PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Hard Rock

ULTRAMAN VH
04-22-2005, 01:35 PM
I am very discusted and fed up with Rap and Hip Hop. And before I get started, I am in no way a racist or close minded bigot. The music industry has found a new money maker and is running away with it. Unfortunatley there will be repercussians in the future.
When I was growing up, I was subjected to music at an early age. My father had a plethera of music on reel to reel tapes. This is back in the early to mid 70's for the youngsters who haven't a clue what a reel to reel player is. Anyway I listened to Motown, surf music, and the British Invasion. I can say to this day I still love this stuff. It was music, not some electronic loop. Yes folks there were actual musicians back then who really sang and played their instruments. In the 70's this music was considered to be classic. As I grew older I began listening to Kiss, Judas Priest, and VanHalen. This drove my parents crazy. To them it was noise. Now remember,I had an appreciation for their generation of music. As time went on I became the music director for the family reunions and 4th of July Parties. I provided the music. I made mix tapes of my parents music and mixed in some country and alternative for my younger cousins. But I also mixed in some classic VanHalen, AC-DC and Kiss for my generation. Well nothing tickeled me more than hearing my mom sing along to Jamie's Cryin with my niece's and nephews.
Now lets jump ahead 10 years. I really can't imagine my self or anyone singing along to a Ludacris or 50 cent tune. As a matter of fact I don't see this crap ever being considered classic, like say the Beatles or The Stones. There is going to be a huge gap in the music industry with the absence of Hard Rock an Rock music in general.
Okay so there is Chevelle and The Darkness, and I really dug the earlier stuff by Creed. But the Hard Rock music of today is lacking energy. I truly feel back in 96 if the real VH had reunited it would have been a much needed shot of adrenaline for Hard Rock music. Younger bands at the time would have been influenced by the veteran VH to play guitars solo's and write music about good time's, not stuff about killing cops, killing your parents and referring to women as HOE'S. And last but not least, the promotion of Crack use and other illicit drugs. Unfortunatley, years later we were subjected to Van Halen lite or Van HAGAR which limped from state to state leaving Hard Rock in it's sedated coma.
I also blame the local radio stations. Instead of promoting new rock bands they continue to give heavy rotation to Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix. Great band's, but come on folk's this stuff is 35 years old. Another annoying factor is all the talk from the morning shows to the afternoon programs. If I wanted talk, I would flip my radio over to AM. They even have the audacity to play the Best Of these morning FM talk shows on weekends. Rock is Dead

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Real rock music is not dead, it's just gone underground.

Don't worry the fashion pendulum will swing the other way and rock music will be king again.

flappo
04-22-2005, 01:42 PM
agree with that

'rock is dead they say'

monkeythe
04-22-2005, 01:48 PM
You can't blame the local radio stations. They don't exist anymore. However, you can blame the big corps like Clear Channel for killing what was once known as local radio. They've done such a great job that people are now buying satellite radio to listen to the type of selection they used to get for free. I recommend that you get XM or Sirius and they have a good selection of new rock music that you won't hear anywhere else.

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 01:50 PM
BBC Radio and Galaxy sucks.

Nothing but hip-hop and indie!

Damn Razorlight!

nosuchluck
04-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
Real rock music is not dead, it's just gone underground.

Don't worry the fashion pendulum will swing the other way and rock music will be king again.

took the words right out of my mouth - about the 'gone underground' bit.
don't care much for the fashion pendulum, though.

Soul Reaper
04-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
don't care much for the fashion pendulum, though.

yeah, well, it is true.

Panamark
04-23-2005, 01:09 AM
Just when you think Rock is dead and buried.
It always comes back !

And they don't really know even what they're talkin' about
And I can't imagine what empty heads can achieve.
Leave me alone don't want your promises no more
'Cause rock'n'roll is my religion and my law
Won't ever change, may think it's strange

You can't kill rock'n'roll it's here to stay

nosuchluck
04-23-2005, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
yeah, well, it is true.

sure, rock might come back into fashion. my point is that it doesnt matter to me if it does.

