PDA

View Full Version : Stone Temple Pilots

Marlowe01
04-17-2005, 09:51 PM
they deserve a thread...so let's discuss them. I have every one of their albums, except Tiny Music. One of my top 5 favorite bands, and easily my favorite of the grunge era. What are your thoughts?

UGS
04-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Each of their albums have a couple good songs, but way too much filler IMO. That said, their Greatest Hits album is awesome. I didn't realize how many good songs they had til I listened to it. Interstate Love Song is one of the best songs of the decade.

hamlet31
04-17-2005, 10:13 PM
I saw them six times (every one of their tours). I've seen them from the front row and the back row and was never disappointed. Hands down one of the best live acts in my lifetime.

UGS
04-17-2005, 10:17 PM
You must have seen them near the start of the tour. From what I heard, Weiland never stayed drug-free long enough to stay out of jail/rehab and finish a tour. And doing so, he unemployed 100s of people who worked for the band.

Rikk
04-17-2005, 10:40 PM
One of my very favorite bands of all-time. Just incredible. And in my opinion, they were NOT a filler band. The only album by them that I think contains some filler is the debut. The 4th album is probably my favorite, and SHANGRI-LA is also excellent...though it's a bit more adventurous and takes a few more listens to get into. Check out TOO COOL QUEENIE off that album. Great stuff. VATICAN GIFT-SHOP is also great, and ART SCHOOL GIRLFRIEND is a highlight off that album for me.

I was really upset when these guys broke up. And as much as I like VELVET REVOLVER, it's just not the same in any way.

Great thread idea!:)

hamlet31
04-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by UGS
You must have seen them near the start of the tour. From what I heard, Weiland never stayed drug-free long enough to stay out of jail/rehab and finish a tour. And doing so, he unemployed 100s of people who worked for the band.

I actually lucked out twice. I saw them in once Boston just two days before Scott got arested in NY. That was the Tiny Music tour. Then a couple years later I saw Scott in Mansfield, MA just a few days before another arrest.

Matt White
04-18-2005, 10:14 AM
STP KICK ASS.

Terry
04-19-2005, 09:01 AM
The only band that released albums post-1980s where I ended up buying every one. Didn't start really getting into them until I heard Tiny Music and Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart.

Never got to see them live in the flesh. DeLeo did some really interesting stuff, guitar-wise. Velvet Revolver is ok, but I'd just as soon STP were still together instead.

Great fuckin' band. Nice thread.

Golden AWe
04-19-2005, 10:07 AM
I think Tiny Music was a bit lame album...but I love all the others...especially the second and the last one. I've got a couple of bootleg videos as well, GRATE stuff...

Favorite songs? Interstate love song, Wicked garden, Glide and especially the superb...COMA. Fuckin' grate guitar solo on that one too.

They did a good job with those Doors-covers too!

DlocRoth
04-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Vaseline....

Wicked Garden...

Great fuckin band.

ThrillsNSpills
04-19-2005, 02:21 PM
There's 3 unreleased tracks from No. 4 floating around on the net.
One of them's called "You Can't drive me away" It's so good I can't believe it was cut from official release but at least it's out there.

Dave's Bitch
04-19-2005, 03:27 PM
i cant stand there singer,he sucks ass

PHOENIX
04-19-2005, 07:25 PM
One of the best bands of the 90's!

Rikk
04-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
There's 3 unreleased tracks from No. 4 floating around on the net.
One of them's called "You Can't drive me away" It's so good I can't believe it was cut from official release but at least it's out there.

I heard those. Great stuff. Kind of mellow, but that's very cool with them. I also can't believe they were cut.

Rikk
04-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Sammy's Bitch

Yeah. Definitely not the same singing quality one gets on classic albums like VOA or MARCHING TO SHIT.:rolleyes:

Warham
04-19-2005, 09:26 PM

:rolleyes:

Golden AWe
04-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Sucking cocaine and putting a needle in you does suck ass...let's be positive and hope that is what the kid meant...doesn't affect the singing skills though...

monkeythe
04-23-2005, 02:37 AM
I always thought they got a bum rap with the Pearl Jam rip off comments that plagued them in the beginning of their career. I enjoyed that they evolved as a band from album to album.
I never heard their solo projects between the third and 4th albums and am wondering if they're worth purchasing

DLR7884
04-23-2005, 02:50 PM

"THEIR."

You dumb cunt.

DLR7884
I fucking hate you more than Katydid at this point.

Mezro
04-23-2005, 04:20 PM
STP do it for me.

Mezro...one of the best bands of the 90's...

DeadOrAlive
04-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeah this band was great... Meat Plow was a personal favorite tune of mine...