PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your pick when you tap?

UGS
04-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Some guys keep it between the thumb and index and either tap with the pick, or use their middle finger to tap.

I've heard of other guys who palm the pick and tap with the index.

Personally, I don't like the sound of tapping with a pick, even tho guys like Satch and Randy Rhoads have done it quite well. I can't use my middle finger b/c i busted it a few years ago playing basketball.

I just put the pick between my teeth and tap with my index. It's slow getting it back into my hand, but I guess it's just bad habit. What does everyone here do?

GAR
04-11-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't change a thing, I hold the pick with the thumb and middle finger always have.

GAR
04-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Now that I think about it, I curl the pick to my index and tap with the middle finger, then roll the pick back.

Depends probably.

Tapping for harmonic notes with the index AND the middle, I probably curl the pick between the thumb and ring finger.

Panamark
04-12-2005, 01:13 AM
Great question, and its something I only realized recently that I did unconciously. Same as when I do string picking with my fingers, I
Flip the pick under my third or fourth finger (which is slightly bent)
and when needed again I somehow just grab it back between
my thumb and index finger..

I never miss a beat, and I never realized I was doing this until
recently when my girlfriend asked about it...

I bet heaps of you guys do this too !

Matt White
04-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Pick gets palmed!

Second nature now, after a couple of decades!:)

BrownSound1
04-12-2005, 02:03 AM
Damn...you guys are right I never really thought about it until now. I do it like Matt does I guess. I do remember when I was first learning, and I would stick the pick in my mouth, but I guess over time I developed the "hide-a-pick" technique. ;)

The Scatologist
04-12-2005, 05:24 AM
I do what I'm feeling like doing.

Mouth, use your middle finger, hide in palm, stick on the double sided tape on my guitar, etc etc

Mr Grimsdale
04-12-2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

what? ask your girlfriend?

ooh no missusno!

i don't change a thing, i hold the pick between the thumb and first finger and tap with the middle

the only other thing is rather than try a hammer on from nowhere i use my ring finger to pick the string - i picked this up from an interview with reb beach in my first ever guitar mag

Panamark
04-12-2005, 07:54 AM
So what do you do with the pick when you wanna do some classical fingerpicking string work Grimmy ??

Mr Grimsdale
04-12-2005, 08:37 AM
drop it

Mr Grimsdale
04-12-2005, 08:38 AM
i think i put it in my mouth

...the pick
THE PICK

Seshmeister
04-12-2005, 08:43 AM

She asked you to do it to her?

Ooof!

Hardrock69
04-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Pick gets palmed in my case.

Jimi hendrix did some tapping once....I remember hearing it somewhere amongs the hundreds of hours of Hendrix stuff I have heard.

Terry Kath of Chicago did some false harmonic tapping on their early hit "Beginnings".

Hardrock69
04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Oh and here is something kinda relevant. Chicago opened for Hendrix in April 1969 at the L.A. Forum. It was one of their first big gigs in L.A.

Just before the last song of Hendrix's set, someone in the crowd yells out something like "Fuck You Jimi!"

And so Jimi, being the funny guy that he is replies "Hey I wish I could, you know, but right now I just can't...."

Then his guitar SAID "Fuck YOU, motherfucker"!!!!

I swear it does say that! I first found out about this reading a Hendrix biography. I paused for a moment as I realized I had that very show on CD. So I got it out, and no fucking shit....he made his guitar talk with a human voice. And no, Jimi was not speaking intot he microphone or the pickups.

Really amazing...

kentuckyklira
04-12-2005, 02:22 PM
I keep the pic between thumb and index, and tap with middle finger, ring finger and pinky.

Don Corleone
04-12-2005, 03:46 PM
I usually just palm it. If I'm doing something like the Mean Streets intro, then I put it in my mouth.

GAR
04-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
.. stick on the double sided tape on my guitar, etc etc

So some people really do that, then..

AND I think the first time I saw someone stick a pick in his mouth like that was the videoclip of Bart Walsh, Dallas '99 doing "Mean Street" intro.