Soul Reaper
04-23-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
sure, rock might come back into fashion. my point is that it doesnt matter to me if it does.

it's not in 'fashion' now, but it is still more important than hip-hop and fake pop music

Terry
04-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Rock aint dead.

Just 'cuz it's not being focused on in every media outlet, unlike rap or American Idol-esque pop, means nada, unless you require everyone else to be listening to rock in order to validate it for you.

Tell you what might have turned a lot of potential hard rock fans onto rap and top 40 shit in the late 1980s/early 1990s though: faux-hard rock.

Top-40 power ballad shit music, wrapped up in spandex and marketed with a "hard rock" image. Shit like Warrant, Bon Jovi, Winger, Poison and the like. Forced to choose between that and rap, I'll take the latter.

Hard rock scene is still active. You just gotta dig a little deeper than before to find the good stuff. Nothing wrong with that. Makes you appreciate it all the more when you find it.

SoldMySoul4RnR
04-24-2005, 12:20 AM
The fact that its "underground" makes it cooler anyway.

bueno bob
04-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Hard rock going mainstream in the 80s was one of the worst things that could have ever happened to it. Metal (or "Metal") became trendy for a bit due to the success of bands like Maiden, Priest, etc, so what did you get? The inevitable watered-down metal bands that were "safer" for radio play than those groups were - Trixter, Winger, Warrant, Poison, Firehouse, blah blah blah...Nirvana was such a breath of fresh air to more extreme music after all the hair-metal noise of the late 80s, it was no wonder that hard rock and heavy metal became viewed as a fucking joke.

That being said, I hate the radio these days. Nu-metal is fucking crap, I can't tell Korn from Slipknot from any of the other 5000 horseshit sound alike acts. Rap and hip-hop both suck - LONG gone are the days when Will Smith, Sir Mix-a-Lot and the others in the same school of rap could actually make it even remotely listenable. I just laugh my ass off when I see some 16 year old white kid in the car his dad bought for him with a $4000 stereo blaring the crap at a stoplight, bobbing his head and flashing gang-banger hand symbols, and I try to make sure they SEE me laughing at them...because they need to know that they just look fucking GAY doing it.

Gone are the days, hunh?

Well, maybe in another few years, things'll at least change with radio formats, who knows...?

rustoffa
04-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Just when you think Rock is dead and buried.
It always comes back !

And they don't really know even what they're talkin' about
And I can't imagine what empty heads can achieve.
Leave me alone don't want your promises no more
'Cause rock'n'roll is my religion and my law
Won't ever change, may think it's strange

You can't kill rock'n'roll it's here to stay

:killer:

The advent of mass media has forever changed the dynamics of popular or whatever music promotion/marketing. I personally think the removal of "Jefferson" from "Starship" and the resulting sound was the rorsach test that blinded record executives.

You get popular nu-metal outfits that are as sterile as fucking Ashlee Simpson.

As bad as it is, hard work and kicking ass still pays off. Mastodon is a local act that paid fucking dues and recently signed to a major for their efforts.

The whole "underground" thing is marketed as well, make no mistake.

Grunge, Nu-Metal, the current "big eighties" resurgence.....

As long as it falls under a cliche to live by, fuck it.

"It's Only Rock And Roll"
:p

here it comes, you're never gonna top it
on a run, no way you can stop it
total style, perfection in decay
running wild, flat out all the way

now you can ride it high
and you can light the way
lift up your hands in praise
you can't stop rock 'n' roll

like a charging bull, it's a juggernaut
with steam at full, never to be caught
incarnate power, roaring from the sky
while others cower, rock ain't gonna die

now you can ride it high

it's an angry steed,
on a never ending course
with grace and speed
it's an unrelenting force
his head thrown back, defiantly proud
under constant attack,
it's blasting, fast and loud

now you can ride it high

can't stop, can't you stop it
can't stop you can't stop it

Panamark
04-24-2005, 02:01 AM
FUCK YEAH !!!!!!!!!! :D

As long as there are Marshalls and guitars.

ROCK WILL NEVER DIE !

