PDA

View Full Version : Who here considers themselves Math geniuses?

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Ok...here it is. I consider myself very well versed in things like english, grammar, etc. However, when it comes to math, I really suck at it. My kid is in the middle of learning circumference and radius, and I have no idea on how to school him on this.

I know about the decimal being 3.14 and the fraction being 22/7. But...lets take this problem for instance....how do you come up with it?

What is the circumference of a 2 1/2 yard circle?

How about this one?
Find the circumference of a circle with the radius of 0.95 meters.

He is in 6th grade math, and we just went on to dividing fractions, cause Mommy has no f'ing clue on how to figure this crap out.

Thanks to all the genius' who can help me teach this kid this stuff.

:)

twonabomber
04-11-2005, 11:25 AM
he can always do what i used to do, ask the teacher "and what will i need this for when i grow up?" :D

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
he can always do what i used to do, ask the teacher "and what will i need this for when i grow up?" :D

Here is the sad part....I AM his teacher. Bwhahahahha! I have no clue on how to do this. His final semester is being taught by me at home. I said that a long time ago to my teacher when it came to algebra and the like. I said to my math teacher in 9th grade, "Where am I going to use this algebra stuff anyways?" He said, 'Well...if you become a math teacher, or in construction, or...." I said, "Well...I am not going to be either, so I'm not going to continue with this class." As long as I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide. That's the important thing.

Now, I am forced by the poor education system I have here in the state where I live to teach my kid at home. (Until I get him enrolled into private school next year).

I can go on a rant big time with this one. Our middle school FAILED their own tests! The teachers were given their own tests a few years back and could not pass them. What's that tell ya? I went to the Board of Education a few weeks back to complain about the school my son attends and what condition it is in. I told them that my son will not be returning that I will finish home schooling him until next year. I showed her my plans, the curriculm I would follow, the progress notes I would be willing to submit, etc. She said to me, "If you had your teaching certificate I would hire you on the spot. You seem so organized, etc." My son is a A student in all his classes, is on the honor roll. Thugs and baddasses are what is running that school at present. I went there and they had security cameras in the office with no one manning them. I watched this while waiting on the principal for a half hour. When I brought up how my son was jumped by 4 kids and 'no one saw it', he said he has hall monitors and video cameras planted. I told him, I was just out in his waiting area where the cameras are supposed to be MONITORED with NO ONE monitoring them, I said.....not a good plan. My kid wants a education. Back in third grade he told me that he wanted to go to Boston University, and then over to Oxford.

Pisses me off that we have to pay school tax for a kid who won't even belong in their damn district anymore. Private school is quite expensive, but my kid is worth every penny.

rant over.... :o

flappo
04-11-2005, 11:58 AM
me

2 + 1 = 4 , i mean 5 , ok 7

fuck , 2 , i mean 45 , ok 19

flappo
04-11-2005, 11:59 AM
only joshing

e=mc+Hammerxtremelydrunk=cunt

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by flappo
only joshing

e=mc+Hammerxtremelydrunk=cunt

I LUV U :)

Ally_Kat
04-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Susie Q

What is the circumference of a 2 1/2 yard circle?

What is 2 1/2? The diameter or the circumference?

How about this one?
Find the circumference of a circle with the radius of 0.95 meters.

C = pi * d

C = pi * ( 0.95 + 0.95)

C = pi * 1.9

C = 3.14 * 1.9

C = 5.966 meters

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
What is 2 1/2? The diameter or the circumference?

The circumference. I am still lost with this....

Ally_Kat
04-11-2005, 12:11 PM
*slaps head*

I meant diameter or radius. It asks for circumference.

(can ya tell I'm still recovering from a girls weekend out? lol! )

Matt White
04-11-2005, 12:13 PM

It'll make him a carpenter or Architect!

twonabomber
04-11-2005, 12:24 PM
yes but an architect will probably be using a computer that does all the math for him. :D

i was lucky. when i took vocational electronics, we were allowed to use calculators and a list of formulas during tests. in fact the teacher would give us a 3x5 card and said whatever info you can fit on here is fair game.

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 12:25 PM
*slaps head*

I meant diameter or radius. It asks for circumference.

