PDA

View Full Version : Allan Holdsworth

Soul Reaper
04-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Following up from flappo's Jeff Beck thread. This guy is also a genius. I actually like him more than Beck. His technique and chops are outstanding. He's a ridiculous guitar player.

Any chance that anyone could send me any Holdsworth mp3s?!

Devil take The Hindmost would be cool because I heard there was some awesome guitar playing on it.

Soul Reaper
04-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Gambale
"I saw Allan play last night at the Baked Potato and I must say that, without a doubt, he is truly The Grand Master..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Lane
"I saw Allan Holdsworth when I was about 14 in 1978. I never dreamed a guitar could be played like that and that really changed my whole life.

If I hadn't had seen Holdsworth I may have just continued to play some blues and rock music and might have even given it up later or something,

but when I saw him at 14, that really inspired me to try to play guitar in my own way at another level."

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McLaughlin
"I recall a concert of Allan in London some years ago, and after the performance I went to see him backstage only to tell him that if I knew what he was doing, I'd steal it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngwie Malmsteen
"Allan Holdsworth also has a strong style. A long time ago, Jens took me to see him in a small club in New York. I had to take my hat off to him."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Metheny
"I totally agree that Allan is one of the greatest guitarists ever - his work on the mid-70's Tony Williams records was revolutionary and changed everything for guitarists everywhere. It is a real mystery to me why he is not a household name. but it really doesn't matter, his contribution is large and i think all musicians know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morse
"His influence is just that he's such a drastic unyielding individual. You know, 'I'm going to do my thing and I'm going to do it the best I can."

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Petrucci
"There's so many great guitar players. Al DiMeola, Alan Holdsworth, Mike Stern, John Scofield, so many great players..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Santana
"He has something totally beautiful..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Satriani
"You know, I should say at the beginning, a big difference between me and Allan is that I built on stuff that Allan pioneered, and in a small way (chuckles) I tried to assimilate a lot of what he did on the guitar technically. So it's very different. His musicianship was so far ahead of mine when I was starting out, looking at books and picking out scales and stuff;

Allan was in a stage where he was constantly reinventing guitar, and I was a fan in the audience, you know what I mean?

So I'd have to say in all honesty, I've taken from Allan Holdsworth, and tried to figure out, "How can I use what this guy has done to further what I'm trying to say?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Vai
Steve Vai did an article entitled "Guitar Secrets" - "Pull off and Hammer-on" in Guitar Power magazine in May 1986 and explaining the "legato" technique with examples he says ...

"Allan Holdsworth is a master of playing this style."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Halen
"Holdsworth is the best in my book. He's fantastic. I love him."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa
Q: Was there ever a practitioner of the guitar - Hendrix say - that blew you away in terms of being a total original?

FZ: "One of the most interesting guys on guitar on the planet is Allan Holdsworth. I really respect his playing."

nosuchluck
04-11-2005, 03:19 PM
good thread. even better guitarist...

his chops never fail to floor me...

nosuchluck
04-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Devil take the Hindmost has some unreal playing!
insanity at its best

Soul Reaper
04-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Is there anywhere where I can get free Holdsworth mp3s?

nosuchluck
04-14-2005, 05:07 AM
PM me ur email address and i'll send u some by the end of the week.

fryingdutchman
04-14-2005, 06:33 AM
Holdsworth is amazing.

"Metal Fatigue" is a great album.

Also love the credits on that album- where he names "Mac Hine" for some of the drum work!