PDA

View Full Version : what are your favorite musical guilty pleasures?

Marlowe01
04-10-2005, 02:32 PM
I realize, yeah, that if it's a guilty pleasure you don't want to share. Anyone willing to share theirs?

Coyote
04-11-2005, 01:22 AM
Abba.

Yeah, they're Swedish. Yes, their lyrics don't often make sense.
But still, they made some of the catchiest pop-songs of the late 1900's. (Sometimes a bit on the disco-side, sometimes a bit schlager.)

aesop
04-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Montgomery Gentry - Their the new Lynyrd Skynyrd. Period.

Rikk
04-11-2005, 01:44 AM
ABBA. Of course, I don't get that guilty. I'm Swedish, and therefore it's an expected.

aesop
04-11-2005, 01:50 AM
ABBA sucks donkey balls.

No offense to the Sweedish...

Coyote
04-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by aesop
ABBA sucks donkey balls.

To each their own. :cool:

aesop
04-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
To each their own. :cool:

True Dat!

Golden AWe
04-11-2005, 02:35 AM
Abba, yesss.

Then, I hate most of her songs but I'd like to hear her with a proper rock band - Anastacia. And the body...

I also listen to a lot of old finnish popular music...and some foreign too...TOM JONES!!!

hahahah

...and I don't feel guilty...not at all!

bueno bob
04-11-2005, 03:07 AM
ABBA, Bryan Adams, Asia, Chicago, Paul Davis, Journey, King Kobra, Huey Lewis & The News, Meat Loaf, Meco, The Missing Persons, REO Speedwagon, Romeo's Daughter, Christopher Cross, Hall & Oates, Joe Jackson, Dan Fogelberg, Sheriff/Alias, and Zebra...all in my collection because sometimes you just feel like whackin' off to the gay 80s.

Note: The above was not written by Bueno Bob. This is written by his evil clone Muy Bueno Bob, who has just knocked Bueno Bob unconscious and is typing this in order to discredit his position among the Roth Army. When Bueno Bob regains consciousness, Muy Bueno Bob will have receeded back into the dark, hidden crevices of Bueno Bob's mind, much like the evil alter ego in that Stephen King book "The Dark Half", and Bueno Bob will deny to the utmost having ever written any of the above. Thank you.

Golden AWe
04-11-2005, 03:21 AM
HA!!!

now I can understand most of the 80's pop stuff...but MEAT LOAF and Bryan Adams...that's heavy, man...

Now is your time to confess - have you ever cried during a Bryan Adams/Meat Loaf-song?

Have you ever felt self-pity and listened to something like Meat Loaf, and then gone back to Van Halen realizing it's the only way to get over these bad situations in life?

Rikk
04-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Actually, I love one BRYAN ADAMS song...SUMMER OF '69. I don't know why...it's just so unbelievably cheesy and everything...but it's fucking catchy.

Golden AWe
04-11-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Actually, I love one BRYAN ADAMS song...SUMMER OF '69. I don't know why...it's just so unbelievably cheesy and everything...but it's fucking catchy.

true.

bueno bob
04-11-2005, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
HA!!!

now I can understand most of the 80's pop stuff...but MEAT LOAF and Bryan Adams...that's heavy, man...

Now is your time to confess - have you ever cried during a Bryan Adams/Meat Loaf-song?

Have you ever felt self-pity and listened to something like Meat Loaf, and then gone back to Van Halen realizing it's the only way to get over these bad situations in life?

What the fuck??!?!?!? MUY Bueno Bob???

I didn't write ANY of that shit up there.

Serious!

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Country Music. Hairbands from the 80's, Jackie Wilson, Temptations, old 50's and 60's. Also love bands like Journey, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, etc...

Hardrock69
04-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Sting, Deep Forest, Enigma, Michelle Wright (a friend of mine who is a superstar in Canada), Tony Bennett, kd lang....

DlocRoth
04-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Cake....

I don't know, the frontman's voice is cool.

Mr Badguy
04-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Cleo Laine

I can`t get enough scat jazz.

Marlowe01
04-11-2005, 05:05 PM
ABBA sucks balls in my opinion. Bryan Adams is decent. Summer of '69 depresses me. It probably should make you feel good, but it depresses the hell out of me, personally. I love Journey...I wouldn't necesarily call them a guilty pleasure.

Warham
04-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Blink-182 is my guilty pleasure, although many rock fans consider them a band of the worst kind. It's potty humor music of the worst (or best) kind.

