PDA

View Full Version : Half of young Americans to get sex diseases

Sarge
02-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Half of young Americans to get sex diseases
By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Half of all young Americans will get a sexually transmitted disease by the age of 25, perhaps because they are ignorant about protection or embarrassed to ask for it, according to several reports.

The reports, issued on Tuesday publicised by two non-profit sexual and youth health groups, said there were 9 million new cases of STD among teens and young adults aged 15 to 24 in 2000.

They said the U.S. government's policy of preferring abstinence-only education would only increase those rates.

"For the 27 million young Americans under the age of 25 who have had sex, the stakes are simply too high to talk only about abstinence," James Wagoner, president of Advocates for Youth, said in a statement.

"Given the prevalence of STDs, young people need all the facts -- including medically accurate information on condoms."

The reports, released jointly by Advocates for Youth -- a non-profit group advocating for sex education, and the sexual health-oriented Alan Guttmacher Institute, pull together information from several different publications.

They include a Centres for Disease Control and Prevention report in the latest issue of the journal Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, and a University of North Carolina report based on interviews with teens and young adults.

"Approximately 18.9 million new cases of STD occurred in 2000, of which 9.1 million (48 percent) were among persons aged 15 to 24," the CDC report reads.

It said three diseases -- human papillomavirus or genital wart virus, a parasitic infection called trichomoniasis and chlamydia -- accounted for 88 percent of all new cases of STDs in 15- to 24-year-olds. Wart virus is the major cause of cervical cancer while chlamydia can cause infertility.

POTENTIAL CAUSES

The CDC report did not comment on potential causes, but the Guttmacher Institute did.

"It is not surprising that teens and young adults contract a disproportionate number of infections," said Guttmacher's Sharon Camp. "Most young people are sexually active, and many are ill equipped to prevent STDs or seek testing and treatment."

She said sex education that includes information on condoms is vital to preventing STDs.

"Although abstaining from sexual activity is guaranteed to prevent STDs, some adolescents and virtually all young adults will eventually choose to have sex," Camp said.

"Before they do, they need realistic sex education that teaches them how to prevent STDs and unwanted pregnancies. It is essential to have medically accurate information about condoms and other contraceptive methods, and guidance on how to access appropriate prevention, testing and treatment services."

Teens 15 and older who have had sex have the highest STD rates of any age group in the country, and the United States has the highest STD rate of any industrialised country, according to CDC and World Health Organisation figures.

The University of North Carolina report attacked federal policies that encourage abstinence-only education.

"Abstinence is, of course, the only 100 percent effective prevention strategy," Shawn Carney, a 17-year-old member of the UNC youth panel, said in a statement.

"But with 70 percent of young people having sex by the age of 18, we need to hear about more than abstinence. We need to know how to prevent STDs when we do have sex later in life."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040224/325/emux4.html

BITEYOASS
02-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Does this study ever say how they got infected? Because the two top diseases mentioned (Herpes and genital warts) you can get just by sharing someones towel. HOW ABOUT TEACHING TEEN'S BASIC HYGIENE WHILE THERE AT IT!?!?! And even when you do teach them birth control included with abstinence, your still gonna have a percentage who just won't give a rats ass.

knuckleboner
02-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Half of all young Americans will get a sexually transmitted disease by the age of 25, perhaps because they are ignorant about protection or embarrassed to ask for it, according to several reports.

i think she got the stat wrong. i believe it means that half of all cases of STDs are in the 25 and under category, not that half of all the 25 and under category will get STDs.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Teenagers and young adults account for nearly half the cases of sexually transmitted diseases in the United States though they make up just a quarter of the sexually active population, according to the first extensive national estimate of STDs among young Americans.

from cnn.com (http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/02/24/stds.ap/index.html)

so, while it's still bad, it's probably not quite as bad as the first article indicates.

meaning, if you're 24, fuck away!!!

rustoffa
02-25-2004, 08:47 PM
so, while it's still bad, it's probably not quite as bad as the first article indicates.

meaning, if you're 24, fuck away!!! [/B]

Hahahaha!

ELVIS
02-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Hmmm...

Eyes of the Night
02-26-2004, 06:41 AM
Strap your schlong kids!!! ... and don't kiss anybody that has something that looks like a cold sore!

:gulp:

KANE
02-26-2004, 06:42 AM
Well, if flappo would quit fuckin lil boys that number would go down......

flappo
02-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by KANE
Well, if flappo would quit fuckin lil boys that number would go down......

