PDA

View Full Version : Germany's new 'great depression'

BigBadBrian
04-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Germany's new 'great depression'

Vast swathes of German office space now stand empty
Record numbers of Germans are suffering from depression and other mental illnesses, a new report says.
According to the research, by a German health insurance firm, cases of depression among Berliners have risen by 70% since 1997.

Up to 70% of Germans also say they are prepared to seek professional help for psychological problems.

Mental health experts blamed the rise on Germany's faltering economy, which has seen unemployment rise to over 5m.

German insurance firm DAK surveyed 2.6m employed Germans in an effort to discover the impact depression is having on modern working patterns.

How will someone ever get better when they know their boss is just waiting to fire them?

Burghard Klopp
Charité Hospital, Berlin
Among the respondents were 90,000 people working in Berlin, where treatment is widely available.

In contrast, fewer people reported feeling low in Germany's eastern states, where jobs and security are increasingly scarce, but mental health treatment is rarer and some taboos still exist.

Vicious circle

Workers in Germany's capital, regarded as one of Europe's most vibrant modern cities, emerged as an unhappy bunch more likely to miss work through depression than for any other reason.

Nationally, mental health problems were the fourth most common cause of absence from work, behind back pain, colds and flu and personal injury.

"In times of economic insecurity, young people in particular tend to develop psychological problems in response to professional and private obstacles," said DAK's Chief Executive Herbert Rebscher.

The report also blames modern working culture for the rise, especially among young people, although increasing numbers of elderly Germans also say they suffer from some form of psychological illness.

Psychological problems in men between 25 and 29 and women between 20 and 24 have doubled, the DAK reports says.

Nevertheless, most respondents said they would rather be depressed with a job than unemployed and happy.

"How will someone ever get better," Burghard Klopp, a depression expert at Berlin's Charité hospital, told German broadcaster Deutsche Welle, "when they know their boss is just waiting to fire them?"

LINK (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4456087.stm)

kentuckyklira
04-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Germany's new 'great depression'

Germany's faltering economy, which has seen unemployment rise to over 5m.

LINK (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4456087.stm) You didn´t understand it when me and Nick tried to explain the true facts behind this last time, I doubt you wouold now.

Maybe, if you have any friends in real life, and if one of them is actually studying economics, you might, after quite a while, grasp it!

BigBadBrian
04-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
You didn´t understand it when me and Nick tried to explain the true facts behind this last time, I doubt you wouold now.

Maybe, if you have any friends in real life, and if one of them is actually studying economics, you might, after quite a while, grasp it!

You are quite probably underqualified to explain it to me, Adolf. As a matter of fact, I'm sure of it from your explanation the last time.

Besides, if you will take time to notice the thread is from a BBC ARTICLE, not my own words, dumbass.

Thank you and have a nice day. :)

Nickdfresh
04-18-2005, 11:13 PM
You are quite probably underqualified to explain it to me, Adolf. As a matter of fact, I'm sure of it from your explanation the last time.

Besides, if you will take time to notice the thread is from a BBC ARTICLE, not my own words, dumbass.

Thank you and have a nice day. :)

Let's see, if you are unemployed in The Federal Republic of Germany, you receive benefits until you find a job and remain a statistic on the unemployment rolls.

In America, you receive benefits for six-months, and are no longer counted as unemployed when the benefits run out! Therefore the US unemployment figures are drastically under reported. Is it really that difficult BigBLunder?:rolleyes:

vanzilla
04-19-2005, 02:15 AM
Brian, is your mail order bride German?

Warham
04-19-2005, 06:47 AM
I don't think that's quite how it works.

kentuckyklira
04-19-2005, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Let's see, if you are unemployed in The Federal Republic of Germany, you receive benefits until you find a job and remain a statistic on the unemployment rolls.

In America, you receive benefits for six-months, and are no longer counted as unemployed when the benefits run out! Therefore the US unemployment figures are drastically under reported. Is it really that difficult BigBLunder?:rolleyes: Plain, simple and clear English, and he still doesn´t understand it, AGAIN!!

How the fuck did he ever make it to college??:confused:

kentuckyklira
04-19-2005, 07:03 AM

Thank you and have a nice day. :) You accuse me of bad debating skills, yet you can´t come up with a single comeback without a nazi reference!!:p

Plus, as opposed to you, I have a university degree in economics from one of Germany´s best universities (Cologne), so I´ll just assume you didn´t even come close to understanding my explanation the last time.

Furthermore, what fucking difference does it make if the article is from the BBC?? The BBC didn´t post it here, you did! And, since I´ll at least grant you mental capacity above that of a three year old, I take it you don´t do things at random. Therefore you must have posted it with a purpose.

In future, you could at least be polite enough to only c&p stuff you´ve read AND understood.