(can ya tell I'm still recovering from a girls weekend out? lol! )

Awwww Jeez! I remember those times! Now a days my days are numbered with kids and husband, parents and pets.

I dunno...the damn book don't say. I just don't know how you guys get the answers to stuff. Right now I am formulating his grades to submit to the Board of Education tommorrow.

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
It'll make him a carpenter or Architect!

This boy wants to be a Business Lawyer at this point. (He is 12).

Roguesgirl
04-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Just wait til he's in High School,, Susie. LMAO!

My son was a "mathlete" and was in Advanced Placement Calculus. I looked at his work and had to go lie down.

Ally_Kat
04-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Awwww Jeez! I remember those times! Now a days my days are numbered with kids and husband, parents and pets.

I dunno...the damn book don't say. I just don't know how you guys get the answers to stuff. Right now I am formulating his grades to submit to the Board of Education tommorrow.

It started out as an honors conference, but my room had a fridge in it and we finished our presentations on friday. So what else to do til Sunday? :D

Usually textbooks have step by step instructions. Do you have any teacher editions?

To get circumference is pretty simple. You need the diameter (d) or the radius (r)

If you have the diameter all you need to do is multiply the diameter by pi, which is 3.14.

If you have the radius, all you have to do is either multiply the radius by 2 or just add the radiu to itself. This makes the diameter. Then just go the route you would if it was the diameter, multiply by pi. Don't forget to have him label what measuring unit it is!

When we got to dealing with this in my elementary school, they let us use a calculator. If he has no problem multipling numbers with multiply digits and/or decimals, I say let him use the ol' calculator.

nosuchluck
04-11-2005, 12:51 PM
we weren't allowed to use calculators in school. not even in high school...
not for math atleast.

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Roguesgirl
Just wait til he's in High School,, Susie. LMAO!

My son was a "mathlete" and was in Advanced Placement Calculus. I looked at his work and had to go lie down.

That's fantastic! My kid is in advanced math too. In Grammar school he was in something called, "Math Olympia". For Reading, English (They call it Language Arts), and Math he is in advanced classes. I could scream with the whole math deal....believe me. ;)

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 01:08 PM
It started out as an honors conference, but my room had a fridge in it and we finished our presentations on friday. So what else to do til Sunday? :D

Usually textbooks have step by step instructions. Do you have any teacher editions?

To get circumference is pretty simple. You need the diameter (d) or the radius (r)

If you have the diameter all you need to do is multiply the diameter by pi, which is 3.14.

If you have the radius, all you have to do is either multiply the radius by 2 or just add the radiu to itself. This makes the diameter. Then just go the route you would if it was the diameter, multiply by pi. Don't forget to have him label what measuring unit it is!

When we got to dealing with this in my elementary school, they let us use a calculator. If he has no problem multipling numbers with multiply digits and/or decimals, I say let him use the ol' calculator.

Ally it's the whole pi business that he has to do, and then there is something by 2 as well....at least this will help some. I have only his text book for now. I went to Superkids.com for some of the math...but this does not seem to be covered. Yah.....the calculator is a no no here too.

Roguesgirl
04-11-2005, 01:24 PM
That's fantastic! My kid is in advanced math too. In Grammar school he was in something called, "Math Olympia". For Reading, English (They call it Language Arts), and Math he is in advanced classes. I could scream with the whole math deal....believe me. ;)

They have competitions here called Academic Decathalons, he was on the Math team. I have no idea how I ended up with a kid like this. I think he was swapped out in the nursery. LOL.:D

They had "practices" and each kid had to bring a snack, I gave him "nerds" and "smarties". LOL

FORD
04-11-2005, 01:25 PM
yes but an architect will probably be using a computer that does all the math for him. :D

i was lucky. when i took vocational electronics, we were allowed to use calculators and a list of formulas during tests. in fact the teacher would give us a 3x5 card and said whatever info you can fit on here is fair game.

You went to the wrong school! My electronics teacher let us take our tests as a group project, and we always went to the tavern across the street from the school and worked out the answers with the help of burgers and beers :gulp:

Algebra is actually something I never really got at first, because I didn't see the point in it - until I got into electronics and that's win all this a + B = X crap got replaced with actual numbers representing volts and watts and ohms and I had a practical application for the formulas.