I have all their major label albums, and have gone to one of their concerts near Chicago after Enema of the State came out.

saint
04-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Since I’m getting old I’m starting to get some occasional nostalgia flashback of the 80’ or even 70’

I just compiled a CD with Sweet, ELO, Elton John, Rod Stewart. Got a kick out of it and went back to my filesharing program and continued the humiliation Duran Duran, Thompson Twins , Howard Jones, Erasure where next, but I tell you those went straight to cyber heaven didn’t even made it to CD.

dr.rythm
04-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Elvis, Luciano Pavarotti, Bee-Gees (that one took a lot of balls...lol)

and dead can dance

rustoffa
04-11-2005, 10:50 PM
If I don't play The Carpenters' "Close To You" when I'm lacing up the razor sharp metal claws on my fighting chickens, it's a merthiolate fest!

Panamark
04-12-2005, 12:45 AM
LOL ! The Carpenters and chook fighting, only Russ could put those together.

ABBA, like em or not, wrote fantastic arrangements. Its weird, Im not
into that sort of shit, but I think they were great. I can appreciate
the genuine genius behind the songwriting.

Beatles Rock, Meatloaf with Ellen Foley and Jim Steinman....
ELO !! Laughed at the Bee Gee selection, but hey you gotta admit
even those guys were great composers. Even if you hated their
style of music. Genius should always be recognised and appreciated !

manwiththedogs
04-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Always had a soft spot for the old Motown stuff...Four Tops, Temps, Smokey Robinson, Marvin...mainly because of James Jamerson. The man was one of the best bass players of all time, no doubt.

oh...and the GoGo`s:p

Roguesgirl
04-12-2005, 08:18 AM
I like some 1970's disco. Like the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack.

:o

Soul Reaper
04-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Classical composers (Mozart, Beethoven, Bach)

is that bad?

Warham
04-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Hell no!

Still the best music ever created.

academic punk
04-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Carole King's "Tapestry" is a great.

Billy Squier's "Don't say No".

The occassional Neil Diamond. ("Shiloh" ROCKS!!!)

academic punk
04-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Susie Q
Also love bands like Journey, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, etc...

Smells like a Hagar fan...

Warham
04-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Men At Work is one of my guilty pleasures. Down Under, Overkill, Who Can It Be Now and It's a Mistake are all classics in my eyes. Underrated.

academic punk
04-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Warham -

Men at Work's former lead singer Colin Hay has a solo tune on the Garden State soundtrack. A mellow acoustic thing. Check it out!

Warham
04-12-2005, 04:19 PM
I've read that his last album, which came out a few months ago, is very good. I was considering picking it up recently.

Soul Reaper
04-12-2005, 04:20 PM
ABBA

too damn catchy

Marlowe01
04-12-2005, 04:20 PM
I'll admit I like Elton John, Kid Rock, Poison, Warrant, and others

academic punk
04-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Keith Richards said it best: "It's music, there ain't nothing to feel guilty about if it brings you pleasure adn makes you feel good."

That being said, there are plenty of stories of Keith nearly punching out Ron Wood for playing the riff to "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" one too many times.

Mr Grimsdale
04-13-2005, 03:38 PM
i'm with marlowe01 and soul reaper on most of those

i'm listening to a level 42 greatest hits cd over and over again

top band

MAX
04-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Carole King's "Tapestry" is a great.

Billy Squier's "Don't say No".

I love those two albums, have them both. Learned a lot of Billy Squier when I first learned how to play guitar. lol.

Stroke me, stroke me......... lol.

Abba, rocks too plus *oof* I dig tons of odd 70's and 80's shit. I also friggin' love N.W.A. and country too, both classic like Marty Robbins and newer stuff like Dwight Yoakam and Clint Black.

academic punk
04-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I love those two albums, have them both. Learned a lot of Billy Squier when I first learned how to play guitar. lol.

Stroke me, stroke me......... lol.

The very first song I ever learned was...well, Bruce Springsteen's "Cover Me". But the very NEXT song was Billy's "Lonely is the Night".

Great album! "My Kind of Lover" and "I Need You" would still sound hot if they were released today.

MAX
04-13-2005, 06:32 PM
I love "Lonely is the Night" even though my nights never are cos I have a goat. :p

I think the first Squier tune I learned was "Everybody Wants You" but I cannot remember? I can't fucking believe it's been that many years ago.

academic punk
04-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I love "Lonely is the Night" even though my nights never are cos I have a goat. :p

I am so going to say a prayer for your soul tonight while I listen to "The Stroke".

MAX
04-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
I am so going to say a prayer for your soul tonight while I listen to "The Stroke".