Terry
04-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Hard rock going mainstream in the 80s was one of the worst things that could have ever happened to it. Metal (or "Metal") became trendy for a bit due to the success of bands like Maiden, Priest, etc, so what did you get? The inevitable watered-down metal bands that were "safer" for radio play than those groups were - Trixter, Winger, Warrant, Poison, Firehouse, blah blah blah...Nirvana was such a breath of fresh air to more extreme music after all the hair-metal noise of the late 80s, it was no wonder that hard rock and heavy metal became viewed as a fucking joke.

That being said, I hate the radio these days. Nu-metal is fucking crap, I can't tell Korn from Slipknot from any of the other 5000 horseshit sound alike acts. Rap and hip-hop both suck - LONG gone are the days when Will Smith, Sir Mix-a-Lot and the others in the same school of rap could actually make it even remotely listenable. I just laugh my ass off when I see some 16 year old white kid in the car his dad bought for him with a $4000 stereo blaring the crap at a stoplight, bobbing his head and flashing gang-banger hand symbols, and I try to make sure they SEE me laughing at them...because they need to know that they just look fucking GAY doing it.

Gone are the days, hunh?

Well, maybe in another few years, things'll at least change with radio formats, who knows...?

Brilliant as per norm.

Recently read that more and more rock stations are closing up shop 'cuz station owners have discovered that advertising dollars lie in stations that utilize a hip-hop/rap format.

Local rock station around here has degenerated over the past ten years to the point where there are 40 minutes out of an hour when you hear nothing but imbecilic DJ prattle (all of these guys seem to think that combining second-rate Howard Stern material in a voice sounding like Don Imus is the way to immortality) and commercials, and when they DO get around to playing music it's the same old tunes they've been playing for years (got nothing against Pink Floyd, but there's more to the group than the same five tunes that get played over and over again. Same goes for Led Zep).

Almost sounds sacreligious, but I'll be glad when they close that fucker down. Better to disintegrate than carry on in a pale imitation of one's former self.

BALLYJUNKIE
04-25-2005, 12:42 AM
i agree ,rock is dead ,and it makes me sad ,the greatest music of our time and these kids under 30 dont know it .one the reasons rock is dead is theres really no good young rock bands out there,trying to keep the spirit of rock alive .just give me some great guitar rock will ya !!!!!.. as far as the rap /hip hop goes ,what abothers me the most is the drum machine ,same beat thru out the whole song ,no drum fills ,time changes ,breaks . the music business is in sad shape

larbo
04-25-2005, 01:13 PM
ultraman vh I agree with you 100%. I'm tired of this shit. it's at the point it's rediculous. from what I've seen all they do is glorify guns and fuckin white girls. I live in w.v. and guns aint no big shit to me or any other southern man. it's hard not to be racist in this day and age. most everybody you see acts black. If I did'nt have a personality I could find someone better to act like. our ancestors did'nt take this country and build it to what it is to let it get ripped apart by a bunch of low IQ idiots. and every time you turn on the news you hear about black kids attacking white kids. they tried that shit here and they got surprized. when you jump on a hillbilly you better hang the fuck on cause it's gonna get crazy. I stopped at a red light in another town(cause we have no blacks in my county) and these two were be-boppin to some rap shit so I cranked unchained and smiled and when the light turned red layed a fuckin blackmark they will never forget. and if they would say or do anything stupid here, they get put back in their place real fuckin quick. more people like us need to speak up and let'em know rock & roll will kick their fucking ass.

mewisemagic
04-25-2005, 02:10 PM
larbo,110% agreed!you oughtta come down here to texas and see this shit,its unimagineable!

mewisemagic
04-25-2005, 02:11 PM
ultraman,great thread!id give ya 5 stars if i knew how..

Carmine
04-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by mewisemagic
ultraman,great thread!id give ya 5 stars if i knew how..

Mewise...its real easy. Up in the corner of the persons post that you want to give a 5 star, click the "profile" box. Once you are there, click "rate this user". select 1 -5 stars, click which one you want, you're done!

larbo
04-25-2005, 04:15 PM
you oughtta come down here to texas and see this shit,its unimagineable!

you'd think with all the country people there it would'nt be that bad.