• Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The Jerry Seinfeld Rule For Voting Republican

The Jerry Seinfeld Rule For Voting Republican
    22 April 2005

"The players change, the manager changes, the ballpark changes. About the only thing that stays the same is the uniform. When you get down to it, what you're really rooting for is the shirt."
    --Jerry Seinfeld

Jerry Seinfeld's observations on baseball remind me a lot of current politics. While many long-time Republicans supported John Kerry in 2004, realizing his views are more in accordance with their underlying values than the extremist views of the neoconservatives currently in control of the Republican party, many people continued to vote Republican. Obviously the players have changed. The "ballpark" has also changed--in this case the underlying viewpoints. While there are no uniforms, what they were really rooting for was just the party name.

On foreign policy, imagine if a Democrat had taken office receiving specific warnings from the previous administration about a foreign threat and ignored it, and then continued to ignore continuing warnings about an impending attack. In the old days, Republicans would have been all over such incompetence, not voting to reelect the administration based upon national security concerns.

True Republicans would respect the military service of John Kerry, not attack it in order to make the record of someone such as George Bush who avoided his responsibilities appear less objectionable.

The modern conservative movement often refers to the Goldwater take-over of the GOP in 1964 as their start, forgetting how Barry Goldwater was a major opponent of their new allies on the religious right. Republicans who in the past promised to get government off our backs now support a government which has become more intrusive in individual's lives.

Republicans warned about deficits and big government in the past, Bill Clinton announced that the era of big government is over, and left office with a surplus. George Bush brought back both deficits and big government. Corporate welfare has replaced their support for free enterprise.

Republicans oppose the current judges, forgetting most were appointed by Republicans. For example, according to the Los Angeles Times, "Ninety-four of the 162 active judges now on the U.S. Court of Appeals were chosen by Republican presidents. On 10 of the 13 circuit courts, Republican appointees have a clear majority. And, since 1976, at least seven of the nine seats on the U.S. Supreme Court have been filled by Republican appointees." Similarly Republicans have forgotten their old support for Federalism on issues ranging from the Terri Schiavo case to tort reform.

If Republicans had cool uniforms, maybe Jerry Seinfeld's ideas on baseball would apply to voting Republican. Unfortunately, not only have they abandoned their values, they don't even have uniforms. Observing the Bush administration, a better analogy would be to say that the emperor wears no clothes.

Ron Chusid @ 08:54 | comments(0) | Blog Entries
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

I guess when it comes down to it we're voting in humans and not idealogy.

Idealogy I can understand. You have a common mindset, a root understanding. Humans, we're all flawed creatures. Fickle sons o' bitches that ebb and flow like the tide with their emotions, needs, desires and agendas. They treat their party like a smorgesboard buffet. Picking and choosing the morsels they want and leaving the rest to rot. "Who cares, I'm not going to eat it" mentality.

Understanding where a person has been and what they've done in the past weighs heavy with me. Do they compromise or are they unbending. Do they vote with their constituencies or make up their minds for the lowly common folk that they're forced to see once every 4-6 years.

Perhaps if people took their vote seriously we'd have people that take their job seriously.

I still get a chuckle out of the Seinfeld bit. Still wish he'd a kept that one running!
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

AssVibe, did you change your medication? That was actually a reasoned logical response :eek:
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• McCarrens
        Foot Soldier
        • May 2004

Ford, is your life so empty you have nothing to do but bitch about something (the election) that happened months ago?

I mean, I don't agree with you but at least it makes sense to moan and groan about how you disagree with what Bush is doing now.

But still posting editorials and blog entries about why Kerry should have won the election and why America is (in your words) so foolish for re-electing Bush is pathetic.
        "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by McCarrens
          Ford, is your life so empty you have nothing to do but bitch about something (the election) that happened months ago?

I mean, I don't agree with you but at least it makes sense to moan and groan about how you disagree with what Bush is doing now.

But still posting editorials and blog entries about why Kerry should have won the election and why America is (in your words) so foolish for re-electing Bush is pathetic.
          The post really has nothing to do with Kerry. it comes from a blog that was founded by Kerry disciples, so they probably they thought they had to mention him at least once.

But the point of the article isn't Kerry at all. It's the fact that Republicans are voting for these neocon shitbags simply because they wear the name "Republican". Not because they stand for the values of Abe Lincoln, or Teddy Roosevelt, or Ike Eisenhower, or even Barry Goldwater. Because they simply do not.