..you're obsessed with me

..i don't blame you , i'm bleedin' grate after all

flappo
07-31-2004, 04:09 PM
and he was never to be seen again

i must have struck a chord

:D

SoCalChelle
08-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
By Maggie Fox

Wow, she must be a slut

vhfan010
08-13-2004, 11:01 AM
i wounder how many times Diamond Dave has gotten one of these diseases

WolfStar999
08-16-2004, 12:21 AM
We get no education about the mechanics of sex or STDs, and then make the choice to go out and fuck around and be suddenly surprised when we realize we have herpes, AIDS, etc. Well...a hearty thank you to the conservative contingent of this country- for helping to spread disease through ignorance and instill paranoia in the name of morality. Thanx a bunch, you cock-suckers.

DeadOrAlive
08-16-2004, 01:32 AM
I'm waiting for Katydid to come... Can't wait about what she will say!

Ally_Kat
08-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by WolfStar999
We get no education about the mechanics of sex or STDs, and then make the choice to go out and fuck around and be suddenly surprised when we realize we have herpes, AIDS, etc. Well...a hearty thank you to the conservative contingent of this country- for helping to spread disease through ignorance and instill paranoia in the name of morality. Thanx a bunch, you cock-suckers.

what school did you go to? I'm the same age as you and I can tell you that they shoved sex education down my throat and this was a Catholic elementary school, a Lutheran high school, and a non-secular private college. My brother goes to a NYC public high school and they continually have sex seminars, hand condoms out like candy, and demonstrate how to use sex toys.

Personally, I think this only helps encourages them to go out and get laid. Plus, all I hear from guys lately is that they know they should wrap up, but they can't feel anything with the condom on, so they aren't using it.

The thing that I have discovered recently is that out of my circle, I'm the only one who took it seriously and didn't laugh whenever they said penis and vagina. Because of that, my friends come to me to diagnose them whenever something funky is going on and I've been right each time. Go me! :D

You want to blame someone, blame the parents. Since when is sex an academic subject and the responisbility of others to teach us? I wish my mother had sat down and talked to me back when I was younger. Now that I'm older and getting married, I wish she had so that it wouldn't be so tough to come to her now and talk. I miss the close relationships most my friends have with their mothers and sex

distortion9
08-16-2004, 04:40 PM
mmmmmmm....sex diseases

Samsonite
08-16-2004, 04:45 PM
How did Dave or any other heavy metal star never get one from a groupie?

WolfStar999
08-17-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
what school did you go to? I'm the same age as you and I can tell you that they shoved sex education down my throat and this was a Catholic elementary school, a Lutheran high school, and a non-secular private college. My brother goes to a NYC public high school and they continually have sex seminars, hand condoms out like candy, and demonstrate how to use sex toys.

Personally, I think this only helps encourages them to go out and get laid. Plus, all I hear from guys lately is that they know they should wrap up, but they can't feel anything with the condom on, so they aren't using it.

The thing that I have discovered recently is that out of my circle, I'm the only one who took it seriously and didn't laugh whenever they said penis and vagina. Because of that, my friends come to me to diagnose them whenever something funky is going on and I've been right each time. Go me! :D

You want to blame someone, blame the parents. Since when is sex an academic subject and the responisbility of others to teach us? I wish my mother had sat down and talked to me back when I was younger. Now that I'm older and getting married, I wish she had so that it wouldn't be so tough to come to her now and talk. I miss the close relationships most my friends have with their mothers and sex

Ah, NYC. Well there ya go. I, on the other hand, am born, raised, and still live in the backward-ass baptist conclave that is the Lone Star State- yup, Texas. I was lucky get schooled about sex from my folks- my Dad is a physician, and my Mom was an RN & is presently a teacher. Unfortunately, a lot of people I know didn't have my upbringing- their parents are a bunch of idiots who can't bring themselves to discuss something so basic with their children and they're left to their own devices to learn about sex.

And the schools are no help at all, due to "abstinence only" sex education-which does nothing but teach kids to not trust contraception and instill fear about sex- which leads to God knows how many neuroses about love and physical relationships over the course of their lifetimes.

Wanna know whatever happened to all the fun in the world? Just ask (1) the guys who decided to sweep the AIDS virus under the rug and subscribe to medieval superstitious bullshit about sex until it was too late to keep the viral killing spree in check(2) utter jack-offs who were too stupid to ever roll on a condom who helped to enable the spread of a pandemic.

BTW, did sex ed at Catholic School include a free viewing of "The Silent Scream"? (FYI- I'm a practicing (if not disillusioned) Catholic and attend a Catholic University.)

Ally_Kat
08-17-2004, 10:34 AM
No. It included a full biology lesson followed by a religion lesson on God and what he intended sex for.

guwapo_rocker
08-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
I'm waiting for Katydid to come...

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!:uck:

WolfStar999
08-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
No. It included a full biology lesson followed by a religion lesson on God and what he intended sex for.

"Eeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvery sperm is useful, Every sperm is greeeeeeaaaaat, Iiiiiiiiffff a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate..."

:lol:

Matt White
08-01-2005, 12:40 AM
A Cha-cha cha!!!