PDA

View Full Version : CVH vs EEAS

JimboGun11
04-15-2005, 02:47 AM
Do you think that early Dave solo could have been better than CVH if the timing had been right and they would have had move albums together? To tell you the truth, I like Skyscraper as much, if not more than, the six pack.

Cato
04-15-2005, 05:06 AM
sorry I don't know what EAAS is. uh uhh

DlocRoth
04-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by JimboGun11
Do you think that early Dave solo could have been better than CVH if the timing had been right and they would have had move albums together? To tell you the truth, I like Skyscraper as much, if not more than, the six pack.

They had nothing left.

Ed was goin synth.

Al only wanted to do a few shows.

Dave was just beginning to pick up steam. I mean early Van Halen rolled up everybody, but Dave from 86-89 or so kicked some MAJOR fucking ass.

The dude was on fire.

EVH and them couldnta kept up with it.

cwsmith17
04-15-2005, 01:31 PM
No.

Carmine
04-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by JimboGun11

Nope...the EEAS band was great and they blew VH away from 86-89 but they were no Classic VH!

cwsmith17
04-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
They had nothing left.

Ed was goin synth.

Al only wanted to do a few shows.

Dave was just beginning to pick up steam. I mean early Van Halen rolled up everybody, but Dave from 86-89 or so kicked some MAJOR fucking ass.

The dude was on fire.

EVH and them couldnta kept up with it.

What about the synths on Skyscraper.

Everyone thinks the issue is about synthesizers and they are only partially correct.

It isn't the synthesizer but how they are used.

5150 and on were synthesizers being abused. Where as Skyscraper was true art.

Ed/ Hagar was synthesizers used in a very cheesy way, but used properly synthesizers fakking rock!!!

Matt White
04-17-2005, 12:09 AM
The 6-PACK STAND ALONE. THE ROCK OF Gibraltar OF HARD ROCK.

DavidLeeNatra
04-17-2005, 10:12 AM
dave and vai was brilliant but dave and ed was magic...period...

Warham
04-17-2005, 10:44 AM
I can only take so much of Vai's playing.

I can listen to Ed forever.

Classic it is!

UGS
04-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
dave and vai was brilliant but dave and ed was magic...period...

That pretty much sums it up.

Soul Reaper
04-17-2005, 04:23 PM
DLR + Vai + Sheehan + Bissonette = Perfect combination which kicks MAJOR ass! especially SHEEP ass!

flappo
04-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
The 6-PACK STAND ALONE. THE ROCK OF Gibraltar OF HARD ROCK.

fuck that's right !

Casemeister
04-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Dave had some of the world's best musicians in the "EEAS Band," but are his first two solo albums better than the CVH stuff? In my opinion, no. Vai is great, but EVH is more interesting, I think. I enjoy EVH. I don't really enjoy Vai that much. Bissonnette is a fantastic drummer. He is better than Alex. Alex does the job, though, in CVH, where the drums don't always have to shine. As a band, it's hard to go past CVH. The material and the performance was always fantastic.

With that said, I like Dave's solo stuff... just not quite as much as CVH.

scottd1984
04-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by UGS
That pretty much sums it up.

I third that

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 02:35 PM
The level of musicianship was way higher on EEAS, especially with Vai and Sheehan. But you can't really beat Classic Van Halen for the great songs. 'Shyboy' was fantastic but I prefer 'Hot For Teacher' or 'Atomic Punk'.

Big Troubles
04-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I can only take so much of Vai's playing.

I can listen to Ed forever.

Classic it is!

I agree. Vai relies a bit too much on the wah IMO. Ed dazzles with a variety of sounds. Plus Vai is a speed freak, whereas ed uses a style that stands strong on each song. Each lick is very identifiable. All of Steve's shit sounds the same to me.

academic punk
04-22-2005, 08:59 PM
I think Dave himself benefitted from being in a BAND environment, and having to deal with other people's perspectives and egos.

With Vai and co. (and all of his subsequent bands) Dave called ALL the shots, b/c everyone else is just a hired hand. Ed was able to impose his will on the output much moreso than Vai ever had the right or ability. Plus, in the band situaiton you automatically will have a subconscious desire to impress your bandmates with your very best (if for no other reason, than to keep the concert spotlight shining on you rather than the bass player!!). That ain't gonna happen as much when the other guys are salaried employees.

Also, some people just shine brighter as part of a pack than solo. Could you imagine Bono as a solo act?

As Dave himself said, with him in VH, it's 97% Ed and 97% "moi". The total adds up to greater than the sum of its parts.

monkeythe
04-23-2005, 02:55 AM
I've enjoyed every Steve Vai album since he left Dave except the new one.
I haven't enjoyed an album with Eddie Van Halen since Dave left.

That should put to rest the Vai vs Eddie comparisons.

By the way, I enjoyed EEAS more than CVH because it shows the world where the real talent in Van HAlen was. I was more upset when I found out VAi left to join Whitesnake than when Dave went solo

DLR82VH
05-11-2005, 05:35 AM
I think EEAS is the 7th VH album and it went from there........can they hold up to the Six pack??? No way.

Great albums though

canadiandlrgirl
05-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
Nope...the EEAS band was great and they blew VH away from 86-89 but they were no Classic VH!

i agree........ steve vai just didn't have the fire that Dave and Eddie had, like carmine said EEAS blew anything Van hagar did away........and i like skyscraper as well, it has my fav Dave solo song on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Fat Sammy
05-11-2005, 12:29 PM
EEAS is the only DLR album that can hang w/ the 6 IMO

DavidLeeNatra
05-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy

not easy to compare the other albums with CVH as dave chose to go into totally different directions...

canadiandlrgirl
05-11-2005, 06:10 PM
:D it doesn't matter who plays guitar for Dave it's all good 'cause it all about Dave always has been and always will be...........it's just Eddie had more chemistry with Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!they ruled the world together.

canadiandlrgirl
05-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy

the DLR Band album can too.........that album kicked major ass!!!!!!!!!!

Big Fat Sammy
05-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Vai has grown on me as THE DLR guitar player. The others DLR guitarists (exepting Ed) kind of copy what Vai did, more so than Ed (exeption Brian Young)

Terry
05-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Gotta tell ya, I dig EEAS on the whole better than 1984.

Not trying to get into a "which one is better" deal, here. Can tell you that stuff on 1984 like the title track, Jump and I'll Wait I totally skip over when I listen to that album now, and Top Jimmy and Panama I'm only so-so about nowadays. So that leaves Hot For Teacher, Drop Dead Legs, Girl Gone Bad and House of Pain as the four tracks on 1984 I consider really smokin'.