PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night Football moving to ESPN

Bob_R
04-18-2005, 08:41 PM
I've had cable for 9 million years. What about the people that don't?

This move is bullshit!

NEW YORK (AP) - "Monday Night Football," a television institution that over 35 years has helped transform the NFL into a prime-time ratings draw, is leaving ABC and moving to ESPN beginning with the 2006 season.

The new broadcast deal also brings the NFL to NBC for the first time in six years. The network gets the Sunday night package - which the league now considers its marquee television showcase - and will employ a flexible scheduling model.
"In the current media environment, Sunday is now the better night for our prime-time broadcast package," commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Monday.

The move to ESPN, which currently broadcasts Sunday night games, keeps the Monday Night Football brand within the umbrella of The Disney Company. Disney owns both ESPN and ABC.

After the coming season, ABC, which reshaped sports broadcasting by turning the NFL into a prime-time ratings draw, will be the only major network not to carry it. "Monday Night Football" has been a pillar of ABC since it began in 1970, when Howard Cosell anchored the show that now stands as the second-longest running prime time network series, trailing CBS's 60 Minutes by two years.

NBC will start its Sunday broadcasts with a pregame show at 7 p.m. eastern; games will begin at 8:15. The network plans to use a flexible scheduling model that in the last seven weeks, allowing it to shift afternoon games to prime time to ensure more meaningful games are shown on national TV.

The Monday night move to basic cable, which includes an earlier start time of 8:40 p.m., is expected to cost ESPN - which previously broadcast Sunday night games - $1.1 billion a year over eight years, two sources familiar with the deals told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

"The earlier kickoff times for both packages, NBC's Sunday night programming devoted to the NFL and flexible scheduling for Sunday night are all positive changes," Tagliabue said.

NBC will get the Sunday night package for $600 million a year over six years, according to the sources. The network will also get the Super Bowl in 2009 and 2012 as part of the deal.

ESPN said it had been assured by the league that it would get high-quality games in keeping with the tradition of Monday night football.

"ESPN could have stayed on Sunday night," ESPN vice president Mark Shapiro said. "Unequivocally our task was to continue ABC's tradition of Monday Night Football. We've been assured we're getting the preferred schedule."

Added George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports: "From the Disney perspective, it was a smart move for ABC by moving out of football and having ESPN move into Monday nights."

"Monday Night Football" had its highest-rated broadcast in 1985 with a 29.6, or a 46 share, for a game between the then-unbeaten Chicago Bears and Miami Dolphins.

"A great deal with the NFL is the best deal you can get in television," said NBC sports chairman Dick Ebersol, who said NBC only began negotiating with the NFL last Friday after ABC, which had the option on the prime-time broadcasts until Oct. 31, relinquished it after talks with the league.

He said the network hasn't started working on finding anchors for the Sunday night broadcast. "We're celebrating for a day. Then I'm sure we'll get a lot of calls."

Last month, Tagliabue said during the NFL meetings in Hawaii that the Monday night move was a strong possibility. ABC, which has been losing money on the package despite high ratings, had been balking at the NFL's asking price.

NBC has been struggling in prime-time this season, and even risks an unprecedented fall into fourth place in the ratings. ABC's newfound ratings strength with "Desperate Housewives" on Sunday nights has been particularly damaging. NBC says it will devote its entire Sunday night prime-time lineup to the NFL.

CBS and Fox already have agreed to pay a total of $8 billion over six years for the rights to Sunday afternoon games.

The NFL is still considering an eight game late-season package of Thursday and Saturday night games on cable and satellite. Tagliabue has said the NFL's own new network could show some or all of those games.

The NFL will continue to show all cable games on free, over-the air television in home markets. That means that local stations will carry ESPN's Monday night games in the cities of the teams involved.

vanzilla
04-18-2005, 08:59 PM
I work at an ABC affiliate. This sucks ass for us, considering we produce the Titans coach's show that is a lead in for MNF. I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans now move to another station after their contract is up with us.

This all boils down to Michael Eisner not giving a fuck about ABC. Until he leaves it will continue to be an also-ran network.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-18-2005, 10:02 PM
NOW'S THE TIME !!!

Someone quick, change the locks to the booths so Theismann can't get in there anymore !!!!! ;)

DlocRoth
04-18-2005, 11:12 PM
See ya.

