PDA

View Full Version : Pat Tillman turns down an early discharge

POJO_Risin
04-17-2005, 03:04 PM
In January of 2004, Tillman turned down the chance to return to the NFL...saying he would either complete his 3 year commitment...or one more tour...which ever ended first.

Because he served in a war...he could file for discharge...and return to the NFL...

he declined...only to be killed by friendly fire apparently shooting at a friendly Afghani who was with Tillman and some other soldiers...

christ...just sad...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Well, without knowing the exact details, if he would have applied for discharge, the soldiers' opinion of him would have drastically diminished, IMO....

All along, he stated he was just another one of the guys...

And those guys don't have the priviledge of having an agent petition the Army to get themselves discharged....

So I give him credit (again) for doing the right thing, to fulfill his enlistment like everyone else....

POJO_Risin
04-17-2005, 08:21 PM
What's this they are talking about having a tour in battle...and being able to get a discharge? They made it sound like anyone could do it...which to be honest...doesn't sound right to me...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-17-2005, 09:44 PM
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say with an educated guess that it'd be some kind of intervention from his agent....

Cause like you said, if those rules were commonplace, there would be shitloads of them getting out....

alexpgrimes
04-17-2005, 11:53 PM
it was probably because of him being a celebrity. they wouldn't do that just for anybody.