Say a prayer for the poor goat cos he'll be the one getting the stroke. :)

Baaaaaaaaa.................

academic punk
04-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Say a prayer for the poor goat cos he'll be the one getting the stroke. :)

Baaaaaaaaa.................

that poor Chester...

Marlowe01
04-13-2005, 08:27 PM
I like Billy Idol, too. I'm not sure I'd call him a guilty pleasure, though. I love Journey and Don Henley as well.

Wa Wa Zat
04-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Mark King is a kick ass bass player and Phillip Gould is a very underrated drummer. Later skinsman, Gary Husband(former Holdsworth drummer) is a great as well. The live album, A Physical Presence is my fav. Alan Murphy RIP.

But my real guilty pleasure: Seals And Crofts

Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
i'm with marlowe01 and soul reaper on most of those

i'm listening to a level 42 greatest hits cd over and over again

top band

Mr Grimsdale
04-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Wa Wa Zat
Mark King is a kick ass bass player and Phillip Gould is a very underrated drummer. Later skinsman, Gary Husband(former Holdsworth drummer) is a great as well. The live album, A Physical Presence is my fav. Alan Murphy RIP.

YEAH!

Originally posted by Wa Wa Zat
ut my real guilty pleasure: Seals And Crofts

Who? Can't say I've ever heard of them.

Soul Reaper
04-14-2005, 01:52 PM
RUN DMC and Public Enemy

I usually hate rap, but I like those bands.

Anonymous
04-14-2005, 02:06 PM
I like Neil Diamond... Yes, I do feel guilty when I'm listening to the guy, but I often find myself singing along anyways...

That's my only guilt in music, I think. Oh, I also used to like Bryan Adams and Guns n' Roses when I was 13 or 14. But that was just because I had never listened to real music. Then I bought Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark, and never listened to that crap again. :D

Cheers! :bottle:

Mr Grimsdale
04-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
RUN DMC and Public Enemy

I usually hate rap, but I like those bands.

Public Enemy eh?

Who knows what the sample is on the track She Watch Channel Zero?

It sounds sort of like Slayer but I can't be sure. Does anyone know?

Shaun Ponsonby
04-14-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't have any guilty musical pleasures. If I like somebody, I like them. You don't have to listen to them.

One person who I quite like that people kind of pull a face at is Har Mar Superstar.

Susie Q
04-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by MAX

I think the first Squier tune I learned was "Everybody Wants You" but I cannot remember? I can't fucking believe it's been that many years ago.

You know I remember dancing in my parents cellar with my cousins to this album. We thought he was hot in the day...LOL.:o

Mr Grimsdale
04-15-2005, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I don't have any guilty musical pleasures. If I like somebody, I like them. You don't have to listen to them.

Damn, he's only a youngster and he makes the most mature post on this site EVER!

Shaun Ponsonby
04-15-2005, 04:36 PM
There's a song that I like that people can't believe I like, because of my undying love of rock 'n' roll, The Proclaimers-

"When I wake up, you know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you.
When I go out, yea, I know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who walks along with you.
If I get drunk, well, I know I'm gonna be,
I'm Gonna Be the man who gets drunk next to you,
And if I grow old, I know I'm gonna be,
I'm gonna be the man who grows old with you.

But, I could walk 500 miles, and I could walk 500 more,
Just to be the man who walks a thousand miles
To fall back at your door

Dadada (dadada)
Dadada (dadada)
(Dadadadadadadadadadaaaaaaaaa)

Dadada (dadada)
Dadada (dadada)
(Dadadadadadadadadadaaaaaaaaaa)"

It makes me feel so happy!!

However, I feel no guilt in listening to it and I don't care if others mock it-I LIKE IT.

Being a prog fan, I like a lot of different styles of music.

Hardrock69
04-16-2005, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by manwiththedogs
Always had a soft spot for the old Motown stuff...Four Tops, Temps, Smokey Robinson, Marvin...mainly because of James Jamerson. The man was one of the best bass players of all time, no doubt.
oh...and the GoGo`s:p

Man, when the DVD Standing In The Shadows Of Motown came out I was all over that motherfucker.

And as for the Go-Gos...I would have loved to have been a male groupie at one of their shows.....

I would dig seeing some of them naked and having hardcore sex....

Well, here is something to start with I guess...

Hardrock69
04-16-2005, 02:07 AM
And here is the page with a bunch more pix of her...I believe these were from their Playboy shoot.....

http://www.revsharesex.com/rev2040/members/singers/carlisle1.htm

**me drools**

:b

Coyote
04-16-2005, 04:29 AM
Add Daft Punk to my list. Although, I'm not feeling guilty 'bout it...

Soul Reaper
04-16-2005, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
Add Daft Punk to my list. Although, I'm not feeling guilty 'bout it...

