PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Lewis Indicted On federal Drug Charges

ALinChainz
02-25-2004, 05:06 PM
By ELLIOTT McLAUGHLIN, Associated Press Writer

February 25, 2004

ATLANTA (AP) -- Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis, who had the second-highest rushing total in NFL history last season, was indicted Wednesday on federal drug charges.

The Atlanta native is accused of conspiring to distribute cocaine in 2000, U.S. Attorney William S. Duffey announced at a news conference.

knuckleboner
02-25-2004, 05:09 PM
ravens will be thinking twice about letting priest holmes go, huh?

ALinChainz
02-25-2004, 05:18 PM
A little follow up to it.

=================================

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

News

Ravens running back Jamal Lewis, who rushed for 2,066 yards last season and set the NFL single-game rushing record with a 295-yard effort against Cleveland, was indicted by a federal grand jury in Atlanta on drug conspiracy charges. The indictment, unsealed at 4:00 p.m. February 25, charges Lewis with one count of conspiracy to intentionally possess with the intent to distribute cocaine. A second count charges Lewis with using a cell phone to carry out the conspiracy. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the indictment states that the conspiracy involved "at least 5 kilograms of a mixture and substance containing a detectable amount of cocaine." Lewis, who graduated from high school in Atlanta, is being represented by the same attorneys who handled the Ray Lewis trial in 2000. One of those attorneys, Ed Garland, told the Journal-Constitution Wednesday, "Jamal Lewis denies any involvement in any criminal activity or any activity involving drugs."

Views

Lewis' attorney said he would surrender to authorities and appear in court at a later date. There is plenty of time for this matter to be resolved before the season starts, but the threat of jail time is not exactly something you want your star running back to be facing during the offseason. Jamal is already a participant in the NFL's substance abuse program, having been suspended for four games in 2001 for violation of the league's policy, so that may come into play as well.

Sucka
02-25-2004, 06:10 PM
This is my first post so let me say hey too all you fellas and I look forward too talkin sports with ya, which is somethin I do regularly over at the Forums.

Anyways, I think that in a way this could be good for the Ravens cause atleast they found out before the draft. Maybe they'll take a run at Clarett or another back in the '04 draft classs. Who knows.

It is rather idiotic for a pro athlete too be involved in narcotics though. I dont get this one.

Troy
02-25-2004, 07:10 PM
I guess nothing can suprise us with atheletes nowadays.

DLR7884
02-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Why would the Ravens want to make a run at Clarett?

You are nuts if you think he'll go in the 1st round and even crazier if you think he is going to start (and last ) next season.

DLR7884
So Lewis moved from pot to coke? Nice.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Sucka
This is my first post so let me say hey too all you fellas and I look forward too talkin sports with ya, which is somethin I do regularly over at the Forums.

You don't mean the Samuel Hagar Forums, do ya ??? ;)

J/K bro, welcome....

Hey, for all you druggies out there, just how much coke is 5 kilograms ??

And please, don't say "it's 5 kilograms worth idiot"..... :D

rustoffa
02-25-2004, 09:08 PM
What about Mcnair drinkin' and drivin'?Bad day for the ol' AFC eh?My Raiders are too busy re-loading to get drunk and sell drugs yo.

Sarge
02-25-2004, 09:09 PM
what an idiot.
Like he doesn't have enough money already

Sucka
02-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Why would the Ravens want to make a run at Clarett?

You are nuts if you think he'll go in the 1st round and even crazier if you think he is going to start (and last ) next season.

DLR7884
So Lewis moved from pot to coke? Nice.

I never said that Clarett is going to go that high in the draft, but you did point out what I was trying too infer.

The fact that you dont have too spend a high pick on him is excatly why he might be an option for them. If he pans out you come out looking like a genius, if he doesnt then atleast you didnt have too spend a high pick too get him.

For the record though, I dont think he'll be a productive NFL player. He's very undersized, and he only runs like a 4.7.

livendallas
02-25-2004, 10:03 PM
JAMAL LEWIS BETTER BE GLAD HE DON'T LIVE IN MICHIGAN! 5 KILOGRAMS OR AN 8 OR A GRAM WILL GET YA LIFE IN PRISON. SEVERAL YEARS AGO MICHIGAN PASSED WHAT WAS A LIFER LAW,WHICH MEANS GET CAUGHT , KISS IT GOOD BYE! DON'T MESS THAT CRAP ,STICK NATURE'S WONDERFUL PLANT, BUT HEY DO NOT BE LIKE BIG NATE OF THE DALLAS COWBOYS, HE GOT NINE YEARS FOR 250# OF THE WEED . IT IS BETTER TO BE DRUNK[AT HOME]THAN BE ON THE ROAD WITH COKE.