PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Jackson 'Viable' Option For Job

Warham
04-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Jackson 'Viable' Option for Job

Kupchak says the Lakers, coming off a terrible season, have spoken to former coach but haven't offered the position to anyone.

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak tried to put an 82-game season behind him Thursday, casting an eye to what lies ahead and mentioning Phil Jackson as a feasible coaching candidate to separate the Lakers from their deep-seated troubles.

As the players descended on team headquarters in El Segundo for one of the last times this season — lockers had to be cleaned and exit meetings had to be conducted — Kupchak said the former Laker coach was a "viable candidate".

Jackson has been spotted at the team offices numerous times in the last two months, often to visit longtime girlfriend and team executive Jeanie Buss. Jackson also attended an April 7 game at Staples Center in the luxury suite of team owner Jerry Buss, a scene played out in front of a national television audience.

Jackson and the Lakers abruptly parted ways last June, with Buss suggesting Jackson's triangle offense had run its course after five seasons.

"[Jackson] has spoken to us," Kupchak said. "We've met with him on occasion. He was in our building a couple of times in the last two or three weeks. In fact, I was at my desk a week ago and he came in and sat down and we talked for about 45 minutes.

"The job has not been offered to anybody. At this point in time, I would characterize our relationship with Phil as casual. The interest, or the possibility remains, that he would be a coach for this team.

"The fact that he's in the building, attending games with our owner in his box, and stopped by to say hello to me, I think that indicates there's some interest there. What level of interest I really don't know."

Jackson's agent, Todd Musburger, said there was definitely interest — from numerous teams seeking Jackson's availability.

"I have a feeling that Phil is on a number of lists and it seems as though the Lakers are one of many," Musburger said.

Jackson is believed to be on the short list of at least five teams, some of whom could offer perks such as a minority ownership stake. If he decides to return to coaching, Jackson could command in the $8-million to $10-million range in annual salary.

As for the Lakers, a team source said Jackson is intrigued by their lineup. He likes the potential of forward Lamar Odom, the improved play of small forward Caron Butler, and he believes center Chris Mihm has some upside. He knows what he gets with Kobe Bryant — a top one-on-one talent whom Jackson portrayed as an uncoachable enigma in his tell-all diary released last October.

Kupchak said he would not consult with Bryant during the Laker coaching search. Other possibilities include former Minnesota Timberwolf coach Flip Saunders and Detroit Piston Coach Larry Brown.

Many in the Laker organization understand the need for a big-name hire. Among other ignominies, the Lakers missed the playoffs for only the fifth time in the franchise's 58-year history, finished three games behind the Clippers, and tied for 11th in the Western Conference.

There were 12 non-sellouts this season at Staples Center, more than the last four seasons combined, and the atmosphere bordered on boring in the final weeks. There were more than 3,500 no-shows for the home finale Sunday against the Dallas Mavericks.

Through it all, Kupchak has tried to remain resolute, starting with a "town-hall" meeting last week at Staples Center where he told season-ticket holders to remain on board.

"If you make the decision on one season," he said, "you're making a big mistake."

At the same meeting, as questions flew about Bryant's presence and Shaquille O'Neal's absence and the wayward direction of the franchise, a season-ticket holder demanded Kupchak's resignation, citing the O'Neal trade to Miami as probable cause.

The Heat finished with the best record in the Eastern Conference and O'Neal has a strong shot at adding another league most-valuable-player award.

"It will be a real tough nut to swallow if they win the championship," a Laker official said. "It would be very, very difficult for this franchise after the trade and everything that went with it."

Bryant averaged 26.7 points and finished second in the league in scoring, but he often had trouble incorporating teammates into the offense.

"I think at times he did that, but this is a learning process for him and for the rest of the guys on this team," Kupchak said. "I can look to games where Kobe elevated players' play throughout the game and for a sustained period of time. I can look at games where he didn't. I can say the same for Lamar, Caron and Chucky [Atkins]. As a group, we have to do a better job of playing together and making each others' game better."