Ahhh... just don't let Boomer anywhere near there.

VHdamaco
04-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
NOW'S THE TIME !!!

Someone quick, change the locks to the booths so Theismann can't get in there anymore !!!!! ;)

lol...

whats wrong with theismann? i don't mind his commentary (but then again, being a skins fan im probably biased)

twonabomber
04-19-2005, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by vanzilla
I work at an ABC affiliate. This sucks ass for us, considering we produce the Titans coach's show that is a lead in for MNF. I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans now move to another station after their contract is up with us.

do you carry the Titans games when they're on ESPN Sunday nights? our local ABC station gets the ESPN Browns games.

BigBadBrian
04-19-2005, 08:26 AM

Better start job looking now. :D

Va Beach VH Fan
04-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by VHdamaco
lol...

whats wrong with theismann? i don't mind his commentary (but then again, being a skins fan im probably biased)

LOL, yeah, no bias there....

Are you serious ?? Theismann and Salisbury are equally intolerable...

Rather than commentating on the game or whatever they're doing at the time, they constantly lecture the viewers on what the players MUST do, as if they're word is golden....

That's my "detailed" answer, the dumbed-down version, for Theismann specifically, is that he never shuts the fuck up....

MAX
04-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Ughhhhhhh.................

I cannot friggin' stand the Sunday Night crew on ESPN. They're the worst.

redblkwht
04-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Ill be the first to say, Madden
needs to retire..
back in the day props, his time
is due.
ESPN should do away with the
booth & bring in a new regime..
I see them making it happen too.

MAX
04-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Bro,

Who do you see them bringing in? I still like Madden. Even though I think Al Michaels is great, I always liked the pairing of Madden and Summeral better. Dan Deirdorf sucks too.

redblkwht
04-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Its just terrible now seeing Madden slip up plays & stupid shit he talks about.
I see a college type espn
atmosphere(pre game & during game, breakdowns &
presentation)

If your into that hype like i am.
I will tell you it'll be done right, their in good hands, MNF
that is.
ESPN is the shit period.

redblkwht
04-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Max can we sticky that aussy football thread? LMAO ;)

MAX
04-20-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by redblkwht
Max can we sticky that aussy football thread? LMAO ;)

LMAO!!!

I love ESPN, I hate Stuart Scott though.

Yeah, I kind of agree with Madden. It just sucks to see so many old football standby's fade away. I'm still in mourning when MNF got rid of Cosell and Don Merideth. Those three were the shit. I wish they would put that stuff on DVD.

Poj will smack me for saying this but I think Phil Simms is a good caller. There are so many bad ones though.

redblkwht
04-20-2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by MAX
LMAO!!!

I love ESPN, I hate Stuart Scott though.

Yeah, I kind of agree with Madden. It just sucks to see so many old football standby's fade away. I'm still in mourning when MNF got rid of Cosell and Don Merideth. Those three were the shit. I wish they would put that stuff on DVD.

Poj will smack me for saying this but I think Phil Simms is a good caller. There are so many bad ones though.
Hell ill do one better, i dug OJ in the booth too..im dead serious.

vanzilla
04-20-2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
do you carry the Titans games when they're on ESPN Sunday nights? our local ABC station gets the ESPN Browns games.

We do have the local rights for Titans ESPN games for the next 3 years. If there are any.

redblkwht
04-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Bro,

Who do you see them bringing in? I still like Madden. Even though I think Al Michaels is great, I always liked the pairing of Madden and Summeral better. Dan Deirdorf sucks too. I agree but the
80's & 90's are done someone
needs to step up..

ok dude whos the babe in the avatar?

MAX
04-20-2005, 12:58 AM
ok dude whos the babe in the avatar?

It's Lisa Marie Presley. lol.

I agree about moving on but with whom?

MAX
04-20-2005, 12:58 AM
We do have the local rights for Titans ESPN games for the next 3 years. If there are any.

Suuup Zill? :cool:

redblkwht
04-20-2005, 01:03 AM
Fred Goldman & OJ?
fuck i dunno..

Bill Lumbergh
04-20-2005, 01:04 AM
Fred Goldman & OJ?
fuck i dunno..

:D

MAX
04-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Fred Goldman & OJ?
fuck i dunno..