The BCE has expanded the government more than anybody since FDR. And FDR had a good excuse - pulling the country out of a depression. The BCE has no justification for their giant bureaucratic leap to justify implementation of the Patriot Act (under the excuse of a non existent enemy)

The BCE has created the worst deficit in the history of this planet. After starting with a huge surplus left to them by a so-called "tax & spend liberal"

I submit to you that in practice, Clinton was a far better Republican than Junior.

If you go by the established traditions of the Republican party, you have to agree with that.

So it's not about Judas Iskerryot or about a stolen election. It's about millions of people buying into a lie just because they're attached to the brand name "Republican".
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Betty Bush III
            Groupie
            • Jul 2004

C'mon now. Are we still talking about John F'ing Kerry. He lost not because of faulty Diebold machines, but rather a faulty brain that creates faulty ideas that most normal Americans disagree with.

>Higher Taxes
            >Weak defense
            >United Nations
            >World Court
            >Tooth Fairy
            >etc..

The current Dems are the biggest collection of commi losers this country has ever seen.

Please someone tell me WHAT the Dems believe in post JFK.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Betty Bush III
              C'mon now. Are we still talking about John F'ing Kerry. He lost not because of faulty Diebold machines, but rather a faulty brain that creates faulty ideas that most normal Americans disagree with.

>Higher Taxes
              >Weak defense
              >United Nations
              >World Court
              >Tooth Fairy
              >etc..

The current Dems are the biggest collection of commi losers this country has ever seen.

Please someone tell me WHAT the Dems believe in post JFK.
              They believe in bigger government, disasterous foreign policy blunders, killing US troops in stupid & poorly planned wars, that Republicans are mindless and easily manipulated, welfare, and...oh wait, those are the Republicans nowadays?

Can someone please tell me what the Neo Con fools believe in post 2000?

Comment

• Betty Bush III
                Groupie
                • Jul 2004

It's easy to balance the budget when you raise taxes and cut military spending during "times of peace." During that "time of peace" Bin Laden had attacked US interests and planned 911. All of this happened while clinton was getting BJ's from a whale in the oval office and playing saxophone on MTV.

And who is the nonexistent enemy?

Last edited by Betty Bush III; 04-22-2005, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

It's easy to balance the budget when you raise taxes and cut military spending during "times of peace." During that "time of peace" Bin Laden had attacked US interests and planned 911. All of this happened while clinton was getting BJ's from a whale in the oval office and playing saxophone on MTV.

And who is the nonexistent enemy?

I submit to you that in practice, Clinton was a far better Republican than Junior.
                  I am really not sure what your point is, Clinton was a good president while Bush sucks ass? Is that it?

Comment

• Betty Bush III
                    Groupie
                    • Jul 2004

Look if I had my way we would elect a small Government Libertarian/conservative. But since we have to choose between the 2 party loser system, the choice is easy. Republican.

Bush has spent too much money to be a good fiscal conservative. He should cut all of the useless social programs and ACTUALLY reform welfare by reducing it to almost nothing. And if people turn to crime instead of work then we build more prisons.

Comment

• Betty Bush III
                      Groupie
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      I am really not sure what your point is, Clinton was a good president while Bush sucks ass? Is that it?

No, I think you mean Clinton sucks ass and is a traitor to the country.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

He he he!

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

You want traitors? Look here

Every last name listed on that page is guilty of treason against the United States of America, and war crimes against the people of Iraq and Afghanistan.

You won't find Bill Clinton's name anywhere on the list.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Clinton was an average president in the grand scheme of things, and Sandy Berger will make sure by shredding all the proof that his administration had none of the blame for 9/11.

Comment

• academic punk
                              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                              Clinton was an average president in the grand scheme of things, and Sandy Berger will make sure by shredding all the proof that his administration had none of the blame for 9/11.

Sandy Berger - the Democrats wishy-washy answer to Ollie North.

Clinton did a solid job (and got an even better blow job!). Eight years, and he accomplished a great deal. He'll be strongly remembered, if for only being the only Democratic president in a 40 year Republican stronghold. That in itself - and within the confines of the opposing side controlling the house and senate - is accomplishment.

Comment

Working...