Susie, is there any way you can put the math problems in a context that might mean something to your son in the real world? I know that might be a little difficult with the circumference of a circle. Unless the circle represents something tangible to him, so he might get actually interested in the answer.

If that explanation made any sense - that's about as coherent as I get on Monday morning.

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Roguesgirl

They had "practices" and each kid had to bring a snack, I gave him "nerds" and "smarties". LOL

Awww man! That's one for the books! HAHAHAHA!!! :D

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Susie, is there any way you can put the math problems in a context that might mean something to your son in the real world? I know that might be a little difficult with the circumference of a circle. Unless the circle represents something tangible to him, so he might get actually interested in the answer.

If that explanation made any sense - that's about as coherent as I get on Monday morning.

Thanks FORD. This is just what the text book is saying....there is one math problem that goes like this in it:

The first Ferris wheel was built for the 1893 Worlds Columbian Exposition in Chicago. It had a radius of 125 feet, weighed 1200 tons, and held about 2100 people. For 50 cents, fairgoers could ride the Ferris wheel for twenty minutes. How far did the passengers travel on each revolution?

I skipped this damn one and went on to dividing fractions with the kid. I can't believe I don't understand this shit!:rolleyes:

Ally_Kat
04-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Suzie, they just threw in extra shit to confuse you. All you need is that radius, which is 125 ft.

double it -- 125 + 125 = 250 ft = the diameter

Now multiply it by pi.

3.14 * 250 ft = 785 ft.

Bam. Answer = 785 ft.

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Suzie, they just threw in extra shit to confuse you. All you need is that radius, which is 125 ft.

double it -- 125 + 125 = 250 ft = the diameter

Now multiply it by pi.

3.14 * 250 ft = 785 ft.

Bam. Answer = 785 ft.

Ally when it comes time....you need to bus yourself up here and sit next to the boy during finals ;):p

Ally_Kat
04-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Pizza! It came up mostly in fractions, but the teacher would bring it up with area and circumference, too.

Randomly it would also be a basketball or a hockey puck.

Ally_Kat
04-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Ally when it comes time....you need to bus yourself up here and sit next to the boy during finals ;):p

Suzie, do you need someone to explain circumference or is it that you are just having trouble teaching it to the boy?

Hell, I'd offer explaining it to him on the ol' instant messenger if ya want. We'll call it practice for my education degree ;)

ThrillsNSpills
04-11-2005, 02:02 PM
It sounds like it would be easier to teach him Hagar math.

Just multiply everything by 2 .

lol

Matt White
04-11-2005, 02:05 PM

True.

BUt on a job site, one is required to think on the fly. And calculators tend to get crushed or forgotten in the work trailer.:D

FORD
04-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Pizza! It came up mostly in fractions, but the teacher would bring it up with area and circumference, too.

Randomly it would also be a basketball or a hockey puck.

A Basketball is a sphere, not a circle. Pizza would work as a circle, but as you said, since pizza is usually divided by fractions, it's a better model for that. Besides, when you order a pizza, they usually tell you the circumference ahead of time, since it's how they measure small, medium, large, or whatever they call it.

Susie Q
04-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Suzie, do you need someone to explain circumference or is it that you are just having trouble teaching it to the boy?

Hell, I'd offer explaining it to him on the ol' instant messenger if ya want. We'll call it practice for my education degree ;)

Thanks for the offer Ally....I have to get resigned up to chat again, as hubby likes to wipe out computer a lot. Which in turn wipes out most of my stuff on here....:rolleyes:

Dr. Love
04-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Here. This will help you.

http://www.math.com/

Ally_Kat
04-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the offer Ally....I have to get resigned up to chat again, as hubby likes to wipe out computer a lot. Which in turn wipes out most of my stuff on here....:rolleyes:

I'm not computer genius, but if you made your own login name with your own password (make it something completely different than anything else you have and something he would never guess) for windows, wouldn't that keep your stuff intact?

Dr. Love
04-12-2005, 05:58 PM
No, but I bet the INS could help