We'll bring back Dennis Miller while we're at it. lol

redblkwht
04-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by MAX
We'll bring back Dennis Miller while we're at it. lol
Fuckin a dude, pee wee herman
coulda did a better job than him..

scenario 1)
Ditka, Simms & Musberger?

2)
Simms, Salisbury & Marino

long shot..

LT, Ditka & Deon..lmao

vanzilla
04-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Al and John in the booth. With ABC and ESPN essentially being under the same roof, it's a strong possiblity. Although, I think Madden's addition hasn't been the rating's boost that ABC had hoped it would be.

My biggest problem with this is that the NFL - or really it's more like FOX and CBS - were so reluctantant to allow flexible scheduling that ABC really had no other choice but to ditch it considering the hundreds of millions of dollars they were losing each year. I'm not blaming FOX or CBS, I'd do the same thing if I were in there position. But with the parody taking place in the league, a hot team in January could be ice cold come November. That's what has killed MNF in my opinion, and if they continue to force the games to be scheduled in April, it will continue.

vanzilla
04-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Fuckin a dude, pee wee herman
coulda did a better job than him..

scenario 1)
Ditka, Simms & Musberger?

2)
Simms, Salisbury & Marino

long shot..

LT, Ditka & Deon..lmao

Deon can kiss my white ass. I hope he continues playing for the next 10 years just so he can stay out of the booth.

Man - I really like the guys on HBO's Inside the NFL. I wonder if ESPN could lure Costas, Marino, and Carter to MNJF? I think Marino is the weekest link on that show, but his picks are always solid. Collinsworth probably couldn't get out of his CBS contract.

That show, along with HBO's Real Sports are the gold standard in my opinion.

vanzilla
04-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Suuup Zill? :cool:

A belated hello Max. Sorry I didn't catch this sooner bro.:cool:

twonabomber
04-20-2005, 04:52 PM

That show, along with HBO's Real Sports are the gold standard in my opinion.

yeah, but i dislike Bryant Gumbel almost as much as i hate Stephen A. Smith.

maybe Costas will get the Sunday night NFL/NBC gig.

redblkwht
04-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
yeah, but i dislike Bryant Gumbel almost as much as i hate Stephen A. Smith.

maybe Costas will get the Sunday night NFL/NBC gig.
Hek why not give a shot back
at brent musberger?
add costas & ditka or simms.

BrownSound1
04-20-2005, 05:46 PM
So who is showing Sunday Night and Thursday night games? Does ESPN have all of those too?

As far as announcers go, I would wager that it'll be the same as last year, with perhaps an addition. Trouble with all of that is, there are really no stand out NFL announcers anymore.

BTW, wasn't Pat Summerall doing some announcing last season?

Brett
04-20-2005, 05:54 PM
No NBC is getting the Sunday and Thursday night games.

In their primes, the Summerall/Madden combo was my favorite. I really enjoyed listening to the games they did.

Pat Summerall filled in on Sunday Night Football when that Mike Whateverhislastnameis had some heart problems. He fills in now and then on Fox too I'm pretty sure. He's basically semi-retired though.

Bill Lumbergh
04-20-2005, 07:54 PM
I just read that the Thursday Night and late season Saturday games may be shown on the NFL Network. (which us Dish Network subscribers DO NOT get!). That is just specualtion by several sources, though.

MAX
04-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I just read that the Thursday Night and late season Saturday games may be shown on the NFL Network. (which us Dish Network subscribers DO NOT get!). That is just specualtion by several sources, though.

NFL Network isn't on Dish Network? Hahahaha, you poor bastard. :p

It's funny cos the entire reason I got DirecTV was for the NFL Season Ticket. I couldn't live without it.

Bill Lumbergh
04-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by MAX
NFL Network isn't on Dish Network? Hahahaha, you poor bastard. :p

It's funny cos the entire reason I got DirecTV was for the NFL Season Ticket. I couldn't live without it.

I watch ALL the Rams games not televised on my satellite at my friends house(who has Direct).........so fuck you two times biotch!

MAX
04-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
so fuck you two times biotch!

Only TWICE? :( I thought you could do better big fella.

The Rams, oops I forgot. lmao. :rolleyes:

superdave
04-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Monday Night Football needs some non football types to do the announcing--say Bobby Heenan and David Lee Roth?? LOL

POJO_Risin
04-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Okay...RBW...you're my bro and all...but...