I felt like, waaat?

Did EVH do it like that? Putting it into his mouth..

I mean the pick.

THE pick of course!

GAR
04-12-2005, 04:35 PM
EVH puts alot of things into his mouth from what I understand, lets not rule out a guitar pick.

UGS
04-12-2005, 05:31 PM
In the US Festival video, he's got the pick in his mouth when he does Mean Street during one of his solo spots. In general from what I've seen, he either mouths the pick, or tosses it and grabs another off the tape on the guitar.

Reverberator
04-12-2005, 07:01 PM
I stick it up my arse .

GAR
04-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks for weighing in on the subject REV.

Nitro Express
04-13-2005, 04:00 AM
I quickly lick the pick and stick it up on my forehead like Michael Anthony does and when I'm done tapping, I quickly grab it again.

Panamark
04-13-2005, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
She asked you to do it to her?

Ooof!

Cheeky Sod !
:p

Cathedral
04-13-2005, 04:49 AM
So what do you do with the pick when you wanna do some classical fingerpicking string work Grimmy ??

I use the Matt White Technique to tap also, lol.

But if i'm playing live i zing the pick into the crowd like a Rock Star before finger picking, then grab a fresh pick to resume standard playing.
I used to order my picks with my name on them cause i though that maybe, just maybe i'd get somewhere.....didn't happen, all i got was a T-shirt and a wife.

Mr Grimsdale
04-13-2005, 03:17 PM
cat has the right attitude there

playing live you HAVE to throw the pick into the adoring masses... in my case i make sure they're inflated first

GAR
04-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Inflated as opposed to sucked dry at $40 USD per teeshirt.

- youre a generous lot you are!

Leave a Grimsdale show and have a fatter wallet than whatcha come in with. I kinda like that. That way I wouldn't have to get outta bed to sign my welfare check.

RIGHT

TOTAL~!!

Matt White
04-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I used to order my picks with my name on them cause i though that maybe, just maybe i'd get somewhere.....didn't happen, all i got was a T-shirt and a wife.

:( ALL I GOT WAS A STD!!!:mad:

"Why does it burn when I pee?!?"

Cathedral
04-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
:( ALL I GOT WAS A STD!!!:mad:

"Why does it burn when I pee?!?"

Man, I hope you are joking about the STD.

We had a singer way back when who had Herpes and he was the lowest form of scum on earth.
He would bang anything and never mention his 'problem' to the ladies.

He was the reason i never did one night stands with drunken chicks after gigs. Having to load out the equipment made it easier because by 5am the drunken ho's were passed out.

I collected numbers and watched the interesting one's to see that they at least had some self respect for a few weeks before calling them.

I found one who was considered a tease. she just liked to get high for free and never put out, pissed off a lot of guys....I married her. :)

Cat ain't no damn fool and i know my cock is brainless.
Pussy feels great for a few hours, but disease is forever and in some cases, deadly.

Matt White
04-14-2005, 11:02 AM
:D I KEED! I KEED!

I'm no fool, I vulcanized my tool!:D

nosuchluck
04-14-2005, 12:49 PM
i usually tap with my middle finger or sometimes hold the pick with my thumb and middle finger and tap with the index.

i usually play bass anyway for which i don't use a pick.

kentuckyklira
04-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Pussy feels great for a few hours, but disease is forever and in some cases, deadly. Golden rule,

CONDOMS!

My collection of STDs could fill a book back in the 80s. Luckily, nothing deadly or thet I would keep forever!

(insert smiley wiping the sweat off its forehead here)

ASDF125250
04-16-2005, 08:02 PM
I do it the matt white style minus the herpes!

Jahuli
08-17-2005, 03:39 AM
doesn't anyone use their pick to tap? I know I do!

GAR
08-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Nope! Thumb and middle finger, or if a two-finger hammeron comes up I'll slide it to the ring finger and cup it with ring, pinky and pawpad so my middle and index fingers are free.