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 04:10 PM
I don't think this will happen...but again...it would be a smart move on their part...

ALinChainz
04-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Won't happen.

Not with Kobe there, I don't believe it.

Hell, if they go after Larry Brown, I say the Pistons talk serious to Jackson.

Dumars don't mess around, proved that by moving Carlisle.

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't think the Lakers will go after Larry Brown...

Warham
04-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Larry's too boring for LA.

Same for Flip Saunders.

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Didn't they hire Del Harris at one point?

Warham
04-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Yes, and look how that turned out.

I actually liked Del for most of the time he was in LA.

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 04:45 PM
A respected basketball man...that seemed to get walked on by everyone...

I bet Del LOVED Van Exel...;)

Warham
04-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Hey, I might have been wrong about Phil Jackson, and perhaps I shit on his too fast.

Come back Phil!

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 04:49 PM
What if Phil came back...and was able to bring back Shaq?

would you say the same?

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Am I being repetative?

Mezro
04-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Mezro...give me Rollie Massimino...let that dumpy fucker prowl the court...

Warham
04-22-2005, 04:54 PM
No, I don't want Shaq back, even if Phil comes back.

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 05:05 PM
lmfao...I didn't ask you if you wanted Shaq back...

what if he came back?

I don't really care about the answer to be honest...

Warham
04-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Oh, what if he was dragged back to LA? You are asking my opinion on that...

I'd take it like I took it when Dennis Rodman signed on back in '99.

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Hmmm...Rodman is looking for a job!

Va Beach VH Fan
04-22-2005, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Phil came back, but to me I just don't see him coming back....

I mean, this situation is not going to get better overnight...

The Shaq trade fucked them up so much, it might take them a couple of seasons just to get to respectability...

POJO_Risin
04-23-2005, 10:44 AM
I just can't see him working with Kobe again...I don't know...unless he looks at it as a challenge...like Brett was saying...

I just don't see it...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-23-2005, 10:53 AM
I bet he's going to New Yawk....

The native son returns....

Brett
04-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Good riddance to Shaq, don't miss him, don't care. It was a nice run. The only people who can't seem to deal with it are the tools that probably just started following Laker basketball after they won in 2000. I guess they forgot 1989-1999 where they weren't winning every year.

Phil isn't going to coach the Knicks. You think the Lakers are a mess, the Knicks are 10x worse off, finanically, and as a team. And if you got Isiah Thomas running your front office, run for your life. Horrible team with no upside. No chance he goes to the Knicks. If he does, he's a fool. The highest-profile gig is the Lakers, he dates Jeannie, he has a history, he's said he likes some of the players. He could come back for sure, but I don't see him wanting to rebuild, he's not that kind of coach. Who knows.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Well, ESPNEWS is reporting that Phil is gonna meet with Kobe....

We shall see....

Brett
04-25-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm sure the meeting will go well, Kobe always respected Phil as a coach, and has said it about a million times. It's Phil's feelings about Kobe and his book. If they can try to put it behind them, it could work. But just last a month he said any team that has Kobe Bryant on it can win a title. So who knows what his deal is. I also don't think Kobe wants to be blamed if Phil doesn't come back.

Warham
04-26-2005, 06:51 AM
Kobe's probably tired of the bum rap he's gotten so far, so if he 'allows' Phil to come back, the media might lay off him for awhile.

Brett
04-26-2005, 01:24 PM
It couldn't hurt, plus it couldn't hurt to get a buzz going here about the Lakers with Phil coming back. Was a pretty shitty season.

And in the end players win games, not coaches, and the Lakers do have some trouble areas. With Phil back though, I think you might see Kobe move to the point, Caron Butler to the 2, Lamar Odom to the 3....and they go get a power forward, some kind of presence in the middle. Phil likes big guards. Same type of lineup the Bulls had success with. Just need a Rodman-type inside, and Odom to assert himself more on D.