BigBadBrian
04-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Warham
I don't think that's quite how it works.

It's not, Warham. You are correct, as usual.

Nick is incorrect, as usual.

As usual, the Liberals have resorted to lying, distoring the facts, and childish, immature name-calling.

God, I actually pity those scumbags. :(

steve
04-19-2005, 08:35 AM
This is kind of a blurb article...it doesn't get too deep.

Some points that could be added:
1. W Germany absorbed E. Germany...imagine if the United States absorbed Mexico, we'd have problems for a while too.
2. People are popping more and more pills for depression all over the developed world, not just in Germany. 1/2 the girls I know have used some type of anti-depressant.

BigBadBrian
04-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by steve
1/2 the girls I know have used some type of anti-depressant.

OK Steve, I'm not bust your chops here, but you left yourself wide open on this one. :D ;)

Nickdfresh
04-19-2005, 08:39 AM
It's not, Warham. You are correct, as usual.

Nick is incorrect, as usual.

As usual, the Liberals have resorted to lying, distoring the facts, and childish, immature name-calling.

God, I actually pity those scumbags. :(

Really? How am I "incorrect?" No, you just don't have a leg to stand on with facts or logic!

BTW, if we want to talk about childish, let's talk about your retarded bulldozer sig that celebrates death. Maybe I can make up and abortion animation!

BigBadBrian
04-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Really? How am I "incorrect?" No, you just don't have a leg to stand on with facts or logic!

BTW, if we want to talk about childish, let's talk about your retarded bulldozer sig that celebrates death. Maybe I can make up and abortion animation!

The government simply doesn't calculate the unemployment statistics as you suggest.

Also, the bulldozer emoticon has been out of my sig for over a week now. You are a day late and a dollar short....AGAIN! :D

kentuckyklira
04-19-2005, 09:49 AM
The government simply doesn't calculate the unemployment statistics as you suggest.

Also, the bulldozer emoticon has been out of my sig for over a week now. You are a day late and a dollar short....AGAIN! :D Why don´t you re-read the article on the same topic - I believe - you posted some time ago? It was pretty clearly and simply explained there!

BTW, what´s an ambitious college-kid like you doing trolling an internet forum instead of attending class at this time of day on a tuesday??

steve
04-19-2005, 10:59 AM
OK Steve, I'm not bust your chops here, but you left yourself wide open on this one. :D ;)

True dat, holmes.

but I think about 1/2 the women in America on are on or have been on anti-depressants. I was just sampling. Ask around - women be crazy.

BigBadBrian
04-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Why don´t you re-read the article on the same topic - I believe - you posted some time ago? It was pretty clearly and simply explained there!

BTW, what´s an ambitious college-kid like you doing trolling an internet forum instead of attending class at this time of day on a tuesday??

For MBA programs, most classes are in the evening. :p

Big Train
04-19-2005, 11:20 PM
No matter how they count it, the German economy is FUCKED UP...how's that for facts? Anyone care to disagree?

We have our problems too, but it's a global economy now bitches, whats bad for us is worse for China and Europe. China may own a lot of US debt, but without the trade imbalance to fuel their growth, they are just as prone to recession, job loss etc.. as we are.

kentuckyklira
04-20-2005, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
No matter how they count it, the German economy is FUCKED UP...how's that for facts? Anyone care to disagree?

We have our problems too, but it's a global economy now bitches, whats bad for us is worse for China and Europe. China may own a lot of US debt, but without the trade imbalance to fuel their growth, they are just as prone to recession, job loss etc.. as we are. I wouldn´t say "fucked up", but we could certainly do better.

The economy of a society with a huge trade surplus and without a growing population and workforce isn´t "fucked up" with a 1,5% growth rate.

I´ll admit openly, that we´ve got other problems that could easily be solved if our growth rate was a bit higher.

Nickdfresh
04-20-2005, 10:54 PM
I wouldn´t say "fucked up", but we could certainly do better.

The economy of a society with a huge trade surplus and without a growing population and workforce isn´t "fucked up" with a 1,5% growth rate.

I´ll admit openly, that we´ve got other problems that could easily be solved if our growth rate was a bit higher.

My brother and I golfed with a German guy over the summer. He was an older travelling salesman, and really nice dude, and played one-hell of a game:eek: !

But he said Germany "was expensive as hell!" And that he really enjoined recreational stuff in the US because it was so much cheaper.

kentuckyklira
04-21-2005, 04:41 AM
My brother and I golfed with a German guy over the summer. He was an older travelling salesman, and really nice dude, and played one-hell of a game:eek: !

But he said Germany "was expensive as hell!" And that he really enjoined recreational stuff in the US because it was so much cheaper. 10$ hookers!