I love Aerodynamic. the anime video was cool.

MAX
04-17-2005, 02:53 AM
Crucifixion time but I like old "Chicago" stuff from the 70's. *OOF* :o

Bill Lumbergh
04-17-2005, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Crucifixion time but I like old "Chicago" stuff from the 70's. *OOF* :o

Translation- Actually, I REALLY like Peter Ceteras 80's pop ballads.

Rikk
04-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh

:p

Warm 'em up, then admit that it's actually GLORY OF LOVE you shake your ass to...:D

MAX
04-17-2005, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh

LOL!!!

I met Cetera once at an airport. He was really a nice guy and had a smokin' hot lil' woman with him.

Seriously, I do dig cheeseball Cetera Chicago shit. Prolly why I hate Van Hagar so much cos they even fuck up the sap. lol.

vanzilla
04-17-2005, 03:55 AM
I'm a big fan of Bueno Bob playing Hagar tunes on bass.

Ear Candy!!!!

Coyote
04-17-2005, 12:12 PM
I love Aerodynamic. the anime video was cool.

The movie was great, too. Memorable story, cool artwork.

Soul Reaper
04-17-2005, 03:52 PM
I didn't know it was a movie.

Any other Daft Punk fans here?

Coyote
04-17-2005, 04:08 PM
I didn't know it was a movie.

Any other Daft Punk fans here?

The first four videos ("One More Time", "Aerodynamic", "Digital Love" and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger") were teasers from the movie, Interstella 5555.

Soul Reaper
04-17-2005, 04:18 PM
I've heard of Intersella 5555.

I didn't know Daft Punk did the soundtrack.

Another guilty pleasure...Whitesnake (Sykes and Vai eras).

Coyote
04-17-2005, 04:38 PM
If I recall correctly, the movie was made specifically to be a feature-length music video. Or something to that effect...

Whitesnake? Good choice...

Paul Oxley's Unit.

Soul Reaper
04-17-2005, 04:46 PM
I actually like that Here I Go Again.

I know not many people here like poofy hair metal.

Coyote
04-17-2005, 04:58 PM
I think it was a bit of an overdose-effect back then... Kinda like if you eat way too much chocolate: You get sick of it, throw up and move on to something else.

Kinda hard to say though, I was only 4 to 6 years old back then... :cool:

Soul Reaper
04-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Do you have any Whitesnake albums, Coyote?

Coyote
04-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah. "1987", "Slide it In" and "Saints'n'Sinners".

Marlowe01
04-17-2005, 09:45 PM
I have the self-titled one...the one that everyone has. Kick-ass album. Slip of the Tongue is decent, too.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-18-2005, 01:02 PM
I had a thread about the ORIGINAL Whitesnake. The Moody/Marsden line up. Those were the days. 'Here I Go Again' is actually a re-make of an older Whitesnake song, ironically, THAT is also called 'Here I Go Again' (its on 'Saints and Sinners'), it's more of a power ballad (a REAL power ballad, not those fake power ballads we hear so much on the radio these days).

These are the Whitesnake albums that I own in my unusaully large album collection-

T.R.O.U.B.L.E. (1 ON CD, THE OTHER ON LP)
LOVEHUNTER
READY 'N' WILLING
LIVE...IN THE HEART OF THE CITY (2 CD COPIES)
SAINTS 'N' SINNERS
SLIP OF THE TOUNGE (BOTH UK AND AMERICAN VERSIONS ON CD)
STARKERS IN TOKYO

I recommend the first 4 to any/everyone.

Big Fat Sammy
04-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Cyndi Lauper.

Soul Reaper
04-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I had a thread about the ORIGINAL Whitesnake. The Moody/Marsden line up. Those were the days. 'Here I Go Again' is actually a re-make of an older Whitesnake song, ironically, THAT is also called 'Here I Go Again' (its on 'Saints and Sinners'), it's more of a power ballad (a REAL power ballad, not those fake power ballads we hear so much on the radio these days).

I heard that version of the song. It was pretty good.

VHdamaco
04-19-2005, 01:09 PM
i am confident enough in my sexuality to admit that one of my guilty pleasures is girls want to have fun by cyndi lauper...

why that is, i couldn't tell you, but thats it nonetheless

the big dawg
04-19-2005, 04:51 PM
elvis 68 comeback spl

Shaun Ponsonby
04-21-2005, 04:14 PM
HA-HA

Well, he was the KING

FasterPussycat
04-24-2005, 10:16 AM
All the songs of Smokie...ouch some1's already throwing tomatoes on this pretty face..