DO YOU ACTUALLY WATCH THE FUCKING GAMES?

Holy shit...

Brent Musberger? Dude...you want to talk about someone who can't call a fucking game...holy mother of god....

You said Madden makes mistakes...watch Musberger call anything...no freakin' clue...college football and basketball...is just painful with him callin' the plays...

Madden makes mistakes? Simms makes Madden look like fucking Einstein, and Aikman...actually isn't bad...but isn't up to Madden standards. I would enjoy Nance, Simms and Aikman though...it would have the feel of the old days...minus Cosell thought...I'd take that crew in the booth any time at MNF...if Madden couldn't do it...

Madden is still top notch...and to breath the name of fucking Ditka into this is...well...fucking ass insane...

No...I don't think Madden is as good as he was in the past (with Summerall), but there isn't anyone else close to him at this point...

MAX
04-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Simms makes Madden look like fucking Einstein, and Aikman...actually isn't bad...but isn't up to Madden standards.

I still don't get why you think Simms is so bad. I think he's pretty good. You know who sucks is Chris Collinsworth. He bugs the shit out of me.

POJO_Risin
04-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Simms is a fucking know it all...and quite often talks out of his ass...

I get daily sick of his idiotic stories of his good ole' days...and what fucking Parcells would do...

He's better than a lot of guys...but he's not as good at calling a game as Madden is...

MAX
04-20-2005, 08:52 PM
How about Al Michaels?

POJO_Risin
04-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Michaels is a good all around announcer...not a thrill listening to him call MNF games...

but I will say he's an equal to Gifford...has a good voice for the job...

The problem aren't the announcers...they are the games...

MAX
04-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
The problem aren't the announcers...they are the games...

No shit. By the end of the season they have some real snoozers.

POJO_Risin
04-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Well...like I said...the NFL and the channels won't work with the floating schedule...so fuck it...

what happened had to happen...

Bob_R
04-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Hell ill do one better, i dug OJ in the booth too..im dead serious.

They should have OJ do a Thanksgiving game. Since that is his favorite holiday.

redblkwht
04-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
They should have OJ do a Thanksgiving game. Since that is his favorite holiday. since your in the chastasizing mood..
can i have that supersized too?
pojo, wouldnt you like OJ back in there? lmao
honest id think it would work,
but wouldnt happen.:lol:

MAX
04-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Shit, reluctantly speaking of Orenthal. I remember he actually anchored MNF for one season when I was like in eighth grade or something?

redblkwht
04-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Shit, reluctantly speaking of Orenthal. I remember he actually anchored MNF for one season when I was like in eighth grade or something? Bro we gotta be around the same age..lol;)

MAX
04-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Bro we gotta be around the same age..lol;)

Ummmmm.......

I think so boss. ;)

BrownSound1
04-21-2005, 05:38 PM
The thing with Madden is really chemistry...he and Michaels don't have that yet. When he had Summerall you had two guys who had actually been on the field, and Summerall has a good "broadcasting" voice as well.

As long as they don't get that Paul McGwire or Dan Dierdorf...I hate those fucking guys.

vanzilla
04-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Did anyone see the article USA Today, or SI did on Summerall since he was taken out of the main booth at Fox? It was pretty sad. The guy is going through some major health problems and is not doing well at all. Plus, he's pretty much accepted the fact that FOX is trying to push him out the door because he's considered too old. It was a great read. I'll try to find it and post the link

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 01:39 AM
FOX did push him out the door didn't they?

He did some work for CBS during the Masters...basically voice overs...I got the distinct impression that they were giving him work...

not looking good for Summerall...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeah, he had major health problems 'cause he was a lush for so many years....

He actually filled in on Sunday Night games last year after Mike Patrick had surgery....

Much more pleasant to hear than that blowhard Theismann....

POJO_Risin
04-23-2005, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't mind a 1 year reunion of Madden and Summerall...

anything to get Theisman out of the booth...

I just don't like ESPN getting the package...

and it will be interesting to see what NBC does for their announce team...they only need 1...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-23-2005, 10:49 AM
I've heard, brace yourself, Marv Albert for NBC....

Bob_R
04-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I've heard, brace yourself, Marv Albert for NBC....

I wonder if he'll be wearing women's clothes? :D