be a blow job....
\
And a strong economy.

blueturk
04-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
\
And a strong economy.

I know that, but all these people who mention Clinton (even though he's been out of office for five years ) in a discussion about Dubya remember is the blow job. I might as well bring it up first!

FORD
04-10-2005, 10:53 AM
I know that, but all these people who mention Clinton (even though he's been out of office for five years ) in a discussion about Dubya remember is the blow job. I might as well bring it up first!

Isn't it strange how all those right wing homophobes are obsessed with Clinton's penis? :blow:

Warham
04-10-2005, 01:43 PM

Gee, five years...what a long fucking time ago, huh?

And he was our last president too. Nobody would talk about the last president five years later.

blueturk
04-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Gee, five years...what a long fucking time ago, huh?

And he was our last president too. Nobody would talk about the last president five years later.

They would if they couldn't find a reason to defend the current president.

"After standing on the stage, after the debates, I made it very plain, we will not have an all-volunteer army. And yet, this week — we will have an all-volunteer army!" —George W. Bush, Daytona Beach, Fla., Oct. 16, 2004

academic punk
04-10-2005, 07:54 PM
44%? That's NOTHING!

On Friday, I shouted out my last girlfriend's name as I climaxed. My approval rating ever since has been zilch...

Warham
04-10-2005, 08:42 PM
LMAO!